Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are electricians price gouging because you bought a tesla model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking of getting the HPWC but my electrician told me my fuse box doesn't support it. If I wanted the HPWC installed I would need to get a new fuse box which would involved me contacting the power company to get new wiring done. Total cost of everything is around $15k.
Your panel may be maxed out, but the HPWC is configurable down to a 15A breaker.

I haven't ordered my 3 yet but have been trying to work out my electrical needs so I'm prepared when I do. I plan to run a 100 amp subpanel from basement to garage (30') but was under the impression 6 gauge wasn't enough and was looking more at 3. I don't know a ton about this but am trying to learn, any knowledge would be appreciated!

6AWG is definitely too small for a 100A subpanel.

2AWG THHN copper conductors pulled through buried conduit would be ideal. The ground conductor only needs to be 6AWG I think (double-check this) It gets you to a full 100A panel (100A breaker in your main panel). Aluminum #2 SER cable is common and pretty cheap, but can only carry 90A (90A breaker in your main panel).

Other considerations:
Run buried PVC conduit out to the garage for a clean look instead of overhead wires.
Drop in some extra 1" conduit runs with your power run so you can pull other lines out to the garage in the future. I installed 2 extra, empty conduit runs with pull strings. I'll probably run ethernet in one and a 3-way switch for garage exterior lights to the house in the other.

Tesla offers recommendations for electricians in my area. They were all well above $1000-$1200.
I found a private electrician that was going to charge me $400 (and that included the permit).
In the end I opted for my solar company to do it. They only charged me $500. And that included the permit.
Granted, my installation was nothing fancy. The place on the garage wall where I needed the 240V outlet was right on the other side of the wall from the electric panel.

I paid $800 + WC cost to get the following, and the electrician knew it was for a Tesla. On install day it was the electrician and a helper for <2hrs.

- 100A circuit ran about 60ft into garage (future proofing)
- 60A breaker (allowing charge to 48A continuous)
- 100A disconnect inside new subpanel
- Tesla WC installed and configured with hard conduit

A proper quote should spell out material usage and hourly rates. You can ballpark both on your own to see if it's high, and as everyone recommends get a few quotes.

Do Tesla approved electricians charge more? Probably yes. I have used 2 in different states, and they charged the same. They also use better grade receptacles and breakers designed for long term use at maximum draw. Also, Tesla does not void your battery warranty over damage from an improper install. As a Tesla employee said to me” isn’t it worth a few hundred to protect a $18,000 investment?”

• Disagree
Reactions: nvx1977
I think some responses have hinted this, but let me come out and say it. Almost nobody needs a HPWC. A NEMA 14-50 outlet and free Tesla mobile charger will easily charge from empty to full overnight, and few drivers will ever need that much in one night. NEMA 14-50 is less expensive to have electrician install, and easier/less expensive to self install. Are Tesla recommended electricians gouging? Probably. Don’t accept that. Get quotes until you get something < $350 + $10 per foot between outlet and panel. That’s assuming you have capacity in panel.

PS you don’t want to be gouged. But you certainly want to be gauged:) (correctly)!!!

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I think some responses have hinted this, but let me come out and say it. Almost nobody needs a HPWC. A NEMA 14-50 outlet and free Tesla mobile charger will easily charge from empty to full overnight, and few drivers will ever need that much in one night. NEMA 14-50 is less expensive to have electrician install, and easier/less expensive to self install. Are Tesla recommended electricians gouging? Probably. Don’t accept that. Get quotes until you get something < $350 + $10 per foot between outlet and panel. That’s assuming you have capacity in panel.

PS you don’t want to be gouged. But you certainly want to be gauged:) (correctly)!!!

For occasional use sure, but if you are setting up your high frequency use home charge station, and do not want to wear out your 14-50 socket taking the UMC with you, and do not currently have a 14-50 installed, the HPWC is not unreasonable.

HPWC $500
UMC $300 + 14-50 Socket

HPWC also allows for load splitting if you are a 2 Tesla garage. 8 foot version is less cluttery for single spot garages.

For occasional use sure, but if you are setting up your high frequency use home charge station, and do not want to wear out your 14-50 socket taking the UMC with you, and do not currently have a 14-50 installed, the HPWC is not unreasonable.

HPWC $500
UMC $300 + 14-50 Socket

HPWC also allows for load splitting if you are a 2 Tesla garage. 8 foot version is less cluttery for single spot garages.
Wear out socket???? I’m almost 6 years into UMC and 14-50 setup for daily use, there’s no durability issue. You can buy second UMC for $300 and leave one in car if worried. Agree regarding load splitting and beauty, but I see/hear many new owners jumping to assumption they wil need HPWC, which is incremental $500 plus higher install costs. Most don’t need, and if you are $ sensitive, don’t bother!

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Wear out socket???? I’m almost 6 years into UMC and 14-50 setup for daily use, there’s no durability issue. You can buy second UMC for $300 and leave one in car if worried. Agree regarding load splitting and beauty, but I see/hear many new owners jumping to assumption they wil need HPWC, which is incremental $500 plus higher install costs. Most don’t need, and if you are $ sensitive, don’t bother!

I'm speaking of the 14-50 socket for the use case of people who take their UMC with themselves often. It may not be an issue, but I know many types of connectors have limited mating cycles. If it stays plug in, sure no issue.

I was recently quoted $290 to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet next to the panel in my garage. Already have 60A service, which mostly goes unused.

Who said anything about a Tesla??? Not me. ;) This is Nissan Leaf country (the plant where they make them is just a few miles down the road - in my lifetime I've seen about 30 Leafs, and exactly 2 Teslas locally.) They probably just assume...