Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are electricians price gouging because you bought a tesla model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Ottawa Ontario Canada and I am only 20 feet away from my electric panel and recieved 2 quotes so far. Without the cost of the Tesla wall charger ($733.00 including tax).
The two quotes were similar. About $1800.00 including taxes. This makes it a $2500.00 cost before incentives. There are suppose to be around $800 in ev charging rebates if our premier doesn't eliminate them. What are you guys paying for installations?

I live in Ottawa Ontario Canada and I am only 20 feet away from my electric panel and recieved 2 quotes so far. Without the cost of the Tesla wall charger ($733.00 including tax).
The two quotes were similar. About $1800.00 including taxes. This makes it a $2500.00 cost before incentives. There are suppose to be around $800 in ev charging rebates if our premier doesn't eliminate them. What are you guys paying for installations?

Four years ago we paid about $1500 for installation, pre rebates. However, that included a bit of nasty routing and a secondary meter to track our EV power usage. I would definitely say that they charged a premium because I was forced to use a specific installer to get a rebate from Toronto Hydro.

I'd suggest you try getting a quote for a 240V welder socket in your garage. 20 foot run to a 14-50 etc.

Don't forget the ESA inspection is about $100

Reactions: NeverFollow
I'd suggest you try getting a quote for a 240V welder socket in your garage. 20 foot run to a 14-50 etc.
I am certain contractors will see through this. Which welder in their right mind wouldn't be installing at 14-50 themselves? EV folks ruining it for the electrically-not-inclined welders.

Back to the OP's question... the Tesla Home Wall Connector must be hard wired or else lose the UL listing. NEMA 14-50 doesn't apply.

When it comes to the Home Wall Connector, it spells big amp, and expensive copper wire. Get a few quotes and have the electricians itemize and justify costs. The key difference between a NEMA 14-50 install and Home Wall Connector should be, respectively:
1. 3/4" conduit vs. 1" conduit.
2. 4 conductors vs. 3 conductors.
3. 6ga/8ga vs. 3ga wire (2-3x cost per foot)
4. no local disconnect vs. local disconnect (a small breaker box or throw switch)
5. tough to wield NEMA receptable vs. none.
6. 50A breaker vs. 100A breaker
7. For those who prefer GFCI , pricey 50A (add $90 GFCI feature) breakers vs. normal 100A breaker.

Last edited:
Yes electricians tend to do that. They act like installing charging equipment is somehow extra special and requires extra cost. First house I had my Tesla the bill was $850 to just install the 14-50 outlet right next to the panel. Next house, same situation. I got a similar quote and ended up doing it myself for $50 parts and one hour worth of work. Third house I didn't even bother calling an electrician any more.

I would always recommend to use a larger than required wire! This way you can late upgrade to a higher amp by just switching out the breaker and your losses are lower as well.

I already had a 100A panel put in our detached garage. A few months ago I went to home depot and purchased 50ft of 6/3 Romex, an outlet box, and a NEMA-14-50 outlet. Total materials was around $120. The following weekend I got out my trusty drill with 1" spade bit, ran the line though a few studs, and mounted the box. Took about 90 minutes. The panel install was inspected and signed off. Think anyone will ever ask or care about the single outlet? Nope.

Find a friend who is halfway competent with electrical work. It's a no-brainer job.

Reactions: akidesir
I already had a 100A panel put in our detached garage. A few months ago I went to home depot and purchased 50ft of 6/3 Romex, an outlet box, and a NEMA-14-50 outlet. Total materials was around $120. The following weekend I got out my trusty drill with 1" spade bit, ran the line though a few studs, and mounted the box. Took about 90 minutes. The panel install was inspected and signed off. Think anyone will ever ask or care about the single outlet? Nope.
I was glad to have had a 100A panel added in the inside of the as part of my solar install. Otherwise I was 100% uncomfortable pulling meter to de-energize the house (MLO service panel). I took about the same time, except my non-Tesla wall unit was EXTREMELY hard to dry-wall mount... ugh!

I am certain contractors will see through this. Which welder in their right mind wouldn't be installing at 14-50 themselves? EV folks ruining it for the electrically-not-inclined welders.

Back to the OP's question... the Tesla Home Wall Connector must be hard wired or else lose the UL listing. NEMA 14-50 doesn't apply.

When it comes to the Home Wall Connector, it spells big amp, and expensive copper wire. Get a few quotes and have the electricians itemize and justify costs. The key difference between a NEMA 14-50 install and Home Wall Connector should be, respectively:
1. 3/4" conduit vs. 1" conduit.
2. 4 conductors vs. 3 conductors.
3. 6ga/8ga vs. 3ga wire (2-3x cost per foot)
4. no local disconnect vs. local disconnect (a small breaker box or throw switch)
5. tough to wield NEMA receptable vs. none.
6. 50A breaker vs. 100A breaker
7. For those who prefer GFCI , pricey 50A (add $90 GFCI feature) breakers vs. normal 100A breaker.
The wall connector can be installed on many different breaker sizes (and corresponding gauge wire). Mine is installed on a 60A breaker but could just have easily been hooked up to the same wire and breaker as a 14-50.

Reactions: brkaus

Any electrical job is going to take a minimum amount of time to quote, pull permits, do the work, get inspected, drive to/from the site x times. On simple things, the labor/ overhead hours are the lions share of the cost. If a group of local homeowners can schedule together, it could possibly save a bunch.

Don't put a GFCI on an EV charging circuit. The standard 5ma trip level is not very compatible. The Wall Connector and UMC have a 20mA GFCI internally.

You guys are lucky. I've gotten quotes ranging from $2300 to $4300 to install a HPWC on a 60A breaker. (not including the HPWC which I already purchased)
Granted my situation is kind of rough with a 130' run through basement and garage both finished with drywall.
I'm actually going to go with the guy around $2800 because I don't fully trust the cheapest guy to do the job correctly. At 130' voltage drop could start to be an issue and I really don't want to have any problems.
Kind of defeats the gas savings... but oh well that's not really my main consideration for going electric anyway.

Don't put a GFCI on an EV charging circuit. The standard 5ma trip level is not very compatible. The Wall Connector and UMC have a 20mA GFCI internally.
I have a Clipper Creek installed currently. The GFCI works well. That said, the option to use a GFCI is entirely up-to-you. The plug into the socket is not protected by the "internal GFCI" built-in into all "properly" designed (as indicated by a national test lab: UL, ETL, etc.). No charger will fault/trip if water from a garden hose spray downs inside the garage. I just find it weird that an unplugged NEMA 14-50 be right in the face of a pre-schooler coming out of the car. I realize there are probably people on this forum that have removed their AFCI breakers as well. I am curious though if the Tesla unit will instantly trip a circuit breaker GFCI. If one has the same over-protective mindset like me I am simply pointing out that the hard-wired approach will avoid the 50A GFCI. No contractor out there will include a GFCI breaker as part of their proposal to keep cost low and competitive with other bids.

Last edited:
I did a simple 14-50 receptacle standalone circuit from breaker box to garage. 75' run. DIY. Spent $300 in materials. The bulk of that was the 6-3 Romex which came in just under $200.

Electrician quoted me $1000 for the job, which I considered a tad high but still reasonable.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I haven't ordered my 3 yet but have been trying to work out my electrical needs so I'm prepared when I do. I plan to run a 100 amp subpanel from basement to garage (30') but was under the impression 6 gauge wasn't enough and was looking more at 3. I don't know a ton about this but am trying to learn, any knowledge would be appreciated!

Not related to electrical work, but I've experienced price gauging with window tint. I asked for a quote for a "midsize sedan" for the side windows only and got a reasonable estimate. When I mentioned it's a Tesla at the end, the price instantly tripled because "those are difficult due to the rear glass" even though I didn't want to tint the rear glass.

I spoke to one electrician and told him my folks just bought an RV and needed to occasionally charge while staying overnight hence the need for a 240 volt plug. Seems like a reasonable explanation?
Just don't prance into the permitting office saying you are installing an electric range into a garage. They will send an inspector free of charge at that point. <-- this is a pun.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
I paid $800 + WC cost to get the following, and the electrician knew it was for a Tesla. On install day it was the electrician and a helper for <2hrs.

- 100A circuit ran about 60ft into garage (future proofing)
- 60A breaker (allowing charge to 48A continuous)
- 100A disconnect inside new subpanel
- Tesla WC installed and configured with hard conduit

A proper quote should spell out material usage and hourly rates. You can ballpark both on your own to see if it's high, and as everyone recommends get a few quotes.

Just say
60 AMP Bosch Electrical Wall Charger for Nissan Leaf *cough Tesla Wall Charger
50 AMP Wall Plug for Nissan Leaf Charging Plug Thing *cough Tesla Mobile Connector

f the electricians and their 'Tesla Tax'

I couldn't afford a Tesla if I randomly paid triple for everything just cuz.... Tesla

You guys are lucky. I've gotten quotes ranging from $2300 to $4300 to install a HPWC on a 60A breaker. (not including the HPWC which I already purchased)
Granted my situation is kind of rough with a 130' run through basement and garage both finished with drywall.
I'm actually going to go with the guy around $2800 because I don't fully trust the cheapest guy to do the job correctly. At 130' voltage drop could start to be an issue and I really don't want to have any problems.
Kind of defeats the gas savings... but oh well that's not really my main consideration for going electric anyway.
I was thinking of getting the HPWC but my electrician told me my fuse box doesn't support it. If I wanted the HPWC installed I would need to get a new fuse box which would involved me contacting the power company to get new wiring done. Total cost of everything is around $15k.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte