Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are people ordering the second 10KW charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
Trying to finialize the car and trying to decide whether or not to order the second 10KW charger. I do not plan to get the HWPC, but will install a 14-50 in the garage. The signature model includes the twin chargers, but this is an option in the production model. Are people getting the second charger if they are not ordering the HWPC, just in case they want the HWPC at a later date? Also, is it possible to add the second charger at a later date?

The second charger is mainly useful for road trips, if there are higher power chargers available in your region. Around here we do have 70A chargers in the wild, but no superchargers at this point. The extra power really speeds up your travels.

I believe Tesla has said it is possible to add a second charger later but it will cost more than doing it at build time. There are very few public level two chargers over 40A. More than likely you'll find a HPWC at another Tesla owner's garage so it still could be useful.

Trying to finialize the car and trying to decide whether or not to order the second 10KW charger. I do not plan to get the HWPC, but will install a 14-50 in the garage. The signature model includes the twin chargers, but this is an option in the production model. Are people getting the second charger if they are not ordering the HWPC, just in case they want the HWPC at a later date? Also, is it possible to add the second charger at a later date?

I got the twin chargers. I also ordered the HPWC, but would have still ordered the twin chargers. Someone at Tesla told me at one point that we will be able to add the second charger at a later date, but I completely disbelieve that.

we ordered twin chargers and the HPWC. I don't think I will ever be sorry my car charges as fast as it can. two years and 24K miles on the Leaf and I am tired of going into establishments that I don't really need to buy anything in just to wait for the car to charge. The S is on a different scale for sure, but we only have that much bigger plans for it with the hopes of minimizing any potential inconveniences. If there was a safe way to make it "fill up" as fast as filling up at the pump, I'd go for it.

I got the twin chargers even though I won't use the second one most of the time. It was mostly my desire to be a little future-proof. I wanted to be able to use the various roadster chargers around the area and at the Tesla store in the mall.

I ordered the second charger and the HPWC. I was on the fence about the HPWC, but less so about the second charger (as others have said--future-proofing, on the road if I find a friendly owner with HPWC, and the rare need to charge faster at home).

I started a thread on this over a year ago: Twin Chargers: Why?

My take is that unless you know of an existing high-power Level 2 charger that you might want to use, I wouldn't get the second charger. For most of the US, I'd expect to get a new Supercharger before getting a new high-power Level 2 charger. There are no cars other than Teslas that can use them, so there's no reason for anyone other than Tesla to install them, and you know they're going to be doing Superchargers instead.

Yeah, maybe you drive 200 miles a day every day and only get to sleep 4 hours at home. In that case maybe you're the kind of diaper wearing driver Musk said isn't their target market anyway.

Bebcause of my rental situation, I am quitei sure I will never be able to use the second charger at home, but I have ordered it. What is down the road? Don't know, but adding it later, if possible, will surely be expensive.

When I ordered my LEAF, stateside CHAdeMO was a gleam in the eye, so to save $700, I skipped the CHAdeMO port. Lesson learned - those things are popping up all over WA and OR and I can't use them. And there is no retrofit.

Is the LEAF the impetus for the Chademo roll out?

Someone reported just yesterday/today that their single charger apparently has failed & the local TShop has to order one, etc. That is one reason I ordered a Tandem Charger for my S. No reports how seamlessly the 2nd one takes over if the 1st one fails. And what the screens say about such an occurrence.
--

Based on my discussion with the sales rep, I don't think the second charger would take over if the first one failed. The sales rep said he recommends to people NOT to buy the second charger unless they want the HWPC. his reasoning is that there are very few high power chargers in the U.S. at the present time. He also said that the charger can be added at a later time.

Based on my discussion with the sales rep, I don't think the second charger would take over if the first one failed. The sales rep said he recommends to people NOT to buy the second charger unless they want the HWPC. his reasoning is that there are very few high power chargers in the U.S. at the present time. He also said that the charger can be added at a later time.

If you regularly make a long distance trip, consider installing a HPWC where it's convenient for you (assuming you can convince a site owner to host it for you). Then with twin chargers you can recharge much more quickly than the commonly available 30A public chargers or 14-50 outlets.
See threads like this one for LA-Phoenix.

I don't drive very much each day, in fact the Leaf is more than adequate for my average daily drive and I'm not buying the S for the average drive. After two years of Leaf ownership I've noticed something rather surprising, it's that the rare occasions that the Leaf doesn't work out are the ones that stand out as a substantial inconvenience. It's that one time sitting for 3.5 hrs in a parking building in the cold with the wife and kids in the car waiting for the car to charge that are never forgotten, especially by my wife. I am basing my desire for twin chargers and the HPWC on the high value of even occasional fast turn around and the fact that we will be taking it on much longer jaunts than the Leaf. Our use of the QC DC charging stations here has really solidified this. We hardly ever need them but wow, when we do, they are awesome and well worth the added cost for the port. One simple example that comes up more than one might think is the need to run a few errands before embarking on a long road trip and then having to top off before final departure. My time, particularly with a family of four wiating, is more valuable than the extra cost of the chargers. The other day I called Blink to find out what it would cost for us to buy out the L2 charger we have... I almost laughed when the guy said it's $1,200. in the world of EV charging cables and chargers, the overall cost of the twin chargers and HPWC is really not a bad deal.

Yeah, maybe you drive 200 miles a day every day and only get to sleep 4 hours at home. In that case maybe you're the kind of diaper wearing driver Musk said isn't their target market anyway.

I ordered the second charger and HPWC. Since I got my Model S, I often return home with just a few miles range left. I few hours of freeway driving easily uses the available range. I don't want to wait any longer than necessary before driving again.

Also, in California, there are a number of 70 amp public chargers along highway 101 that I have used. Superchargers are great, but they are not everywhere.

I will use the car mostly around the DC area. Am getting the 85kW battery and will usually not drive more than 40 miles a day (usually less). With the superchargers, I can take the car to NY to visit family, but will likely have to charge on 110 volts (old house with limited power to the house). Thus, a 14-50 at home will be sufficient. Do people still suggest I get the second charger? My sales rep is telling me not to order it.

I ordered the twin chargers as a future-proofing item. I ended up not ordering the HPWC. It's far cheaper to order an HPWC later than it will be to order twin chargers if you decide you need them later. It's true that right now in most areas the twin chargers won't help, but the situation is likely to be different in five years. (and Superchargers won't be everywhere you want to drive so the more flexibility you have for charging, the better).

I will be getting twin chargers. Originally it was for the random road trip (supercharging) and potential resale. However, I recently discovered that my power company has an EV plan which greatly reduces (76% off) the rate between 1a-5a. Thus I want to be able to charge quickly during the 4 hour window, so I'm getting the HPWC and installing an 80A circuit.

A

I will be getting twin chargers. Originally it was for the random road trip (supercharging) and potential resale. However, I recently discovered that my power company has an EV plan which greatly reduces (76% off) the rate between 1a-5a. Thus I want to be able to charge quickly during the 4 hour window, so I'm getting the HPWC and installing an 80A circuit.

A

That's a big discount and makes sense. SuperCharging is separate from the twin chargers but maybe you'll find a 80A charger in the wild or at another owner's house.