Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Model X mules close to the final version?

Are the betas/mules we're seeing the final versions?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree 100 percent. I am firmly in the "there will be some detail surprises, but the models spotted around town are near final under camouflage" camp.

Personally I would find that the more likely alternative, too. The idea that they would not drive a near final setup in public isn't impossible, but I haven't seen anything public to support it.

Perhaps I might feel differently if I had private avenues to Tesla, which I don't. ;)

Argh. Where do I post new Model-X sitings? I'll try here...
Tesla Model X spy art -- Automotive News Photo Gallery

Notice the following:
- These appear to be the first photos of the passenger side of the vehicle.
- The front-passenger side window (at the top) has a significant gap (see photos 12 & 13), IMO indicating replaced panels/doors in-line with camouflaging techniques.
- These are new rims (I like them) and I think they would look better on a darker colour vehicle.
- Driver-side rear falcon door has a very odd curved gap (photo #10)

Of course the mules are camouflaged, I doubt anyone is disagreeing with that. :) Most cars are photographed prior to unveil in a camoed form, often some special bits camoed more than others. It is true many of the panels are lining up badly and bits and pieces are missing here and there - obviously this is a testing setup of some sort. Most notably, interior and the nose cone area are very well hidden.

But, still, it is quite a stretch to expect the end-result to be so different that one couldn't even discuss things like wheelbase. Is someone really expecting Tesla to release something with such a radical difference at this point? If so, it is certainly a bit hard for me to see where such confidence in Tesla's ability to release something as complex as a car in secret might come from.

Just trying to explain my PoV. I am genuinely interested in the analysis of others and would love to be persuaded. :)

But, still, it is quite a stretch to expect the end-result to be so different that one couldn't even discuss things like wheelbase. Is someone really expecting Tesla to release something with such a radical difference at this point? If so, it is certainly a bit hard for me to see where such confidence in Tesla's ability to release something as complex as a car in secret might come from.

You obviously haven't heard about Elon Musk's secret layer...
AqycnaOCIAEuM9l.jpg

Quick, check Google Maps for volcanoes with Model X mules driven around inside - and the orbit for bright shiny objects (not tin-foil)!

I mean, if you can type 007 in Model S, wonder what happens when you type 1 inside a Model X... The A pillars fall off!

Just to be clear, I don't think there will be radical changes from what we're seeing to what the final design will look like. It's looking like there are some panels on these mules that could very well be final design elements and others that are from the many "prototype" or "alpha's" we've been seeing since the reveal.

To be more specific, I think the rear end of the final version could be taller. This is based on the way the rear hatch and quarter panels are fitting with the falcon doors, rear most side windows, and tail lights on these camouflaged mules.

I also think the whole front bumper, hood, and head lights could be different than what we're seeing for the same reasons of ill fitting with the front quarter panels, bumper and head lights.

So if we're talking about the exterior, I'd say we're seeing 95 - 99% of the general shape, but only about 80% of the actual panels/lights.

Obviously I don't think there would be structural changes to what we're seeing now.

Good point about the rear doors and the roofline. I'll buy into that, because I've been pondering the area previously - previous mules seemed to have extensive camo over that, which is not present here.

Something odd is happening around the lower edge of the rear window too... I speculated about an A7-like automatic spoiler some time ago, since in one mule version this area seemed raised - and now there are holes there. Did they take out whatever was there... I'm not saying there will be a spoiler, it just occurred to me in one mule version.

I also think the same car has appeared in several leaks, with some changes like different rims etc.

Overall, a fair post by goneskiian. Hard to disagree with that.

:) It is true many of the panels are lining up badly and bits and pieces are missing here and there...

Just trying to explain my PoV. I am genuinely interested in the analysis of others and would love to be persuaded. :)

FWIW, I see the camo intentionally applied to give the illusion of bad/incorrect seams and ill-fitting panels as a distraction and/or misdirection, not unlike an Escher drawing.

FWIW, I see the camo intentionally applied to give the illusion of bad/incorrect seams and ill-fitting panels as a distraction, not unlike an Escher drawing.

That is a good point as well. Something many car manufacturers do, of course. In some cases (especially the front), I also expect there to be added protrusions under the wrap, to confuse us.

Just to be clear, I don't think there will be radical changes from what we're seeing to what the final design will look like. It's looking like there are some panels on these mules that could very well be final design elements and others that are from the many "prototype" or "alpha's" we've been seeing since the reveal.

To be more specific, I think the rear end of the final version could be taller. This is based on the way the rear hatch and quarter panels are fitting with the falcon doors, rear most side windows, and tail lights on these camouflaged mules.

I also think the whole front bumper, hood, and head lights could be different than what we're seeing for the same reasons of ill fitting with the front quarter panels, bumper and head lights.

So if we're talking about the exterior, I'd say we're seeing 95 - 99% of the general shape, but only about 80% of the actual panels/lights.

Obviously I don't think there would be structural changes to what we're seeing now.[/
QUOTE]

When I have indicated we have not seen the production model yet this is what I personally am saying. Sure the general shape will stay but I think the front end (read grill/lights) and the back end (read higher to decrease slope over the 3rd row seat to give more head room or cargo space) is what will make the production version

With the window gaps, perhaps it's just not meant to be driven in rain and snow...

There are so many misalignments in this view alone that I'm really surprised they send the alpha/beta/what-e-vah out looking like this. :scared:

Model X Right Window.JPG

This is how they keep your expectations low -- so they can ultimately ship something that looks like a $100K car and you'll be suitably impressed. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I just assume that they have camouflage panels taped above the real panels and so the huge gaps in no way represent anything we would ever see in production.

In my opinion, Tesla has mostly replaced whole body panels rather than using "tape". They appear to have used white tape on the front window, moon-roof and on the hatch-back. They appear to have wrapped the front nose-cone. I think the gaps are due to replacing production panels with older, modified prototype panels that are not an exact match. I think about 50% of the people in this forum will agree with this assessment.

Also, they appear to have only modified 2 such vehicles so far (one black, one white). Due to the effort to disguise these road-testing vehicles, I don't expect to see too many versions out there.

I'm going to have so much free time once the Model-X is actually revealed...

The gap on the front windows, seen on most of the pictures looks like it some kind of sensor peeking out.
I guess it is more cars driving around than the ones taken pictures of.
Guess it is two white vehicles, why should they change to black rims? Posible to see change in energy consuption, but that can be done on a Model S to?