Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The FUD has gone to 11. I was surprised when the forces of FUD infiltrated Bloomberg to run dishonest hit pieces. Now they've inflitrated Vox with a blatantly dishonest piece which I am not even going to link to.

It's worth figuring out who's behind this campaign, because I'm starting to have trouble believing that it's coincidental that the FUD is ramping up so high right now. Some of the authors can probably be tracked back to their money suppliers; this is smelling like corruption.

The FUD has gone to 11. I was surprised when the forces of FUD infiltrated Bloomberg to run dishonest hit pieces. Now they've inflitrated Vox with a blatantly dishonest piece which I am not even going to link to.

It's worth figuring out who's behind this campaign, because I'm starting to have trouble believing that it's coincidental that the FUD is ramping up so high right now. Some of the authors can probably be tracked back to their money suppliers; this is smelling like corruption.
I know how networks are setup, packets routed between routers, internet layers, etc...but I haven't been in that area for so long. Anyone on here know how to trace the IP addresses or packets back to certain MAC address and find the physical address of the server/computer? ;)

I know how networks are setup, packets routed between routers, internet layers, etc...but I haven't been in that area for so long. Anyone on here know how to trace the IP addresses or packets back to certain MAC address and find the physical address of the server/computer? ;)

The physical computer will be behind a Firewall so the packets will just have the IP address. Even then the IP will be a NAT'ed IP address and will not be the actual IP of the computer just the IP address for the outside connection of the Firewall. You would actually have to be on the physical network which the sending computer was on to discover the MAC. Even then you could only trace the MAC to a specific port on the network.

Reactions: ggies07
The physical computer will be behind a Firewall so the packets will just have the IP address. Even then the IP will be a NAT'ed IP address and will not be the actual IP of the computer just the IP address for the outside connection of the Firewall. You would actually have to be on the physical network which the sending computer was on to discover the MAC. Even then you could only trace the MAC to a specific port on the network.
ah yes, that sounds familiar! Thanks for the reminder. That specific port would be the office/cube unless they are using wireless connection with a laptop.....SO, anyone know someone who works at Heartland or Koch Brothers or Exxon or!?! :) hahahaha. Kidding, but seriously, gotta get in the weeds if we want to figure this stuff out.....

The tech is possible with ships, but as you point out, you lose cargo capacity and that's a serious problem. Back in the 50s someone made a nuclear powered freighter as the next new thing. They found that the space needed for the reactor was so much the ship had a tiny payload.

I've heard there already is a short haul ferry in Norway running electric. I think they do a battery swap every time it stops at its home dock and they put the other battery on charge.

In some places making more use of overhead wires for trains might be feasible, but there are a lot of places where there is no infrastructure for wires. A locomotive is going to need massive batteries to go any distance. However, they could put a battery car behind the locomotives. They did essentially do that with steam locomotives. The water and fuel were stored in the tender.

The electric ferry business is going faster than you think @wdolson :)
All-electric ferry cuts emission by 95% and costs by 80%, brings in 53 additional orders

The way I understand the charging situation, dockside has a battery that 'trickle' charges pretty much constantly, so it can dump energy fast into the ferry while its tied to the dock.

The ferry goes back and forth, and charges while its at the dock on each end of the run. The solution is sufficiently good compared to the previous approach, that the market is changing over to electric about as fast as new ferries can be built (where have we heard that dynamic before).

And yes - still a very big leap from ferry to Pacific cargo vessel crossings.

This thing has been making the upvotes over at the r/teslamotors subreddit. I'm leaving it here in case you don't go there. I hope it comes in handy for some of you someday.

The War on Tesla, Musk, and the Fight for the Future
Thanks for posting that. I didn't understand short-selling effects on stock price before, and found the detailed descriptions of false stories illuminating.

Not sure that short-sellers are completely at fault for FUD, though. There seems to be a huge part of reportage based on willful ignorance of anything technical, hence the false AutoPilot stories. This is not limited to Tesla stories. I have seen many stories describing some chemical as "volatile" when they mean explosive. Reporters, had they bothered to check, would know that volatile means easily evaporated, like the most common volatile chemical, water.

The electric ferry business is going faster than you think @wdolson :)
All-electric ferry cuts emission by 95% and costs by 80%, brings in 53 additional orders

The way I understand the charging situation, dockside has a battery that 'trickle' charges pretty much constantly, so it can dump energy fast into the ferry while its tied to the dock.

The ferry goes back and forth, and charges while its at the dock on each end of the run. The solution is sufficiently good compared to the previous approach, that the market is changing over to electric about as fast as new ferries can be built (where have we heard that dynamic before).

And yes - still a very big leap from ferry to Pacific cargo vessel crossings.

Yup, short haul electrics are an easier problem than long haul. With ships that dock every 1/2 hour or so, it gives an opportunity to charge while loading/unloading. We had electric golf carts and electric security vehicles decades before Tesla existed.

According to OPB Jay Inslee signed a bill to investigate electrifying some of the Puget Sound ferry fleet. Though the initial work will just be converting the three biggest ferries to hybrids. I would think some of the shortest runs could be converted to full electric, though those are also some of the smallest ferries in the fleet.

Jay Insee also proposed - one or two seasons back, I believe - that EVs get a free ride on WA ferries. My recollection is either that the legislature shot it down quicker than me at a sorority, or refused even to consider it.

Regardless, can anyone find the (1) longest distance, (2) greatest amount of time, or (3) greatest tonnage of a current or soon-in-operation ferry? Perhaps Norwegian?

I noticed the one author drives a Leaf and the other a Prius. It sounds like they’re just upset because they were hoping to get $35,000 Model 3s before the tax incentive is cut in half, so they piss and moan about Tesla’s being too expensive and Elon lying to them. A pitiful article.

I read an article yesterday that came to me through my iPhone yahoo feed on stocks.

The articles was supposed to be on the new information around $28k total cost to make the $35k car, but instead the author went on and on about how the production is heavily botched and the robots are crashing left and right, and how the lack of dealership will kill them, yada yada

Either the author himself is a desperate short, or is paid by desperate shorts.

This is really bad. I can't support a company that does this. Feeding adult humans is fine, but babies? unbelievable.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-feeding-live-babies-to-robots-2018-5?r=UK&IR=T

Tesla engineers feed live babies to Robots in Gigafactory

In an effort to speed up the manufacturing of batteries, an employee told Business Insider that he was asked to feed live babies to Robots. When Business Insider reached out, Tesla declined to comment, but instead pointed out to a statement in the recent investor letter which said, ‘Tesla will achieve its production goals by all means’.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Both links go to an error message now. Apparently they took the article(s) down.
Hmmm...those links work fine for me. I am wondering if you are using an Ad blocker ? or it could be behind a pay wall. Generally these kind of highly investigative and high quality reports are behind paywalls. Like every WSJ article.

Last edited:
I would have enjoyed that were it to have appeared in The Onion. Reasonably funny, I think. They also could go after UAW activists, certain persons masquerading as journalists, and so forth....

First post, and indeed from a brand new account.

Recently the person hiding behind Montana Skeptic has become more personal and vicious in his attacks of Elon and Tesla. Some of his recent tweets can even be characterized as libelous. A small group has decided that it was time to find out who is behind Montana Skeptic and to find out what his motivations are.

We will share our search and our findings on a website: "The Montana Skeptic Dossier" that is currently being build. Those interested can follow our search on a twitter channel @SkepticMontana. Feel free to share this with tesla investors who are also tired of Montana Skeptic's anonymous attacks and on Teslamotor threads as on Reddit.