Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SC+solar dont have to have batteries, and I doubt they do. They can sell the power back to the grid and have it act as a battery. It is true that a typical solar canopy will only provide 2-4 charges, I think there are a lot of stations where that is all the traffic it gets. And yes, the point is that it is much better. If the station is busier and gives out 10 charges a day, and generates enough for 4, it is ludicrous to complain about that. ICE's are not held to this standard.

I could've sworn that in one of the CC's it was mentioned that some of the superchargers have 1GW batteries underground.

I think Tesla buys its Supercharger electricity from guaranteed renewable sources. In places where the Supercharger is nowhere near any renewable power generation, they try to get it "imported" electrically from elsewhere. (I guess at some point they might be buying oil-sourced electricity, but at least the Model S is relatively efficient compared to combustion cars) I'll see if I can find out where that was stated, it was a while back.

TSLA appears to have bottomed from today's punch... Nasdaq is still falling, but TSLA is rising. It's like a boxer's head, returning to the upright position. :|

I could've sworn that in one of the CC's it was mentioned that some of the superchargers have 1GW batteries underground.

I'd like to see that. It seems about the right requirement.1MW and 2 MWh would provide enough power for 8 pairs of charger, and with only 6 pairs of chargers it could run at full capacity for about 3 hours. There is also a nice opportunity hear to sell peak power back to the utility or microgrid.

I'd love to see SolarCity set up some GridLogic systems anchored with a Supercharger and serving neighboring businesses. A whole mall could cut their collective power bill and gain power robustness just by hosting a Supercharger, installing rooftop panels, and letting SolarCity network the whole thing with GridLogic.

Last edited:
I'd like to see that. It seems about the right requirement. 1GW and 2 GWh would provide enough power for 8 pairs of charger, and with only 6 pairs of chargers it could run at full capacity for about 3 hours. There is also a nice opportunity hear to sell peak power back to the utility or microgrid.
Y'all mean MW instead of GW. You need a nuclear plant to put out 1GW of power.

Ah yes apologies. Megawatt.

At Tejon, there is a 400 KWH pack.
Tesla CTO on Energy Storage: : Greentech Media

So if my source is correct, there are 6 stalls at that location. Also let's assume that this is 200kW and 400kWh. So in a disaster scenario, demand for charges may spike while the utility power is down. The location would be able to charge 6 cars at a time at 33.3kW average, and the supply would only last for 2 hours. Nice to know in case of a zombie outbreak.

Curt, your suggestion for how to circumvent the WSJ paywall did not work for me. I did as you describe and was still limited to reading only the first few sentences of the piece.

It does not surprise me that the WSJ is still attacking Tesla. That newspaper has an agenda that supports entrenched corporate interests and hates the idea that the government cold ever do anything positive to support innovation and combat climate change. So they resort to distortions and obfuscation and ignore the facts.

I did get to read the entire opinion piece this morning in the WSJ, and honestly it wasn't worth reading. The author basically rehashed the same debunked arguments and did so in a fairly spiteful tone.

I doubt this had any effect on TSLA, as it didn't prove anything except that the Wall Street Journal publishes items from people who are even stupider than the idiots at the New York Times.

According to Krusty the Klown, the secret to doing comedy is not to use dirty words, but to use words that only sound like they're dirty. In tha vein, Bidness released this article that only sounds like FUD:

Tesla Motors Inc Fans Take Heed: 43% Of EVs In The World Were Bought Last Year

This is based on a study that finds that there are now 740,000 EVs on the road and 320,000 of them, 43%, were sold just last year. This is entirely consistent with a new market that is growing at 69% per year. This is wonderful news for Tesla investor, but according to Bidness we should all "take heed." Whatever.

If you want to read about this helpful study without all the Bidness attitude, I recommend this one:

Global EV market reaches 740,000 cars, new study finds | News | Eco-Business | Asia Pacific

Today Barrons (one of Rupert Murdoch's vehicles) and Street Insider both cover John Lovallo's latest note dismissing battery storage as a far off and unappealing prospect for Tesla. What's most reflective of bias is that they do not provide any context of Lovallo's outlier bear status among the analysts covering Tesla. When Street Insider or Barrons report on anything from Adam Jonas, it's "uber Tesla bull Adam Jonas" or "Tesla fan among fans Adam Jonas." Of course, Jonas has a price target almost exactly at the $264 average of the 20 or so covering analysts, while Lovallo's target is $65, with the next closest target from another analyst being ~$185.

Tesla Motors: Personal Storage Battery a - Stocks to Watch - Barrons.com

Bank of America thinks Tesla's home battery being a smash hit is a 'long-shot at best' - Yahoo Finance

It can also be seen as Elon has more time and isn't chewing on glass and staring into the abyss anymore... so it really can be spun in both ways. Not sure what Elon would be desperate for?
Or we can recognize that the contention that Musk "never used to say anything" is plainly false and was made by someone running a trading desk.

Those Tesla FUD articles are so dissociated with reality. How many of those state the rave reviews the Model S has received alongside their FUD arguments ? Probably zero.
At the same time, TSLA chart does look depressing.
But I bet Q1 2015 results will confirm Tesla is on track and a major recovery will ensue.