Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's Business Insider, but it's Matthew DeBord, who tends to actually write decent articles.

I drove a $57,500 Tesla Model 3 for a week to see if it's practical for everyday driving — here's the verdict

He loves the Model 3. (Musk tweeted a link to this!)

But the truly astounding thing is that Tesla, in only about five years of seriously manufacturing automobiles, could build a car this good. That's a staggering achievement.

Wait, did I say good? I meant great.

Hold on, did I say great? Sorry, I meant greatest.

Say hello to the best car money can currently buy.

DeBord is not usually this gushing -- his Tesla articles have been more "balanced" in the past. But now he's driven the car for a week......

So in the U.K. this article appeared in both the left wing Guardian and the right wing Telegraph... no mention of meeting delivery targets or increased production or any of the other real achievements... instead the share price” plunges” on another facetious tweet...

You would think if they were professional, they would investigate the source of these negative articles rather than just swallowing them wholesale.... there would be a better story there...

Shares in Tesla plummet as Musk mocks US regulator days after fraud settlement

I took part in a piece about Tesla, what it is like to own one, experience of living with an EV etc for a major international financial publication. Tesla gave a car to the journalist for a week, and whilst he didn't give much away during my interview, you could tell he was impressed.

They've put the piece on hold "due to Elon's tweets" - maybe they think their publishing could affect the SP or something.

Will update if/when it goes to press.

Here's Zachary's take.
Cleantech News — #1 In EV, Solar, Wind, Tesla News | CleanTechnica

It boggles the mind. Major media outlets are supposed to care about American jobs. They are supposed to care about manufacturing jobs for middle-class Americans. They are supposed to care about clean air for their and your children. They are supposed to care about a livable climate for our future. They are supposed to care about innovation and American ingenuity for the greater good.

Yet, the Tesla story they keep stumbling upon is a nonsensical narrative put forth by Tesla [TSLA] short sellers and the giant corporate powers that want to keep Tesla down. They skip all of this useful and positive news about Tesla — even missing the fact that the Tesla Model 3 is now the top selling car from an American auto manufacturer. Instead, they roll themselves down into a pile of financial propaganda sewage. Not cool, and for what purpose?

I wonder if Tesla (or Elon) just said, one day we are going to advertise - not today, not this year, but one day - and when we do, we will remember who printed all that FUD and lies about Tesla.

Those that did will get $0 advertising dollars from Tesla, but those who print fair and balanced articles could be in for a windfall.

Would we see the narrative change if dollars were dangled in front of advertisers?

Reactions: SpudLime
I wonder if Tesla (or Elon) just said, one day we are going to advertise - not today, not this year, but one day - and when we do, we will remember who printed all that FUD and lies about Tesla.

Those that did will get $0 advertising dollars from Tesla, but those who print fair and balanced articles could be in for a windfall.

Would we see the narrative change if dollars were dangled in front of advertisers?
I think Wall St. is pissed because he told them he doesn't need to borrow any more money.
Auto makers are pissed because he's eating their lunch.
Fossil fuel industry is pissed because he is a threat to their profits.

Lots of motivation for FUD.

I've just wanted to post this very Bloomberg article whith sadness in my mind... How is possible that they still compare ICE tail pipe emissions with emissions emitted in whole BEV lifecycle?

And don't forget. The journalist have help from several persons whith this piece...

a nice snip from a <gasp> Tesla positive article on SA.
upload_2018-10-17_18-52-7.png

a nice visual complement to

Pure Electrics thru Sept
Company kWh/2018
Tesla 9,610,701 86.8% <-----
GM Bolt 708,420 6.4%
Nissan Leaf 427,440 3.9%

BMW i3 159,951 1.4%
Jaguar I-Pace
VW e-Golf 30,072 0.3%
Ford Focus Electric 18,693 0.2%
Hyundai Ioniq Elect. 7,448 0.1%
Honda Clarity Elect. 22,619 0.2%
Fiat 500e 43,416 0.4%
Kia Soul EV 28,740 0.3%
Smart electric 14,150 0.1%
11,071,650 kilowatt hours of batteries <-------
Tesla % of pure EV 86.8%

I look at a different dimension they overlooked: S and X sales. Both have increased this year. US sales of the S are about 1300 ahead of last year's sales through September and the X is way ahead of last year. Internationally the S and X are the only cars available and they are selling the bulk of production overseas.

I think the bulk of Model 3 sales today are not reservation holders but people who found out about the car closer to production or after it went into production and/or skeptics who didn't want to make a deposit until they could see what the final production was going to be and if it was going to be OK. As the Model 3 has gotten out there in the world, a lot of middle class people are getting one in their neighborhood and getting a chance to drive one, or at least see one.

I saw a documentary on the AMC Pacer and the Model 3 does have some risk of suffering from the same problem the Pacer had. The Pacer sold in record numbers the first year on the market, but then sales fell off a cliff the second year because while it really appealed to some people, they saturated that market in the first year.

I think the Model 3 is more likely to have a broader appeal across the market and the Pacer had problems, but that is a real risk Tesla faces.

I look at a different dimension they overlooked: S and X sales. Both have increased this year. US sales of the S are about 1300 ahead of last year's sales through September and the X is way ahead of last year. Internationally the S and X are the only cars available and they are selling the bulk of production overseas.

I think the bulk of Model 3 sales today are not reservation holders but people who found out about the car closer to production or after it went into production and/or skeptics who didn't want to make a deposit until they could see what the final production was going to be and if it was going to be OK. As the Model 3 has gotten out there in the world, a lot of middle class people are getting one in their neighborhood and getting a chance to drive one, or at least see one.

I saw a documentary on the AMC Pacer and the Model 3 does have some risk of suffering from the same problem the Pacer had. The Pacer sold in record numbers the first year on the market, but then sales fell off a cliff the second year because while it really appealed to some people, they saturated that market in the first year.

I think the Model 3 is more likely to have a broader appeal across the market and the Pacer had problems, but that is a real risk Tesla faces.
I am seeing many new buyers in my area who were not reservation holders. The difference here with the Model 3 vs. your AMC Pacer situation is that the Pacer was unique only in its style that was attractive to some but not all, whereas the Model 3 is different in that it is the most fun, best driving, safest car ever made.