Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good article from Daniel Sparks:

Tesla Motors, Inc. Earnings: 3 Questions for Elon Musk (TSLA)

Summary if you don't want to click:
1) how is china demand?
2) Is Model X on scedule?
3) Will they deploy their secret weapon for demand?

I would add:
4) demand for the powerwall/stationary storage?
5) battery supply situation? Are Powerwalls/storage products using Panasonic cells, or other others? Is Model S production still battery supply limited?
6) Why is Model S production low in 1H and much higher in 2H? 1Q production rate was not sufficient for 55k annualized.
#1: growing again (but, unsaid, still weak)
#2: yes, though now it's "late Q3" not just "Q3"
#3: no word
#4: Overwhelming; sold out through mid-2016
#5: Sounds like most Tesla Energy products are using a different battery chemisty
#6: Not directly answered, but EM did discuss progress on building out new production capacity and increased throughput on the existing line.

Apparently Jerry Hirsch of the LA Times did not listen to today's Tesla conference call before writing his article: Teslas first-quarter loss widens amid heavy spending - LA Times

He wrote practically nothing about the storage battery business that prompted the lion's share of questions from the the analysts. Yet he heavily quoted the notorious spinner of anti-Tesla FUD, Karl Brauer of Kellie Blue Book. That's a publication that relies almost entirely on the patronage of auto dealers.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike Ramsey of the Wall Street Journal once again found a way to set a negative tone for a Tesla article today: Tesla Loss Widens as Spending Jumps - WSJ

"stung by rising costs...even as sale of regulatory credits...increased sharply"

This again seemed to be aimed at the devoted faithful of a Rupert Murdoch publication, who followed up with numerous derisive comments about government support.

Last edited:
Apparently Jerry Hirsch of the LA Times did not listen to today's Tesla conference call before writing his article: Teslas first-quarter loss widens amid heavy spending - LA Times

He made no mention of the storage battery business that prompted the lion's share of questions from the the analysts. Yet he heavily quoted the notorious spinner of anti-Tesla FUD, Karl Brauer of Kellie Blue Book. That's a publication that relies almost entirely on the patronage of auto dealers.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike Ramsey of the Wall Street Journal once again found a way to set a negative tone for a Tesla article today: Tesla Loss Widens as Spending Jumps - WSJ

"stung by rising costs...even as sale of regulatory credits...increased sharply"

This again seemed to be aimed at the devoted faithful of a Rupert Murdoch publication, who followed up with numerous derisive comments about government support.

WSJ had this as well on the earnings call

Tesla's Model X Won't Hit Market Until 'Late Q3'at The Wall Street Journal

(just the headline, not a link)

didn't bother reading the article, but on the call Elon basically implied a one month delay from expectations of August (which IIRC the company did to some extent suggest) to September. Nonetheless, I found the very strong initial response to Tesla Energy, talk of a possible 50% increase in planned capacity of the GF, disclosure that they expect to have the GF supplying the stationary storage batteries by Q1 2016, revealing March 2016 as the target date for the reveal of the Model 3, and reiteration of 55K delivery goal for 2015 (contrary to someone's FUD from two days ago), all FAR more newsworthy than a one month delay in the Model X launch. Then again, I don't have the same personal interests as Rupert Murdoch.

Well, let's not forget they've been saying q3 for a while now, but they never said August - we were just hoping for that. However what's more important is the July date for configuring the X. This shows they are on track to start production in August, and the q3 window for the paint shop also confirms that.

Not sure this is the most appropriate place for this, but what an idiot. Need to save this one for end of decade to watch him eat his words.

Porsche CEO Muller Ignores Tesla, Not Electric Cars - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ

What a joke!

“I cannot say anything about Tesla,” he said. “I don’t know anything about Tesla .”

but then he said:

“Did you read the newspaper yesterday?” Mr. Muller asked. “Did you read the numbers for financial results?”

Good to know he relies heavily on quality information. Good luck Porsche.

What a joke!

“I cannot say anything about Tesla,” he said. “I don’t know anything about Tesla .”

but then he said:

“Did you read the newspaper yesterday?” Mr. Muller asked. “Did you read the numbers for financial results?”

Good to know he relies heavily on quality information. Good luck Porsche.

The best line was:

Mr. Muller said “there is no doubt the future will have battery-driven cars, but the great question is when."

Duh. It appears Mr. Muller doesn't read newspapers either.

The best line was:

Mr. Muller said “there is no doubt the future will have battery-driven cars, but the great question is when."

Duh. It appears Mr. Muller doesn't read newspapers either.

But I think he does...

Willys-2.jpg

Stefan Quandt macht Elon Musk mit Batterie Konkurrenz - manager magazin

BMW's main shareholder is a clean energy enthusiast and actually owns a solar company. He is planing a battery product that is self described as better than the Tesla solution, and will be on market sooner. They call it "MyReserve". It would be better if they actually said something about prices, but this could be interesting.

Pretty much every solar company needs to lock in a supply of batteries. They don't have to be cheaper than Powerwalls, but they do need to be cheap enough that the solar company can stay in business past the next 5 years.

Will be exciting to see the characteristics of these products and pricing of course. That info should be out very soon as they should be available for sale/being installed likely in June (sooner than Tesla Energy, whose products start shipping in 3-4 months as per the earnings report.)

Here's a link to a Tesla FUD article published this afternoon by Forbes: Battery Hype

The author Christopher Helman completely ignores the initial targeting of commercial companies and utilities as potential battery storage customers.

Helman has written several anti-Tesla articles this month. Here is the bio he provides:

"From Texas, I mostly cover the energy industry and the tycoons who control it. I joined Forbes in 1999 and moved from New York to Houston in 2004. The subjects of my Forbes cover stories have included T. Boone Pickens, Ross Perot, Exxon, Chevron, Saudi Aramco and more."

Hmm...the author of that article doesn't even understand that the 10kWh Powerwall (which he doesn't mention) is for backup and the 7kWh which he refers to is for daily cycling.

Right, which is especially weird considering the fact that he is the CEO of a solar-installation company. This might've been a deliberate attempt to spread FUD, and not simple ignorance on his part. Perhaps it is sour grapes that Tesla didn't select his company as one of their partners, or perhaps he is already partnered with Enphase...

Right, which is especially weird considering the fact that he is the CEO of a solar-installation company. This might've been a deliberate attempt to spread FUD, and not simple ignorance on his part. Perhaps it is sour grapes that Tesla didn't select his company as one of their partners, or perhaps he is already partnered with Enphase...

So many people call themselves some fancy titles, that should be taken with a grain of salt. Just because someone calls themselves a CEO or some other buzz word does not translate into credibility, even if they are what they claim to be.

I could mention more than a few national leaders who seem to be quite challenged in their comprehension. Our world is a strange place.

Elon Musk's 3-Biggest Powerwall Whoppers, written by the founder and CEO of Run on Sun, "Pasadena's premier installer and integrator of top-of-the-line solar power installations."

The author is jousting with a strawman. Musk didn't say "one powerwall will power a large suburban home for a day or 2" which is what the author is saying is a lie. Musk said the product allows you to go offgrid (with solar). it is assumed you scale your batteries to your house, just as one scales solar to your house. This is like a solar panel CEO saying "our new product will give your house free clean power forever" then saying he lied because 1 panel will not power your 4000 sq ft house.