Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LAPD Chooses BMW Over Tesla For Electric Squad Cars

It never fails to amaze me, how they can twist the truth and still call it "factual article". It was clearly stated by LAPD that the i3 will only be used for "municipal purpose", and Tesla was being considered for "high speed pursuit vehicles", meaning they were never competing on the same bid. Yet, the article headlines with above, and proceeds to say BMW won the bid over Tesla. Another article quotes LAPD statement that Tesla is still being considered for the purpose of high speed pursuit vehicles.

I guess whenever I'm in LA, I better watch out for the parking meter officers, since they'll be creeping up on me in silence in an i3 now, lol.

Is One Out Of Every 10 Cars Coming Down The Tesla Line A Reject?
I can't believe they can smother so much FUD in an otherwise positive update from Tesla. While 1 in 10 is statistically equivalent to 90%, the way this article is fundamentally skewed to be negative just riles me.

..... By Bertel Schmitt
Well, that is the guy running the daily kanban, the site that was instrumental in spreading the suspensiongate fraud.
The more you check him out, the more you get convinced he has an agenda against Tesla.

Relevant : Edward Niedermeyer and Bertel Schmitt are available to work for hire, but not for $25 a post.

Source : Who Are We? - DailyKanban

IIRC, this is the same guy who still owes some TMC members a hat-eating after a lot bet.
Edit : yup, same guy.. Journalist Who Announced He’d Eat A Hat If Tesla Autopilot Worked Decides… Mmm, Nah. Was actually Bonnie who called him out on (t)hat. :)

BTW, judging on his picture on his own website, it looks like he just DID eat that hat..

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Johan
“We’d stop production immediately, gather management, grasp the situation, find information, and make a decision whether to restart or not. We most likely would not — 10% is an incredibly high number.”

That article seems to imply Tesla hasn't done this. AFAIK, this is exactly the reason for the Model X delays. They have done precisicely as they should have, and stopped the line when problems were discovered. It was then restarted when they were fixed. Stopped when new problems discovered, restarted when fixed, etc.

For a little historical perspective: When GM was running the Fremont facility, before it became NUMMI, it was the worst auto plant in the nation for reject rates after assembly. Only 66-67% of cars were problem free / required no rework.

..... By Bertel Schmitt
Well, that is the guy running the daily kanban, the site that was instrumental in spreading the suspensiongate fraud.
The more you check him out, the more you get convinced he has an agenda against Tesla.

Relevant : Edward Niedermeyer and Bertel Schmitt are available to work for hire, but not for $25 a post.

Source : Who Are We? - DailyKanban

IIRC, this is the same guy who still owes some TMC members a hat-eating after a lot bet.
Edit : yup, same guy.. Journalist Who Announced He’d Eat A Hat If Tesla Autopilot Worked Decides… Mmm, Nah. Was actually Bonnie who called him out on that. :)

BTW, judging on his picture on his own website, it looks like he just DID eat that hat..

" Bertel [Schmitt] returns as a journalist and to the roots of his initials" - now that makes sense!

Last edited:
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
It looks like the Koch brothers have started spending there discrediting funds..

That may indeed be the case. A concerted attack should have been expected by now. They may have begun a coordinated program of paying off website/media operators, editors, writers, bloggers or forum posters to publish Tesla FUD. It was timed just as good news and favorable commentary had been pushing up the stock. It's not unlike their funding of advertising blitzes to discredit people running for elective office who are not in sync with their agenda. We may soon learn what Elon or institutional owners of Tesla might have in mind for counterpunches.

• Love
Reactions: Johan
Wall Street Journal has the typical subsidy hit piece on Tesla in response to Jay Leno telling people to get off Tesla's back:

Hey, Jay Leno, What About Tesla’s Dependence on the Taxpayer?

Jay Leno:

Cramer: Jay Leno's shocking wake-up call on Tesla

some taxpayers qualify for some or all of the $7.5K EV tax credit, and undoubtably this increases to some extent the total number of Tesla's sold.

most taxpayers qualify for the mortgage interest deduction, and undoubtably, this increases the number of homes built, sold by realtors, and financed by banks.

where are all the WSJ (LA Times, etc.) articles from the last several decades blasting the homebuilders, realtors, and banks being aided by the mortgage interest deduction? I would not be shocked if the WSJ at some point voiced decent on the mortgage interest deduction, but has there been even one article in all these decades deriding homebuilders, realtors and banks over this?

some taxpayers qualify for some or all of the $7.5K EV tax credit, and undoubtably this increases to some extent the total number of Tesla's sold.

most taxpayers qualify for the mortgage interest deduction, and undoubtably, this increases the number of homes built, sold by realtors, and financed by banks.

where are all the WSJ (LA Times, etc.) articles from the last several decades blasting the homebuilders, realtors, and banks being aided by the mortgage interest deduction? I would not be shocked if the WSJ at some point voiced decent on the mortgage interest deduction, but has there been even one article in all these decades deriding homebuilders, realtors and banks over this?

Tesla's customers aren't even the largest recipients of the $7500 tax credit. Tesla is tied for #3 with Ford, GM is #1 and Nissan is #2.

Tesla is the only auto manufacturer to pay back their government loan.

The entire basis of the Tesla is subsidized meme is false. Most of the people spouting this nonsense don't even understand what the tax credit is and how it works. They just read the controversial headline, it fits right in with their pre-conceived notions, and so they buy into the propaganda like it's gospel.

Nowadays I just try to redirect these puppets by pointing out they should be fighting against the worst offenders. I try to send them to "Uncle Sam's Favorite Corporations" so they can go complain at Boeing $78 billion, GM over $50 billion, and their favorite (they didn't take government money) Ford at $30 billion. An open minded person will actually understand and I don't see them comment again. That is about 1 in 25 Tesla naysayers.

Wall Street Journal has the typical subsidy hit piece on Tesla in response to Jay Leno telling people to get off Tesla's back:

Hey, Jay Leno, What About Tesla’s Dependence on the Taxpayer?

Jay Leno:

Cramer: Jay Leno's shocking wake-up call on Tesla

Jay Leno's and Jim Cramer's words are spot on. Jenkins' has stooped to new lows.

I find it really interesting that Jenkins' article reads like a compilation of the negative comments on Cramer's video. It's almost like the pessimists are reading from the same source material. In any case I did my part to set the record straight on both.

Jay Leno's and Jim Cramer's words are spot on. Jenkins' has stooped to new lows.

I find it really interesting that Jenkins' article reads like a compilation of the negative comments on Cramer's video. It's almost like the pessimists are reading from the same source material. In any case I did my part to set the record straight on both.

I read the piece by searching the full title on Google and got in a few volleys against some of the most blatant offenders - including Jenkins himself - before the paywall popped up again.

They're all parroting the same lines from Fox News, WSJ etc.

While this thread's name is Tesla specific (and doesn't seem to lack on-topic content) I see that it is also used for articles used to attack Elon Musk and his non-Tesla activities.

As such I will point to a recent attack:
Steve Sherman - Elon Musk’s SpaceX Example of Crony Capitalism
which feeds off the L.A. Times' well-known "Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies" for the purpose of going after Musk and SpaceX (and John McCain).

Per the prologue of the thread:
In my understanding the main idea of this attack is that SpaceX is managing to out-maneuver ULA only due to government subsidies and unfair legislation (pushed by John McCain, who is getting kickbacks from Musk) thus accusing Musk (and McCain) of crony capitalism.

I consider this a fallacy since SpaceX in comparison to ULA is simply cheaper (while not relying on essential components imported from an adversarial country). SpaceX achieves its advantage due to its innovation, rather than unfair regulation and in fact had to struggle precisely against such unfair regulation.

As such the attack is a piece of propaganda typical for managing to completely turn things up side down.

The person behind this "analysis" is a Steve Sherman who back in April penned a similar attack (also via townhall.com), one that goes after Musk including Tesla.
According to his linkedin profile mr. Sherman is an entrepreneur with diverse interests, but none directly related to Musk ('s competitors):
https://www.linkedin.com/in/steve-sherman-21753386

Apparently mr. Sherman found himself a new source of income.

Of course there is a "fallacy", but don't for a moment think this fallacy is in turn the result of some kind of cognitive error by the opposite side (which would have to be forgiven). No, it's a brute and calculated attempt at shutting down your competitor instead of stepping up your own innovating. Pathetic.