Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

As UI Slowly Gets Unsnarled ... Got Reminded Today of the Bigger Picture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
I've been among those frustrated with 7.0 UI "improvements." Removed the analog speedo. Wrecked the analog energy gauge and made us dedicate a side panel to it. Hid the odo. Hid the temp. Hid the day/date. And, even hid the digital speedo behind the wheel ... unless you raise it way up ... and then, of course, have to hold it there. Peachy.

However, today reminded me to look at the big picture:

Normal car = Get it. Forget it. Never gonna get better.

Tesla = New autopilot. New daily learning by autopilot. And, new UI ... not ideal, but something fresh, something with many positives, and something which will continue to evolve.

Normal car = Missed out on LTE = Sorry. 3G forever.

Tesla = Install LTE at a reasonable price.

Normal car = No loaner.

Good car = Econo loaner ... or voucher for econo rental.

Premium car = Nice loaner ... but absolutely base model. Exterior looks like your Audi S5. But interior and driving experience are lowest available A5 configuration.

Tesla = Brings car to you. Picks up your car. And, the "loaner" is miles above your car. Top-of-the-line, loaded, red $135K P85D. (And, yes, the Insane Mode is almost absurdly woozifying.)

Much for which to be grateful!

Agree. They'll make mistakes. It won't always be an improvement with each update. Sometimes they'll take a step back but the fact they seem to listen and correct things for the most part says a lot.

Last edited:
Amen! Not only the best car on the planet. But the most outrageously fantastic service I have ever seen. Even over Apple.

As far as the UI goes: yes, the speed indicator is too high for my steering wheel height preference, by far. That does bug me. But I can deal with it. But I HATE the new clock!!! I hate it so much that I probably am getting annoying on how many threads that I have said this. But that's how much I HATE IT!!!:cursing: Please please please Tesla, redo that. It's so 70's Lincoln Mark III!

Such a waste of valuable space for more pertinent information.

Well said. The issue is that when broken down in to little pieces (e.g. the Consumer Reports stuff) you can pick nits with Tesla. But when approached from the entirety of the ownership experience it's a different story and one that is incredibly compelling. I don't think it can be fully appreciated unless one owns the car and lives with it as a daily driver.

But the new clock app is just another app you can select to display or not select and ignore. I don't get all the angst about it.

When I first saw the clock in photos of 7 beta I thought 'what an awful rendition of an analog clock'. I still think it's not pretty, but after fiddling around with what app to put where, I've ended up with the clock on the left and power-consumption-since-charge/beginning of trip on the right. Go figure. Guess I should be driving a Lincoln.

Normal car = Missed out on LTE = Sorry. 3G forever.

Tesla = Install LTE at a reasonable price.

Normal car = No loaner.

Good car = Econo loaner ... or voucher for econo rental.

Premium car = Nice loaner ... but absolutely base model. Exterior looks like your Audi S5. But interior and driving experience are lowest available A5 configuration.

Tesla = Brings car to you. Picks up your car. And, the "loaner" is miles above your car. Top-of-the-line, loaded, red $135K P85D. (And, yes, the Insane Mode is almost absurdly woozifying.)

Just on these two points, my buddy just had his Buick upgraded from 3G to LTE for free. Way back, I had an old GMC upgraded from analog to 3G, also for free.

In terms of loaners, my old dealer would pick up / drop off washed and cleaned or give me an equivalent or better car as a loaner. With Tesla, it's hit and miss. I've had a Ford Fusion from Enterprise, once an old showroom car with severely worn seats and B-pillars and often a 60 kWh car.

Not complaining... just sayin'

When I first saw the clock in photos of 7 beta I thought 'what an awful rendition of an analog clock'. I still think it's not pretty, but after fiddling around with what app to put where, I've ended up with the clock on the left and power-consumption-since-charge/beginning of trip on the right. Go figure. Guess I should be driving a Lincoln.
Jokingly, You traded the power meter for an analog clock? You are so unlike some of us who strives to drive with minimal power demand watching every kW to make the most range in spite of having a 691:tongue: motor HP car.

Jokingly, You traded the power meter for an analog clock? You are so unlike some of us who strives to drive with minimal power demand watching every kW to make the most range in spite of having a 691:tongue: motor HP car.

Seriously though, after months of driving with the meter I ended up with enough muscle memory for using the pedal smoothly that I don't think having it now would improve my driving more. Otherwise, I would still use it. And for some odd reason I do find it comforting to have a big clock.

I wish things around these parts were like that. I just dropped my car off this morning and it was exactly as it always is, rarely up to expectations.

I ask for things and the ball is constantly dropped. Expectations rarely met and communication lacking. I'm getting to be very frustrated and disappointed with Tesla Service. But is really hard to express my frustration when the service writer I like to deal with is such a cool guy. I try very hard to be cool with him when I'm not happy so when I ask for things it happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Amen! Not only the best car on the planet. But the most outrageously fantastic service I have ever seen. Even over Apple.

Must be something about the Chicago / Milwaukee area. The Apple experience around here is horrible too.

Maybe it's different in other parts of the country but in 2 1/2 years and 24K miles I have had Tesla come get my car, had great loaners and I have not paid a dime for any service. Never owned an Apple product but as far as I'm concerned, the service could not be any better.