Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At this point, FSD would be worth the price if all it did was turn off AP nag!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my Model S to the SC a couple of weeks ago and told them not to update the software (I had 2018.14.1). Of course, they went ahead and did it anyway. Autopilot is now completely unusable with the 20 second nags. I almost never use it anymore because if my hand has to be on the wheel all the time, I can always drive better than AP anyway.

I sure wish they hadn't updated the software, because AutoPilot used to be really great.

Elon should offer the no-nag option for FSD, he could probably sell twice as many pre-orders for it.

Maybe we could get Elon a MAGA hat ("Make Autopilot Great Again!")

Until Tesla receives regulatory approval to operate vehicles under FSD, even if you've purchased FSD, Tesla won't be able to disable the nag.

The nag isn't bad on our 2017 S 100D. But with our 2018 X 100D, it requires considerably more effort to overcome the nag.

Tesla has probably overcompensated for drivers who were either driving for extended periods with their hands off the wheel or were trying to use cheats (like the "Buddy") to defeat the nag system. Hopefully they'll continue refining the nag to better detect a human holding the steering wheel, and minimize how much unnecessary jiggling is required with the steer wheel to get by the nag.

I took my Model S to the SC a couple of weeks ago and told them not to update the software (I had 2018.14.1). Of course, they went ahead and did it anyway. Autopilot is now completely unusable with the 20 second nags. I almost never use it anymore because if my hand has to be on the wheel all the time, I can always drive better than AP anyway.

I sure wish they hadn't updated the software, because AutoPilot used to be really great.

Elon should offer the no-nag option for FSD, he could probably sell twice as many pre-orders for it.

Try driving with only one hand on the wheel offset to the side. The car can only detect torque (rotational force). If you drive with a balanced two hand 2-10 position, it won't sense your hands and you'll get more nags...

Let me save you $5 K. Raise you seat slightly, put your knee under the steering wheel and drop the steering wheel so that it makes light contact with your knee. You can feel your knee slightly resist the constant twitching of the steering wheel.Switch knees occasionally for comfort. I just finished a 200 mile interstate trip with zero nags

Try driving with only one hand on the wheel offset to the side. The car can only detect torque (rotational force). If you drive with a balanced two hand 2-10 position, it won't sense your hands and you'll get more nags...

How is encouraging you to drive with one hand on the wheel rather than two hands safer? I'm with the OP on this, I haven't downgraded yet so still have a pre-nag AP and don't intend updating. If I did I may as well drive manually as two hands on the wheel is safer than one

How is encouraging you to drive with one hand on the wheel rather than two hands safer? I'm with the OP on this, I haven't downgraded yet so still have a pre-nag AP and don't intend updating. If I did I may as well drive manually as two hands on the wheel is safer than one

Yeah, I had that thought when I posted. It was more of a diagnostic than a recommendation, but point taken. You can achieve the same with asymmetric holding patterns with two hands, or supporting one hand more than the other.

Yeah, I had that thought when I posted. It was more of a diagnostic than a recommendation, but point taken. You can achieve the same with asymmetric holding patterns with two hands, or supporting one hand more than the other.
Maybe it's just me, but that takes more effort to balance the force than it takes to drive manually. I wonder if there'll be a reduction in AP use and a subsequent increase in crashes?

Not that I think you have too much chance of success... but go back to the SC and request that they downgrade you to 2018.14 again. After all, the ones that ignored your request not to update...

I also request that my car not be updated when I bring it into service. It gets a little tricky if they’re swapping components that require a fw redeploy to install, but I would absolutely expect to be notified/asked ahead of them going against my wishes and updating my fw...

Zero sympathy here... You're supposed to have at least one hand on the wheel, that's ALWAYS been the requirement. You knew that when you bought the car, it was no secret.

It's hilarious to see people so upset with Tesla for making AP work the way it's supposed to with hand detection as if they "broke" something... If anything, they finally "fixed" it...

Jeff

Not that I think you have too much chance of success... but go back to the SC and request that they downgrade you to 2018.14 again. After all, the ones that ignored your request not to update...

I also request that my car not be updated when I bring it into service. It gets a little tricky if they’re swapping components that require a fw redeploy to install, but I would absolutely expect to be notified/asked ahead of them going against my wishes and updating my fw...
It's literally not possible to downgrade firmware. The updater only allows an increased increment in version number.

lol. just lol.

All of us can drive better than autopilot, do we want to be exhausted at the end of our roadtrips though? I didn't realize tugging the wheel every 30 seconds was so exhausting to some people.

• Disagree
Reactions: MIT_S60 and Zythryn

Wouldn’t that be like keeping you hostage and asking for a ransom?

if the new releases were properly detecting the presence of one or both hands on the steering wheel, we wouldn't be seeing any complaints about the nag.

The nag problem is due to a flaw in how Tesla is detecting the presence of hands on the steering wheel. Even if both hands are on the wheel, the new software doesn't detect them - instead, the software requires that you periodically move the steering wheel slightly, but not enough to disengage EAP.

The hand detection appears to be different on our 2017 S 100D vs. our 2018 X 100D. On our S, we aren't seeing the nags - keeping hands on the wheel seem to be sufficient to avoid getting the nags. On our X, you have to also do the "wiggle" periodically.

In the early days of EAP - everyone was wiggling the steering wheel under AutoSteer, because the software tended to "ping pong" from side to side in the lane. Since it became "silky smooth", we haven't needed to do that, except when AutoSteer misinterprets the lane lines (exit ramps, highway splits, construction areas, …).

We should all continue to complain about the overaggressive nag. It's likely Tesla over-reacted to use of devices like the "Buddy" which tried to defeat hand detection, and that we could see Tesla dial this down in subsequent releases.

Though if people continue talking about ways to defeat the hand detection (or worse post videos about it), Tesla may be forced to make the nag even more aggressive...

Reactions: MIT_S60