TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AU Pricing

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Marec, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Vegas

Vegas Member

Incorrect Vostok- It was a well executed screw up.:)

• Funny x 1
  2. GDA8

GDA8 New Member

Hi Smithy, where you can get the deal for $2800 FSD upgrade? I can't find the autopilot section on my account now and I asked the guy from services, they said they had issues with the price and I can't purchase at all...

3. paulp

paulp Active Member

Its still in mine. I opened my account and went to manage, and scrolled down.

4. JayTee

JayTee Member

Its not on my account anymore either.
    Was there until I purchased EAP 2 days before the recent price drop.

5. dalec

dalec Member

@360C and @100KWH I absolutely feel for you guys. I completely understand your position, especially with respect to finance. My comments aren't going to make you feel better. I just put a deposit down for a new long range Model S so my "gain" is your pain.

I cross-shopped the Jaguar I-Pace. I test drove that car in late Jan. At the time, feature for feature, I thought it was slightly better value. The advantages of the Tesla (for me) were slightly better range and the supercharger network. When I drove the Jag, the salesperson said to me "You have to think of it as an investment". At which point I immediately stopped him and said, "Please, tell me any other lies you like about this car, but don't try to tell me I'm doing anything other than setting fire to a pile of money".

The Jag is a nicer car inside, at least that's my perception and before the price change, I was going to buy it. After the price change, I thought, 'That's the right value point for the Model S and Tesla deserves my money for being the innovator'. My overall expectation hasn't changed though. I'm still setting fire to cash. The market only changes if people buy the vehicles, and early adopters in tech always pay the heaviest price. I know that from repeated personal experience, as I'm sure most people reading this do. Buying Tesla is buying inexperience in a market with a century of history. They don't have the product, marketing, manufacturing and distribution DNA of the other brands. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.

Tesla is now the best car at a good price, so I bought it. A sale that I can tell you probably would not have gone that way a few weeks prior. So the net impact of the price change should bring more buyers to the brand.

If it makes you feel any better, you've had more time in your cars, and for that I am very jealous.

• Like x 2
  6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Welcome to the Tesla community, you are going to love the car.
    It's good you're going into it knowing the company is still young. There are people on this forum who have some of the first RHD cars Tesla produced, and those cars aren't even 5 years old. I've had my car less than 3 years, and when I bought it you couldn't drive Sydney to Brisbane without slow charging at Coffs Harbour showgrounds :)

7. paulp

paulp Active Member

Congrats on making the right purchase. I’m a fan of uncluttered minimalism and simple clean lines, coupled with understated luxury. The jag interior definately isnt to my liking.

• Like x 1
  8. 100KWH

100KWH Member

Welcome to the community! Fortunately, I don't feel too bad - as you said, I've had a year with the car prior to the price drop, and one can't really price 'supporting the mission'. I do hear the price drops will be partially reversed soon due to Tesla's about-face in keeping many stores open. So you've struck a bargain!

9. dalec

dalec Member

Thanks @paulp I can understand that view. I like both interiors. In the end I guess my money voted in favour of your opinion :)

10. dalec

dalec Member

Thanks @100KWH, I heard that too, and I will be interested to see what the price changes to after tonight.

11. mhh

mhh Member

12. paulp

paulp Active Member

I’ll add it to the pile of anti tesla rubbish that has been slowly building for the past decade......meanwhile tesla just keep achieving those targets and goals, and screwing over the fossil fuel interests.

• Like x 1
  13. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Not that interesting, I've heard this view expressed many times.
    The simple fact is that Tesla is growing every quarter, they are acheiving their mission, and are consistently ranked up near the top of consumer satisfaction.
    The didn't have to worry about cannabalizing ICE sales and servicing the way the old car makers did, and have gone all-in on EV. Without Tesla we would all be trying to find a Nissan dealer who could be bothered showing us a Leaf, then charging at some 3rd party RFID-needing barely-fast-enough ChaDeMo in front of the NRMA office.

• Like x 3
  14. mhh

mhh Member

15. Jays200

Jays200 Member

I stumped up $4300 for FSD when the price first dropped in early March. It then dropped further to $2800. After hearing from @model3owners on Twitter Tesla would refund the difference, I reached out to Tesla Australia to ask the question. Last Friday I got a call from Tesla saying they would refund the $1500 difference. That night the credit showed up in my account. Thanks Tesla.

• Like x 2
  16. JayTee

JayTee Member

The price rise has now taken effect, P100DL in NSW has gone from starting at 164k up to 178k, still pretty cheap compared to a month ago.

Its now 159k without ludicrous which was not an option yesterday.

17. Brissienew

Brissienew Member

And they have dropped the standard model. The cheapest model S is now about 40k than it used to be a few years ago.

• Informative x 1
  18. paulp

paulp Active Member

Ludicrous is an option. If you click on the performance box it comes up.

19. paulp

paulp Active Member

The long range fully optioned is now the same price as an equally fully optioned 75d from mid last year.

20. JayTee

JayTee Member

Yes, I know. But you can have it without ludicrous for 159k now which wasnt possible yesterday. Ludicrous was standard for the Aussie market. Like for like (with Luda) price has risen from 164k to 178k.