Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Testing audio formats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using a 64GB card from here I got for $40. Holds an awful lot of songs, even with many lossless. I suppose you could even use both USB ports, but then you'd not have all the songs together. (I've tried: You browse USB1 and USB2 separately.)

I decided to go micro.

I purchased a 32GB micro SD and a USB reader that is the size of my thumbnail. It protrudes from the port about 5mm.

Now, the card is a class4, but I'm not streaming and a half second load time doesn't bother me. My only concern is that when in the belkin hub at home, it gets awfully warm. But at work, in the Dell, it doesn't. So I'm hoping for longevity whilst in the car and not running warm.

Discovered that .m4a aac files play, but .m4a Apple Lossless do not.

Also, flac woks up to 48khz / 24bit or 96khz / 16bit but not 96khz / 24bit.

Strangely a .mp4 video file plays, but you can only hear it. (No video output obviously.) Discovered that by accident when there was a file from work on the USB stick I was testing with.

Still haven't found a way to play discrete audio. :-(

And just a clarification on the spreadsheet: Multichannel .wav does play, but it only plays the first two channels. (Unlike multichannel flac which wouldn't play at all.)

I decided to go micro. I purchased a 32GB micro SD and a USB reader that is the size of my thumbnail. It protrudes from the port about 5mm.

I was going to get a number of small USB drives, but I went your way as well.

Both were purchased on Amazon. The USB reader and the Class 10/UHS Class 1 64 GB microsd card. Incidentally, the XC card works fine in the HC reader. I haven't benchmarked anything, so it probably doesn't take full advantage of the XC capabilities. I could always buy an XC specific reader.

Warning: This thing is small! I'm sure if I dropped it between the seats of the Model S it would be gone forever.

Also, flac woks up to 48khz / 24bit or 96khz / 16bit but not 96khz / 24bit.

Strangely a .mp4 video file plays, but you can only hear it. (No video output obviously.) Discovered that by accident when there was a file from work on the USB stick I was testing with.

Still haven't found a way to play discrete audio. :-(

And just a clarification on the spreadsheet: Multichannel .wav does play, but it only plays the first two channels. (Unlike multichannel flac which wouldn't play at all.)

Thanks for keeping us updated on the discrete situation. I haven't purchased any new music and I won't be until I hear how all this plays out.
I came close to buying a load of multichannel FLAC files a week or so ago. I'm lucky I didn't it appears. I wouldn't have used them for anything but the car. I already own the music in hard copy that is copy protected.

I posted that above as well, based on experience at the PA test drive event. Sorry to hear it's still the case. :-( I would really like support for Apple Lossless, as it's a format I use a lot. I don't think the quality is needed in a car environment, but it would just save me the hassle of having to create different versions for the car. The codec is now in the public domain, so this should be a straightforward addition for Tesla as they refine the audio system.

Like many people, I travel with an Ipod and I use Apple Lossless format exclusively. The difference is like night and day even with a $100 pair of headphones driven by an ipod.

So I'm sure there is an audible difference in quality between 320 AAC and Lossless in a Tesla. It will certainly show in the upper midrange and treble.

The Lossless issue is easily solved. Once you put all your songs on the USB stick, just use XLD to convert them in place to FLAC. FLAC is of identical quality to Apple Lossless and no quality is lost in the transcoding since these are lossless formats. XLD is freeware--just Google it.

I've seen several suggestions regarding music storage. Yet I am not clear on what is best for the Model S Sound Studio.
USB? SD? mini SD? micro?

Storage. Okay, you are asking storage. Well, the port is a USB, so your final connector will have to be USB.

Now ...

You can get pretty much any solution (SD, SDHC, SDmini SDmicro, even MSproDuo) as long as your reader is USB

Now(2) ...

The class of the storage device will render your access time results to vary (e.g. a class10 SD16 in a quality USBreader is going to zip right through the songs, while a SDHCmicro32 class2 in a chinatek reader is going to be quite a bit (relatively) slower.

Petefish has already determined that a powered platter (e.g. a USB external hard drive) no workee.

Hence, as far as storage, it really is up to you. Look, style, color (colour), size ... your call.

Cheers
WJ

Storage. Okay, you are asking storage. Well, the port is a USB, so your final connector will have to be USB.

Now ...

You can get pretty much any solution (SD, SDHC, SDmini SDmicro, even MSproDuo) as long as your reader is USB

Now(2) ...

The class of the storage device will render your access time results to vary (e.g. a class10 SD16 in a quality USBreader is going to zip right through the songs, while a SDHCmicro32 class2 in a chinatek reader is going to be quite a bit (relatively) slower.

Petefish has already determined that a powered platter (e.g. a USB external hard drive) no workee.

Hence, as far as storage, it really is up to you. Look, style, color (colour), size ... your call.

Cheers
WJ

You gave me the answer I was looking for if I read you right. There is only a USB port, nothing else, correct?

Did anybody ever put together a wiki or FAQ entry listing the confirmed formats? As my vehicle approaches, I'm curious about which lossless formats are known to be compatible thus far (my source material is direct-from-CD uncompressed WAV files).

Update: Post 84 has a link to some of the confirmed formats.

slightly OT, but large music libraries on a USB that only play in alphabetic order are kind of useless for me, regardless of the audio formats supported! Until Tesla add playlists, folders, shuffle, etc. to the built-in player I plan on using bluetooth from my iPhone.

Yes I know how awful that audio connection is, but when driving I don't plan on having a pocketful of thumb drives, each with its own playlist!

slightly OT, but large music libraries on a USB that only play in alphabetic order are kind of useless for me, regardless of the audio formats supported! Until Tesla add playlists, folders, shuffle, etc. to the built-in player I plan on using bluetooth from my iPhone.

Yes I know how awful that audio connection is, but when driving I don't plan on having a pocketful of thumb drives, each with its own playlist!

Hmm, I don't know how you approached it, but I copied my iTunes directory (after converting the few files that weren't already mp3s) to a USB, and I can select by artist, album, etc. just fine.