Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ive been seeing covers that go over the air cond vents beneath the front seats.
Can anyone who has a m3 tell me if there is, in fact, a big hole there that could use a cover to stop pubes and maccas chips finding their way in there?

like this

Yep, there is a hole there but it's way under the seat. If you're looking at getting the harder type car mats, I wouldn't bother with the vents. I bought some and they're still on shelf somewhere, when I looked it was way too much a hassle to install them.

Reactions: dronus
Yep, there is a hole there but it's way under the seat. If you're looking at getting the harder type car mats, I wouldn't bother with the vents. I bought some and they're still on shelf somewhere, when I looked it was way too much a hassle to install them.
Cool thanks, one less thing in my cart!

I’m still hoping that the rubber mats I bought way back when I ordered my car will fit, but either way would you recommend rubber mats for the trunk and frunk? I see some cover the back of the rear seats too.
If these don’t fit I’ll get rid of them and get a whole set.

*cough*

1700460114791.png

While we're waiting, it's worth thinking about some of the numbers associated with the Giga-factory in Shanghai.
  • Tesla claims that the factory can produce 950,000 vehicles per year.
  • Let's assume that they do this across 340 days per year (allowing 25 days off for Chinese New Year and other close-downs) - but reckoning that Saturdays and Sundays are full steam ahead.
  • On that basis, as many as 2,800 cars roll out the door each day. Where do you put them? And how do you get them there?
  • Well, if they are not going onto a ship same day, and assuming that you need a space about 5m x 2.5m to store a car, you'll need 12.5 sqm for each car. So one day's production takes up 35,000sqm. A regulation football pitch is 6,000sqm. So you need to find a paved area equivalent to six football pitches to store ONE DAY of production.
  • If the storage area is not immediately adjacent to the factory, and you need to put the cars onto trucks, and if each truck can haul six cars, then each day's production requires just under 470 truck movements. If each truck movement takes (say) two hours (load, drive to storage, unload, drive back), you'll get 12 movements per truck per day (no breakdowns, drivers' shifts managed to suit). So you need a full time fleet of 40 trucks.
  • Unless Tesla has phenomenal control over global shipping variables (weather, stink bugs, strikes, breakdowns, etc.), it's fair to assume that cars for any given destination may be sitting around for a few days waiting to sail. Let's say it's an average of two weeks. Storage space (assuming perfect management, no slack space, no mess-ups) is nearly 500,000sqm. 81 football fields. 124 acres in the old measures.
  • I think we've all seen the videos of cars driving onto ships. Every sixth or eighth vehicle ONTO the ship is a van to pick up drivers and bring them back out to grab another car. The car-carrying ships hold 3,000 - 6,000 vehicles. Loading one will require up to 1,000 van trips out of the vessel just to shift the drivers around.
Look, some of the above is based on guess-work. I've seen reports that Shanghai can build up to 3,600 cars per day, for example. But even if I'm significantly 'out' in my estimates, the scale of the undertaking is stunning. The complexity of the variables boggles the mind. And I haven't even considered the input side of the equation (the raw materials and OEM supplier inputs required to spit out all those completed vehicles).

It's been suggested that Tesla might manage 50,000 deliveries in Oz this year. Everything coming here is made in Shanghai (at present). Our 50,000 cars are:
  • somewhere between 14 and18 days of factory output (if the factory is running production dedicated to one country at a time - again an assumption)
  • somewhere between 8 and 16 full ships (if Tesla fills whole ships - no other manufacturers on board).
I start to understand why production and arrivals are 'lumpy'.

Like many here, I hope that the 'Jan 2024 - Mar 2024' delivery estimate is pessimistic, and that our cars will arrive earlier. But when I start to mull over the complexity of the exercise and the sheer numbers involved, I am comfortable to sit back and wait for the very-large-and-complex wheels to turn.

Except I can't wait. I haven't reached dronus-level anticipation, but I am keen!

While we're waiting, it's worth thinking about some of the numbers associated with the Giga-factory in Shanghai.
  • Let's assume that they do this across 340 days per year (allowing 25 days off for Chinese New Year and other close-downs) - but reckoning that Saturdays and Sundays are full steam ahead.
  • On that basis, as many as 2,800 cars roll out the door each day. Where do you put them? And how do you get them there?
  • Well, if they are not going onto a ship same day, and assuming that you need a space about 5m x 2.5m to store a car, you'll need 12.5 sqm for each car. So one day's production takes up 35,000sqm. A regulation football pitch is 6,000sqm. So you need to find a paved area equivalent to six football pitches to store ONE DAY of production.

30°50'45.7"N 121°50'05.1"E

31°18'58.8"N 121°40'23.5"E

These are the two piers that Tesla ship from, the second one isn't exclusive to Tesla, not sure about the first one as that is very close to the Gigafactory. On the second one though you can zoom in and see how big that carpark is.

• Funny
Reactions: PcS000
30°50'45.7"N 121°50'05.1"E

31°18'58.8"N 121°40'23.5"E

These are the two piers that Tesla ship from, the second one isn't exclusive to Tesla, not sure about the first one as that is very close to the Gigafactory. On the second one though you can zoom in and see how big that carpark is.

Yeah, check some of the WuWa videos on youtube, that south port car park area is MASSIVE and there are constant streams of cars going in and out and boarding ships.

Reactions: DougalVizsla
  • If the storage area is not immediately adjacent to the factory, and you need to put the cars onto trucks, and if each truck can haul six cars, then each day's production requires just under 470 truck movements. If each truck movement takes (say) two hours (load, drive to storage, unload, drive back), you'll get 12 movements per truck per day (no breakdowns, drivers' shifts managed to suit). So you need a full time fleet of 40 trucks.
  • Unless Tesla has phenomenal control over global shipping variables (weather, stink bugs, strikes, breakdowns, etc.), it's fair to assume that cars for any given destination may be sitting around for a few days waiting to sail. Let's say it's an average of two weeks. Storage space (assuming perfect management, no slack space, no mess-ups) is nearly 500,000sqm. 81 football fields. 124 acres in the old measures.
  • I think we've all seen the videos of cars driving onto ships. Every sixth or eighth vehicle ONTO the ship is a van to pick up drivers and bring them back out to grab another car. The car-carrying ships hold 3,000 - 6,000 vehicles. Loading one will require up to 1,000 van trips out of the vessel just to shift the drivers around.
Look, some of the above is based on guess-work. I've seen reports that Shanghai can build up to 3,600 cars per day, for example. But even if I'm significantly 'out' in my estimates, the scale of the undertaking is stunning. The complexity of the variables boggles the mind. And I haven't even considered the input side of the equation (the raw materials and OEM supplier inputs required to spit out all those completed vehicles).

It's been suggested that Tesla might manage 50,000 deliveries in Oz this year. Everything coming here is made in Shanghai (at present). Our 50,000 cars are:
  • somewhere between 14 and18 days of factory output (if the factory is running production dedicated to one country at a time - again an assumption)
  • somewhere between 8 and 16 full ships (if Tesla fills whole ships - no other manufacturers on board).
I start to understand why production and arrivals are 'lumpy'.

Like many here, I hope that the 'Jan 2024 - Mar 2024' delivery estimate is pessimistic, and that our cars will arrive earlier. But when I start to mull over the complexity of the exercise and the sheer numbers involved, I am comfortable to sit back and wait for the very-large-and-complex wheels to turn.

Except I can't wait. I haven't reached dronus-level anticipation, but I am keen!
You are way too clever for this waiting room thread