Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we've all seen the videos of cars driving onto ships. Every sixth or eighth vehicle ONTO the ship is a van to pick up drivers and bring them back out to grab another car. The car-carrying ships hold 3,000 - 6,000 vehicles. Loading one will require up to 1,000 van trips out of the vessel just to shift the drivers around.
I wonder when they'll have enough confidence in the FSD to have the cars drive themselves onto the ships.

Cool thanks, one less thing in my cart!

I’m still hoping that the rubber mats I bought way back when I ordered my car will fit, but either way would you recommend rubber mats for the trunk and frunk? I see some cover the back of the rear seats too.
If these don’t fit I’ll get rid of them and get a whole set.
The rubber mats in the frunk and boot are helpful, especially if you’ll put you’ll be putting messy things in there like muddy shoes or stuff from the beach. The only thing I found with the boot mat is it can be a bit of pain (a slight inconvenience) if you want to get something out from the storage below it. I wish they put a crease or hinge, as part of its design, to make access just a little easier to the storage below.

I got the rear seat covers for the boot, yep they’re definitely worth it.

I also bought the seat covers for the rear of the front seats. IMO, it makes them look nicer rather than the hard plastic that’s on my M3. I’d like to see if someone will make a highland version of them.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005288262051.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.75c5454fm4wFiZ&pdp_npi=4@pre!AUD!AU $39.58!AU $13.22!AU $21.78!!25.43!8.49!@2101c6e317004765927566164e423a!12000032500578069!sh!AU!161043816!

Reactions: dronus
The rubber mats in the frunk and boot are helpful, especially if you’ll put you’ll be putting messy things in there like muddy shoes or stuff from the beach. The only thing I found with the boot mat is it can be a bit of pain (a slight inconvenience) if you want to get something out from the storage below it. I wish they put a crease or hinge, as part of its design, to make access just a little easier to the storage below.

I got the rear seat covers for the boot, yep they’re definitely worth it.

I also bought the seat covers for the rear of the front seats. IMO, it makes them look nicer rather than the hard plastic that’s on my M3. I’d like to see if someone will make a highland version of them.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005288262051.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.75c5454fm4wFiZ&pdp_npi=4@pre!AUD!AU $39.58!AU $13.22!AU $21.78!!25.43!8.49!@2101c6e317004765927566164e423a!12000032500578069!sh!AU!161043816!
Crap there goes my cart again haha.
Yeah might hold tight and see what the car comes with and for highland variants. Those air vent covers were different.
I hope my mats, sunroof shades, and the other stuff I can’t remember I bought fit haha ohh well

• Funny
Reactions: FilthyCyberRat
While we're waiting, it's worth thinking about some of the numbers associated with the Giga-factory in Shanghai.
  • Tesla claims that the factory can produce 950,000 vehicles per year.
  • Let's assume that they do this across 340 days per year (allowing 25 days off for Chinese New Year and other close-downs) - but reckoning that Saturdays and Sundays are full steam ahead.
  • On that basis, as many as 2,800 cars roll out the door each day. Where do you put them? And how do you get them there?
  • Well, if they are not going onto a ship same day, and assuming that you need a space about 5m x 2.5m to store a car, you'll need 12.5 sqm for each car. So one day's production takes up 35,000sqm. A regulation football pitch is 6,000sqm. So you need to find a paved area equivalent to six football pitches to store ONE DAY of production.
  • If the storage area is not immediately adjacent to the factory, and you need to put the cars onto trucks, and if each truck can haul six cars, then each day's production requires just under 470 truck movements. If each truck movement takes (say) two hours (load, drive to storage, unload, drive back), you'll get 12 movements per truck per day (no breakdowns, drivers' shifts managed to suit). So you need a full time fleet of 40 trucks.
  • Unless Tesla has phenomenal control over global shipping variables (weather, stink bugs, strikes, breakdowns, etc.), it's fair to assume that cars for any given destination may be sitting around for a few days waiting to sail. Let's say it's an average of two weeks. Storage space (assuming perfect management, no slack space, no mess-ups) is nearly 500,000sqm. 81 football fields. 124 acres in the old measures.
  • I think we've all seen the videos of cars driving onto ships. Every sixth or eighth vehicle ONTO the ship is a van to pick up drivers and bring them back out to grab another car. The car-carrying ships hold 3,000 - 6,000 vehicles. Loading one will require up to 1,000 van trips out of the vessel just to shift the drivers around.
Look, some of the above is based on guess-work. I've seen reports that Shanghai can build up to 3,600 cars per day, for example. But even if I'm significantly 'out' in my estimates, the scale of the undertaking is stunning. The complexity of the variables boggles the mind. And I haven't even considered the input side of the equation (the raw materials and OEM supplier inputs required to spit out all those completed vehicles).

It's been suggested that Tesla might manage 50,000 deliveries in Oz this year. Everything coming here is made in Shanghai (at present). Our 50,000 cars are:
  • somewhere between 14 and18 days of factory output (if the factory is running production dedicated to one country at a time - again an assumption)
  • somewhere between 8 and 16 full ships (if Tesla fills whole ships - no other manufacturers on board).
I start to understand why production and arrivals are 'lumpy'.

Like many here, I hope that the 'Jan 2024 - Mar 2024' delivery estimate is pessimistic, and that our cars will arrive earlier. But when I start to mull over the complexity of the exercise and the sheer numbers involved, I am comfortable to sit back and wait for the very-large-and-complex wheels to turn.

Except I can't wait. I haven't reached dronus-level anticipation, but I am keen!
I needed to have rest and a lie down part way through that. 🤣

Crap there goes my cart again haha.
Yeah might hold tight and see what the car comes with and for highland variants. Those air vent covers were different.
I hope my mats, sunroof shades, and the other stuff I can’t remember I bought fit haha ohh well
I’m waiting until the car arrives before ordering any mats - but I’ll definitely be getting the front and back seat mats.

Reactions: dronus
I’m waiting until the car arrives before ordering any mats - but I’ll definitely be getting the front and back seat mats.
Yeah I went a bit nuts when I first ordered, then hesitated when it converted to highland and then didn’t learn my lesson and kept going… I think everything has arrived and I’ll just cart stuff until the car gets here.
I'm meant to be going over to country Victoria around Xmas so might be one last hurrah for the ice car. Might be easier with petrol vs charging etc but would be nicer to do in the Tesla.

👀
IMG_8946.jpeg

Reactions: X Æ A-12
Cool thanks, one less thing in my cart!

I’m still hoping that the rubber mats I bought way back when I ordered my car will fit, but either way would you recommend rubber mats for the trunk and frunk? I see some cover the back of the rear seats too.
If these don’t fit I’ll get rid of them and get a whole set.
Not sure if the vent is the same in the Model Y, but my partner dropped her lipstick in our Model Y and we thought nothing of it, thinking we would pick it up after the drive. But of course we forgot about it, and a day later there was a mysterious rattling sound from seemingly somewhere behind the drivers seat. Turns out the lipstick had found its way into the vent, and the little left hand bend deep down meant we couldn’t for the life of us get it back out. Had to book it in to Tesla, quote of $250, but which I negotiated down to $80 as the fellow said he had another customer the week before in a Model 3 with the same issue and couldn’t charge us the full amount…

so if the vent under the seat is the same, I’ll be getting one of these for the M3.

Reactions: PcS000 and dronus
Not sure if the vent is the same in the Model Y, but my partner dropped her lipstick in our Model Y and we thought nothing of it, thinking we would pick it up after the drive. But of course we forgot about it, and a day later there was a mysterious rattling sound from seemingly somewhere behind the drivers seat. Turns out the lipstick had found its way into the vent, and the little left hand bend deep down meant we couldn’t for the life of us get it back out. Had to book it in to Tesla, quote of $250, but which I negotiated down to $80 as the fellow said he had another customer the week before in a Model 3 with the same issue and couldn’t charge us the full amount…

so if the vent under the seat is the same, I’ll be getting one of these for the M3.
Thanks for the info!
They are pretty cheap insurance, back on the list it goes :)