Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have it in writing, they definitely will not be able to walk back. But even a verbal assurance can be sufficient under Australian Consumer Law, if you took notes of the conversation at the time, or some other evidence a promise was made.
Disappointing we are even having this discussion. Clarity from Tesla would stop speculation.

Reactions: trippa and penn_
Hmm it's interesting as I ordered mine in 21 Dec. Got a VIN. Then in early March I got notification to book delivery at then end of March then 2 days before the delivery date they rang up and said the delivery is delayed as some error came up when the car left the NSW port. Since then the delivery date was changed 3 times. The update today is no ETA as they are waiting for part. The annoying thing is when the delivery date was first book for end of March, they let Macquarie know about delivery and never bothered to let them know about the delay so now they got the full payment and I haven't got the car. I suspect that they wanted to close the 1st quarter sales reporting and did that intentionally to get the money.

Hi Quang - did you find out what is wrong with the car? What part is being replaced?

It’s worth noting that the mobile connector, used with a standard US socket, is far less useful with the US 110V power supply. It takes days to charge the car, twice as long as it does here. While most could get by with the UMC in Australia, you’d probably want a different plug or dedicated charger in the US. Here, it looks like the UMC is sticking around.

So far the clarity is from the SA's.
If it was any other car manufacturer you would only have the sales person to talk to.
Who would you like to clarify this from Tesla?
An email to all order holders or a Tesla corporate press release stating the intentions of Tesla regarding this matter. This would then be available to all in the public domain instead of speculation and rumour fill the information void.
Business and political comms 101.

Reactions: penn_
It’s worth noting that the mobile connector, used with a standard US socket, is far less useful with the US 110V power supply. It takes days to charge the car, twice as long as it does here. While most could get by with the UMC in Australia, you’d probably want a different plug or dedicated charger in the US. Here, it looks like the UMC is sticking around.
It's the same UMC we get here and is supplied with a 120VAC 15A. Other tails are available. These are the charge rates provided by these adaptors. It's no slouch.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 8.08.27 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 8.08.27 am.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 76
An email to all order holders or a Tesla corporate press release stating the intentions of Tesla regarding this matter. This would then be available to all in the public domain instead of speculation and rumour fill the information void.
Business and political comms 101.
Didn't Elon tweet that it only affects US vehicles?
But apart from that I have never seen any vehicle manufacturer send a bulk e-mail saying they are taking something out of their vehicles.
Maybe they would send it to auto news websites but that really is it. Even then those same sites have reported on the UMC not affecting Australian delivered cars.

It's the same UMC we get here and is supplied with a 120VAC 15A. Other tails are available. These are the charge rates provided by these adaptors. It's no slouch.

15A @ 120V as the default in the USA is still less power than the default here 10A @ 240V. So it is plausible that a higher proportion of people in the USA find the UMC less useful than they do in 230-240V countries.

Also 3-phase power to residential properties in the USA is very if not extremely rare, but here it‘s quite common. And also much easier in Australia for a 1-phase house to be upgraded to 3-phase because almost everywhere in Australia the final distribution network running down every street is 3-phase. So all that is required is a new 4-wire lead-in from the nearest pole and meter box upgrade (a house 2 doors down from me had it done recently).

This is not the case in the USA where the final distribution network in residential areas is usually 1-phase, so to upgrade to 3-phase requires new wiring (overhead or underground) to be installed from the final distribution transformer all the way to your house and hence is prohibitively expensive and people just don’t do it.

15A @ 120V as the default in the USA is still less power than the default here 10A @ 240V. So it is plausible that a higher proportion of people in the USA find the UMC less useful than they do in 230-240V countries.

Also 3-phase power to residential properties in the USA is very if not extremely rare, but here it‘s quite common. And also much easier in Australia for a 1-phase house to be upgraded to 3-phase because almost everywhere in Australia the final distribution network running down every street is 3-phase. So all that is required is a new 4-wire lead-in from the nearest pole and meter box upgrade (a house 2 doors down from me had it done recently).

This is not the case in the USA where the final distribution network in residential areas is usually 1-phase, so to upgrade to 3-phase requires new wiring (overhead or underground) to be installed from the final distribution transformer all the way to your house and hence is prohibitively expensive and people just don’t do it.
US supply is split phase 240V. Any high current device - oven, drier etc - has 240VAC available and many, if not most homes have 240 VAC 30A outlets. 7.2kW. Not bad.