Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you with VINs, did any of you get the “EL0N” Easter egg?

I did.

LRW3F7EL0NC56****
Nah haha. Mine is FS6N where your EL0N is. I googled it thinking it's something secret and it came up with orbital sander videos

Wow, its 22kW on 3 Phase so double my 11kW Tesla brand. Probably not worth it as I only do about 200kms a week so that is one overnight charge per week or so (for 2.5 hours or so).

But interesting to see.
I think the on board AC charger with the model 3 is maximum 11kw, so buying a higher capacity charger won't help you. Personally, I think I will get by with just charging from the 10A socket each night between Midnight and 7am to get the cheapest rate (currently 13.9 cents for me). One of the advantages of being retired, I don't have a commute, but even if I did I think I could still get by with that amount of charging. I guess I will see. If I find I need a bit more I think I would be more likely to get a 3 phase outlet installed and buy one of those adaptor plugs to give me 7kw (I think).

Reactions: New Tech Bj
Wow, its 22kW on 3 Phase so double my 11kW Tesla brand.
The Tesla charger is also 3ph 32A or 22kW, but subject to the onboard charger.

If you have a pre-2019 Model S with the dual charger option (about $3k) you can charge at 22kW, and the more recent legacy S/X and eventually refresh ones can do 16.5kW.

its basically 3 times the price of the Tesla unit for maybe a little more smarts.

Reactions: cafz
Did everyone buy the charger first then get a sparky to install? I've seen some places provide and install but fear the bonus $$$ they'll add on top
I ordered mine around 3 months ago, and only arranged the install once I was told I was getting one of the reallocated cars.
Local sparky with lots of Tesla experience fitted it with ia single phase 32A circuit for $735. Price included swapping out 5 light switches and 5 fan/light combo switches

Just curious with the charger discussion. In people's opinion, is it worth the cost?
Being in Australia we are 240v, a top up would be completed overnight, I would assume.
This part of the equation is a mystery to me. Is there a resource you can suggest to help me get up to speed (charge my neurones)?

Thanks.

Just curious with the charger discussion. In people's opinion, is it worth the cost?
Being in Australia we are 240v, a top up would be completed overnight, I would assume.
This part of the equation is a mystery to me. Is there a resource you can suggest to help me get up to speed (charge my neurones)?

Thanks.
For me, at the moment, in my location we don’t have any suitable fast charging that I can use after a trip away. Which is why I bought that wall charger and had the 32A circuit installed. The charging infrastructure is coming but they’ve said that for a while now. It was more piece of mind that I would/could charge the car up a lot faster than the normal 10A plug. The cheapest option for you might be to have a single phase 15A installed, the you’d still be able to use the charger that comes with car but have it charge a bit faster.
E082637D-A8C4-4397-A520-FECFD9F9B425.jpeg

670B2074-C4A3-42EA-BEBC-654B4C6888DF.jpeg

Reactions: fobo

Thanks.
15kmh an hour charge speed is a bit slow, especially as I want to take advantage of solar. We do about 60-80kms on a normal weekday

So my thinking was if I’m getting a sparky out, I may as well just get a 32amp socket. And if I do that, may as well also get the charger so I can leave the other one in the car

Reactions: cafz

Thanks.
It seems to depend on how much you plan to drive. I know people who plug into a normal 10A outlet and are happy and 3 phase and they are also happy.

Reactions: Ormaus
15kmh an hour charge speed is a bit slow, especially as I want to take advantage of solar. We do about 60-80kms on a normal weekday

So my thinking was if I’m getting a sparky out, I may as well just get a 32amp socket. And if I do that, may as well also get the charger so I can leave the other one in the car
two cars pending - two chargers in the carport 32Amp Circuit. Tesla Gen 3 (I can be corrected on this) has a Master Slave setup or "Power Share".. so this should more than suffice.

LFP needs 100%
Long Range will charge 80-90% unless it's a big trip.

Solar + Battery and to top it off my Energy provider has an EV plan for 12Am-6Am at 6c a KW so that should be super fun if I can get Scheduled Charging right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luddo and fobo