Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canberra peeps...
Anyone picked a tinter yet?
Anyone tinting their roof?
(order date 10/1/22, MSM/Black LR expecting delivery in May :( )
Just my opinion as this is discussed often. I've had M3 for 2 years in Adelaide (plenty 40c days) never felt need to tint roof or put shades up. Yes glass gets hot but never been issue. I tinted rear and side glass just keep colour consistent.

Was in Brisbane on the Northside. Caught a glimpse of the Midas. (The front one)

IMG_4093.JPG

I won’t tint the roof. I have been told side windows about $400.

I just bought the sun shades, hopefully that will do the trick. I’d rather a bit more sun coming in through the roof in winter lol.
I just go back from my 3rd test drive. Today in Perth it is 40 deg. In fact the Tesla was showing outside as 44. Specifically booked to day to see how hot the glass felt on a hot day. What I found is there was zero heat on me from the light or Infrared coming through the roof. But the actual glass was quite hot. On the drive home I put my hand up to my normal car windscreen it was still 40 deg outside, but the sun is not shining through the windscreen, the sun to the rear of the car. The windscreen felt the same kind of heat the actual glass was hot not the light coming in as the roof of the Tesla.

In the Tesla the aircon was on full fan and set to 16deg and it was not that cold in the car.

When driving through the streets in the tesla (untinted side windows ) the sun was fierce through the windscreen and side windows when it shone through on to you as expected on a hot sunny Perth day. So as like any car in Aus tinting will be required. But is it worth doing the roof and the fron and rear windscreens with the Clear ceramic?

So my 3 questions are:
1 will tinting the roof stop the Heat I know it will stop UV and IR but will it cut down on the actual heat radiating as the glass gets hot from being outside?

2 Is the Clear Ceramic film good for the windscreen worth is as it is mean to stop 95% UV and IR and that seems it would be great in any car

3 does the Tesla aircon cope with the extra heat coming in from the roof on hot days as it only seemed to get cool not cold?

Delivery date is mid march so want to book in for tinting as soon as I get a date $880 for everything

Attachments

• Tesla in 44c.JPG
    Tesla in 44c.JPG
    517 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I haven't come across anyone tinting the roof, I did the sides and rear window.
Since late December I've been using a roof shade with a silver lining (fitted in the pic below) and the a/c has been fine even when I've seen 50+degrees interior temps. If you're expecting it to get to Toyota arctic cold levels, it won't do it.

IMG_6181.jpg

I just go back from my 3rd test drive. Today in Perth it is 40 deg. In fact the Tesla was showing outside as 44. Specifically booked to day to see how hot the glass felt on a hot day. What I found is there was zero heat on me from the light or Infrared coming through the roof. But the actual glass was quite hot. On the drive home I put my hand up to my normal car windscreen it was still 40 deg outside, but the sun is not shining through the windscreen, the sun to the rear of the car. The windscreen felt the same kind of heat the actual glass was hot not the light coming in as the roof of the Tesla.

In the Tesla the aircon was on full fan and set to 16deg and it was not that cold in the car.

When driving through the streets in the tesla (untinted side windows ) the sun was fierce through the windscreen and side windows when it shone through on to you as expected on a hot sunny Perth day. So as like any car in Aus tinting will be required. But is it worth doing the roof and the fron and rear windscreens with the Clear ceramic?

So my 3 questions are:
1 will tinting the roof stop the Heat I know it will stop UV and IR but will it cut down on the actual heat radiating as the glass gets hot from being outside?

2 Is the Clear Ceramic film good for the windscreen worth is as it is mean to stop 95% UV and IR and that seems it would be great in any car

3 does the Tesla aircon cope with the extra heat coming in from the roof on hot days as it only seemed to get cool not cold?

Delivery date is mid march so want to book in for tinting as soon as I get a date $880 for everything
The tinting company that my leasing co uses will only do the side windows when my M3LR arrives. I have purchased roof a sun shade on ebay hoping that that will help with aircon draining too many kilometres on hot days, and a windscreen shade for parking. I expect this to be a trial and error approach.