Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on finance and my lowest quote is about $970 with a $3k excess and no windscreen or hire car so far. Probably taking GIO at this stage $1300 for platinum (with $1400 excess) - which includes both unlimited hire car and windscreen (but with this excess the windscreen is probably pretty useless)
I dont think windscreen claims use the excess ? up to a limit of 2x per year I believe. Could be wrong given tesla roof, but check it out.

Reactions: Kevsaccount
There are too many variables and it depends on each insurer.

You can find out yourself by how much by doing two online quotes, one with and one without finance.
I did several quotes with Poncho (Rollin') Insurance for a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

Finance or not, the cost was $145 per month = $1740 per year.

For kicks I did the same with the Performance, insurance was $200 per month = $2400 per year.

Very strangely, the base RWD model 3 came out at $158 per month = $1896 per year.

yes comparing to LRs reducing 22km of range. Ryzen is by far more efficient.
Unless Tesla had its test car already equipped with AMD's Ryzen when range testing, therefore producing 491KM WLTP
It makes absolutely no sense that a MCU chip can reduce range by 22km. Have you ever tried pushing a car in neutral? There's simply no way a chip can consume as much energy as it takes to push a car 22kms.

There is probably another reason for the range reduction and tesla is just using Ryzen as a cover for it to not upset customers.

Reactions: Benzz
It makes absolutely no sense that a MCU chip can reduce range by 22km. Have you ever tried pushing a car in neutral? There's simply no way a chip can consume as much energy as it takes to push a car 22kms.

There is probably another reason for the range reduction and tesla is just using Ryzen as a cover for it to not upset customers.
Perhaps the new 12v Li battery has something to do with it rather than the AMD chip. It could be draining NCA battery more than LFP or somehow they have to reduce usable battery on NCA (ie, more buffer)? Li battery might need temperature regulation more so than lead acid ones? Just my speculation

Last edited:
Perhaps the new 12v Li battery has something to do with it rather than the AMD chip. It could be draining NCA battery more than LFP or somehow they have to reduce usable battery on NCA (ie, more buffer)? Li battery might need temperature regulation more so than lead acid ones? Just my speculation
Yeh maybe. It's a mystery at this stage.

It may not be a LFP vs NCA difference either. The LFP range was revised recently and they may have accounted for the reduction already.

Getting closer :D

mid0602p.jpg

Insurance premiums have a lot to do with insured location, security, garaged etc and driver age and claim history.
I recently got an NRMA quote for a M3LR which came in at $598 with a $2000 excess and included glass protection.
Ive been using them for 8 years now so have a 12.5% loyalty and 60% discounts, zero accident history and I guess live in a safer, low theft location.
Agreed. I’m still confused though.
I’m over 40, never had any accidents, car will be kept in a garage, live in a very safe neighbourhood, been with them for over 20 years, have my home insurance with them, and I’m not using finanace.

I may call them to see what’s going on.

Last edited:
Agreed. Still confused though.
I’m over 40, never any accidents, car will be kept in a garage, live in a very safe neighbourhood, been with them for over 20 years and have my home insurance with them.
I may call them to see what’s going on.
It seems like a complete lottery. I have been driving for 29 years and had no reported accidents and live in reasonable area on the Sunshine Coast. Youi wanted $1450 even though I have 3 other insurance policies with them. Another two companies said similar, until I called NRMA and they gave me what seems a good deal; fully comp with unlimited rental car and windscreen cover and an excess of $800 for $660 annually.

I will be pulling all policies from Youi for being such twats. I am local to Youi, been with them for years and it seems they have no scruples, no claims bonus discount or loyalty scheme.

It is the day that my Midnight Silver Tesla LR finally gets to put its wheels on Aussie soil. It has been a long 3 months which will soon come to an end.
woo.jpg

Once the cars are unloaded and go through the customs import procedure then it will be a matter of finding out which car transport company will be used. As with them, you are able to track your car using the Vin number.

mid0702.jpg

Reactions: >fly-fish-:>
It seems like a complete lottery. I have been driving for 29 years and had no reported accidents and live in reasonable area on the Sunshine Coast. Youi wanted $1450 even though I have 3 other insurance policies with them. Another two companies said similar, until I called NRMA and they gave me what seems a good deal; fully comp with unlimited rental car and windscreen cover and an excess of $800 for $660 annually.

I will be pulling all policies from Youi for being such twats. I am local to Youi, been with them for years and it seems they have no scruples, no claims bonus discount or loyalty scheme.
You may not want to as Youi’s Home and Content policy premiums are very competitive. No doubt you’ll do some comparisons before you jump.

Reactions: TJTethla
When is the 'big one' leaving China borders?
I think my Rep was mistaken about the 'big one'. He originally said the two ships which were on their way had a much smaller number of Tesla's on them compared to 'the big one' which was coming. To my knowledge though it's only the Midas and Crystal which are coming for this quarter.

Since I had that discussion with the rep I have received a VIN and paid my invoice. My EDD is now showing as next week or the week after. So I'm guessing my car is on the Crystal.

I've reached out to the rep to find out exactly which ship my car is on and will post when I find out.

The cutoff for the Q1 Aus cars was apparently around the 20th of Dec.

Order: Model 3 LR, Red, White Interior
Date: 1/12/21
EDD: 13-27th Feb
VIN: Yes

Last edited:
Reactions: DanSyd
I think my Rep was mistaken about the 'big one'. He originally said the two ships which were on their way had a much smaller number of Tesla's on them compared to 'the big one' which was coming. To my knowledge though it's only the Midas and Crystal which are coming for this quarter.

Since I had that discussion with the rep I have received a VIN and paid my invoice. My EDD is now showing as next week or the week after. So I'm guessing my car is on the Crystal.

I've reached out to the rep to find out exactly which ship my car is on and will post when I find out.

The cutoff for the Q1 Aus cars was apparently around the 20th of Dec.

Order: Model 3 LR, Red, White Interior
Date: 1/12/21
EDD: 13-27th Jan
VIN: Yes
I'm Assuming Feb not Jan EDD

Reactions: Mosesvii