Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The earliest available date is 24/02, which I had selected without hesitation. I had spoken with my SA yesterday afternoon, he confirmed most of the M3's offloaded from Crystal are still waiting at PK to be picked up by trucks, including mine. Each truck can only carrier 6 M3's, so it'll take a while, also the unloading order from the ship impacts the truck pickup time of the M3. But once an M3 is loaded onto a truck bounded for 1 of the Sydney delivery centres, the buyer should receive the delivery SMS. He told me to expect the sms either today or the latest Monday. Did you talk to your SA?
Yes I contacted him today and was told I will receive sms next week (should have selected Alexandria for pick-up!)
Again congratulation and Glad that you are receiving Morning Crystal car in an early time so we know they are really pushing up the process!

Congrats!!

Surely there is an option to change this to what you want. Any other owners confirm if this is correct?
Getting that label off was one of the first things I did :) . It shows RWD has 556km range, which looks great on paper :p

Yes, can confirm it Ryzen. My car has build date of 9/1/22

Yes, very few and far between. Maybe around 1 out of every 10 cars there in the couple of rows of cars I saw there, just based on the M3P wheels.

Few other things I noted right after delivery:
  • FM Radio was 'hidden', so was Spotify, and it took me a few mins to figure out and enable it from the list of sources for audio/music.
  • It had software V11 installed
  • The cameras took around 30-40kms drive to calibrate during which I could not activate autopilot
  • The car is setup with the highest option (HOLD) for regen braking by default - so this might be a bit jarring if you are unfamiliar with driving a Tesla or regen braking
  • The navigation map does not show your car facing forward at all times (like on google maps). So it can be a little disorientating sometimes. The turn by turn directions next to the map helped though. I'm sure there is setting to change this, I have not checked yet.
  • As others have mentioned elsewhere on the forum, wifi reception on the car seems pretty bad. I had my wifi modem in a room next to the garage (about 10meters away), and still had trouble getting it to detect and connect to it.
hit the map orientation on the top of the screen

Reactions: Lilltoolate
Hi all,

Long time reader (3+ years) first time poster.

I’ve been lucky enough to own a Model 3 Performance for a little over a year and recently took delivery of a RWD Model 3. My brother also took delivery of one of a Shanghai built Model 3 Performance mid-2021 and we couldn’t be happier with the vehicles so I just want to say, to all of those that are waiting, rest assured the wait is worth it.

This will be a long-ish post and will likely be lost amongst but hopefully it’s useful for at least one person that finds this post, and is patient enough to read it.

I will break it down into a few steps for people and try to strike a balance between being informative and concise.

Ordering

Compared to ordering a car from a dealer I found the process of ordering from Tesla very simple.

I popped into my local Tesla store and had a look. My sales associate was new and admitted that at the time. I had no issue with this, as there were a few technical questions I threw at her that she wasn’t sure of. Compared to the Audi dealership I went into, the service at Tesla was a lot more friendly and (in my opinion) genuine, and the advisor apologise side not knowing answers and called a more experienced advisor who assisted with some of the technical questions but didn’t try to poach the sale or put the advisor down, it was much more of a team effort.

The Audi guy was a cookie cutter sales guy, and when I asked questions he either gave out information that was outright wrong, and when I told him I was cross-shopping a Tesla he took any opportunity to smear ‘the competition’.

While I couldn’t negotiate with Tesla, the deals offered by Audi were constantly shifting goalposts as I asked about different trade in and finance options. It was extremely hard to get a straight answer from them and just felt mucky, complicated and like no matter what I did I was always leaving something on the table.

I still test drive both the Audi and the Audi, but after some time behind the wheel with the Model 3 and the S5 Sportback I decided the Tesla was just a much better driving experience.

The Wait

If you’re reading this you’ve probably already taken the plunge, pulled the trigger, bitten the bullet, insert metaphor here.

As mentioned above, I’ve now ordered and taken delivery of two Model 3s so this is based on both my experience as well as my interpretation of 120+ pages of other customers experiences and insights into the process. There are certainly some assumptions and there will always be exceptions to ‘the rules’ but this is just a bit of what I think people should expect and what to try to avoid getting stressed about.

After placing an order, you will likely hear from your sales associate with some congratulations and guide on what to expect next and what you need to do in order to complete your order.
Once you’ve provided the necessary details and uploads in your account there’s not much else you need to do, unless you’re financing.

Finance/deposits/paying balance before delivery

If you are financing through Tesla, it may take a while to hear from your chosen provider. They seem to reach out to customers as vehicles get closer to being deliverable which makes sense, as applications are only valid for a certain number of days, however they will typically reach out with plenty of time to get everything sorted in time for delivery.

In the meantime it can’t hurt to get a copy of your home lease agreement or mortgage statement as well as keeping your most recent 3 months worth of payslips ready to send off when they ask for them.

Whether your paying cash outright, or paying a deposit with finance you should wait until your final invoice is issued from Tesla before making any payment. Here’s a bit of a summary guide

• Your final invoice will come sometime between a vehicle built being assigned to your order, and around a week prior to delivery
  • If you’re financing through Tesla, your chosen finance company will send through the details of your loan to Tesla and any deposit amount will be shown on the invoice
  • Payable balance and bank details will sometimes show up before an invoice is issued. If you see this, don’t stress, it’s a good sign as it means things are progressing nicely and you should be all teed up to receive an invoice shortly
  • Payment is only due 3 days prior to your delivery appointment, unless you’re getting home/work delivery using a third party vehicle freighter. If this is the case, pay 3 days before your vehicle is due for collection from Tesla. Again, your sales advisor should provide you ample time (a week or so) to make payment.
  • Tesla use a virtual account with Citibank, your account number will be the same as your RN number, without the ‘RN’ at the front of it. The BSB is a Citibank BSB which you can google for piece of mind if you like
  • You can make payment across several days if you have a limit, but it’s probably just easier for you and for Tesla if you call your bank and ask for a temporary limit increase.
  • Bank transfers should show in the details section of your Tesla account within 2-3 BUSINESS days of making the transfer. It also seems that Tesla now sends you an SMS confirmation once the payment hits their account
  • If you’re old school like me, you can also go into a bank branch and do an RTGS payment which should go through straight away. I did this recently and you get a receipt from your bank which can be handy if there’s any issues down the track. This still seemed to take around 24 hours to register with Tesla, or at least for the SMS to come through confirming, but if you want piece of mind and want to avoid calling your bank to up your limit or doing multiple transfers it’s a great way to ensure your money gets to Tesla ASAP.
  • Your invoice also contains your build date and VIN which can be used to get insurance set up prior to delivery without need to wait for your rego number, which Tesla usually won’t give out because they often don’t register until the day before or day of delivery.

VINs and ‘tracking’ delivery

While I can see that a lot of people want to know their VIN ASAP and know what ship their car is on this information is mostly useless unless you’re just super curious.

From what I can tell from my experience, as well as the thousands of comments made by others in this thread there’s a pretty simple formula to follow that could save everyone a little stress.

• Until a vehicle is assigned to your order you will see a delivery estimate in your account which is reflective of your order date and spec
  • Once a vehicle is built and assigned to your order this generally won’t change (with the exception of a few unfortunate LR and P customers recently)
  • You can search for your VIN in the source code on your account page
  • This VIN is more often than not your final VIN that you’ll receive, but may change from time to time or in some cases disappear completely. Neither is cause for concern
  • Within a week or two lf your ‘hidden VIN’ appearing, you should see the delivery estimate in your account change to a 10-14 day window
  • From analysis of other customers timelines as well as my own, this window is pretty accurate. Again it may shift around, moving forward and back.
  • My theory is that this is an automatically generated date based on when the ship is arriving at port, plus a contingency of a few days for unloading, processing, ground transport and final prep work by Tesla. With hundreds or even thousands of cars being reported as arriving on each ship, and Tesla not having control of port schedules, unloading order and how the vehicles are moved around at the port this makes the most sense, and explains why customers on the same shipment often have the same 10-14 day window.
  • Knowing which ship your car is on doesn’t really make much of a difference or give a more accurate indication of when you’ll receive your car within that window, as you and Tesla are ‘in the same boat’ as far as your influence over port activities go.
  • Once your estimate window approaches you will receive an SMS with a link to schedule your delivery appointment. You typically get the choice of a couple of times across 3 days.
  • From my experience, and others, attempting to pull forward or push this back is pretty futile, again, with a bit of understanding and context this makes sense. Anyone that’s been to a Tesla delivery location once vehicles start arriving can attest it’s basically like a delivery factory. Cars seem to come in endlessly, in fact, during my first delivery appointment 2 truckloads of Model 3s arrived and were quickly moved into a giant queue of cars that were promptly stripped of their protective wrapping, and I saw vehicles being shuffled along in and out of wash bays. From what I saw, there’s simply no feasible way to pull a car out of the queue and pull it forward, or any room to store it. During my appointment, the guy doing my handover explained that by late afternoon the delivery centre needed to be empty to make room for the next days deliveries.

Overall, I’ve found that the best approach to ‘the wait’ is to be patient, trust the delivery estimate window and not to panic as it’s in Tesla’s interest to let you know if anything you have or haven’t done is gonna stop you getting your car and them getting paid as soon as possible.

Basically just sit back, watch as many YouTube videos as you can and try not to worry or overthink as neither will get your car here any sooner.

If you want or need to order parts or accessories I’d recommend third party for a lot of it with the exception of the all weather floor and boot mats, and the wall charger.

The wall chargers seem to be very sporadic with their availability, rather than wait for them to be available I’d recommend just putting an order in and Tesla will let you know when they’re ready.

On that note, I actually got lazy after getting my wall connector and for the first 6 months of ownership just charged using the mobile charger that comes with the car as it easily covered my 45km a day commute. In hindsight I probably didn’t even need the wall charger, and could have saved myself around $2,000 in unit and install costs.

Anyway, if you’ve made it to the end I hope this helped in some way, shape or form and hope you enjoy your experience as much as I did, and continue to do.

Hi all,

I’ve been lucky enough to own a Model 3 Performance for a little over a year and recently took delivery of a RWD Model 3. My brother also took delivery of one of a Shanghai built Model 3 Performance mid-2021 and we couldn’t be happier with the vehicles so I just want to say, to all of those that are waiting, rest assured the wait is worth it.

This will be a long-ish post and will likely be lost amongst but hopefully it’s useful for at least one person that finds this post, and is patient enough to read it.

I will break it down into a few steps for people and try to strike a balance between being informative and concise.

Ordering

Compared to ordering a car from a dealer I found the process of ordering from Tesla very simple.

I popped into my local Tesla store and had a look. My sales associate was new and admitted that at the time. I had no issue with this, as there were a few technical questions I threw at her that she wasn’t sure of. Compared to the Audi dealership I went into, the service at Tesla was a lot more friendly and (in my opinion) genuine, and the advisor apologise side not knowing answers and called a more experienced advisor who assisted with some of the technical questions but didn’t try to poach the sale or put the advisor down, it was much more of a team effort.

The Audi guy was a cookie cutter sales guy, and when I asked questions he either gave out information that was outright wrong, and when I told him I was cross-shopping a Tesla he took any opportunity to smear ‘the competition’.

While I couldn’t negotiate with Tesla, the deals offered by Audi were constantly shifting goalposts as I asked about different trade in and finance options. It was extremely hard to get a straight answer from them and just felt mucky, complicated and like no matter what I did I was always leaving something on the table.

I still test drive both the Audi and the Audi, but after some time behind the wheel with the Model 3 and the S5 Sportback I decided the Tesla was just a much better driving experience.

The Wait

If you’re reading this you’ve probably already taken the plunge, pulled the trigger, bitten the bullet, insert metaphor here.

As mentioned above, I’ve now ordered and taken delivery of two Model 3s so this is based on both my experience as well as my interpretation of 120+ pages of other customers experiences and insights into the process. There are certainly some assumptions and there will always be exceptions to ‘the rules’ but this is just a bit of what I think people should expect and what to try to avoid getting stressed about.

After placing an order, you will likely hear from your sales associate with some congratulations and guide on what to expect next and what you need to do in order to complete your order.
Once you’ve provided the necessary details and uploads in your account there’s not much else you need to do, unless you’re financing.

If you are financing through Tesla, it may take a while to hear from your chosen provider. They seem to reach out to customers as vehicles get closer to being deliverable which makes sense, as applications are only valid for a certain number of days, however they will typically reach out with plenty of time to get everything sorted in time for delivery.

In the meantime it can’t hurt to get a copy of your home lease agreement or mortgage statement as well as keeping your most recent 3 months worth of payslips ready to send off when they ask for them.

Whether your paying cash outright, or paying a deposit with finance you should wait until your final invoice is issued from Tesla before making any payment. Here’s a bit of a summary guide

• Your final invoice will come sometime between a vehicle built being assigned to your order, and around a week prior to delivery
  • If you’re financing through Tesla, your chosen finance company will send through the details of your loan to Tesla and any deposit amount will be shown on the invoice
  • Payable balance and bank details will sometimes show up before an invoice is issued. If you see this, don’t stress, it’s a good sign as it means things are progressing nicely and you should be all teed up to receive an invoice shortly
  • Payment is only due 3 days prior to your delivery appointment, unless you’re getting home/work delivery using a third party vehicle freighter. If this is the case, pay 3 days before your vehicle is due for collection from Tesla. Again, your sales advisor should provide you ample time (a week or so) to make payment.
  • Tesla use a virtual account with Citibank, your account number will be the same as your RN number, without the ‘RN’ at the front of it. The BSB is a Citibank BSB which you can google for piece of mind if you like
  • You can make payment across several days if you have a limit, but it’s probably just easier for you and for Tesla if you call your bank and ask for a temporary limit increase.
  • Bank transfers should show in the details section of your Tesla account within 2-3 BUSINESS days of making the transfer. It also seems that Tesla now sends you an SMS confirmation once the payment hits their account
  • If you’re old school like me, you can also go into a bank branch and do an RTGS payment which should go through straight away. I did this recently and you get a receipt from your bank which can be handy if there’s any issues down the track. This still seemed to take around 24 hours to register with Tesla, or at least for the SMS to come through confirming, but if you want piece of mind and want to avoid calling your bank to up your limit or doing multiple transfers it’s a great way to ensure your money gets to Tesla ASAP.
  • Your invoice also contains your build date and VIN which can be used to get insurance set up prior to delivery without need to wait for your rego number, which Tesla usually won’t give out because they often don’t register until the day before or day of delivery.

While I can see that a lot of people want to know their VIN ASAP and know what ship their car is on this information is mostly useless unless you’re just super curious.

From what I can tell from my experience, as well as the thousands of comments made by others in this thread there’s a pretty simple formula to follow that could save everyone a little stress.

• Until a vehicle is assigned to your order you will see a delivery estimate in your account which is reflective of your order date and spec
  • Once a vehicle is built and assigned to your order this generally won’t change (with the exception of a few unfortunate LR and P customers recently)
  • This VIN is more often than not your final VIN that you’ll receive, but may change from time to time or in some cases disappear completely. Neither is cause for concern
  • Within a week or two lf your ‘hidden VIN’ appearing, you should see the delivery estimate in your account change to a 10-14 day window
  • From analysis of other customers timelines as well as my own, this window is pretty accurate. Again it may shift around, moving forward and back.
  • My theory is that this is an automatically generated date based on when the ship is arriving at port,plus a contingency of a few days for unloading, processing, ground transport and final prep work by Tesla. While your sales advisor may not know, or have access to logistics info, this information is likely in the back end somewhere. With hundreds or even thousands of cars being reported as arriving on each ship it’s very unlikely this field is manually managed by your, or any other sales person at Tesla. Combined with that, Tesla wouldn’t hve control of port schedules, unloading order and how the vehicles are moved around at the port this makes the most sense, and explains why customers on the same shipment often have the same 10-14 day window.
  • Knowing which ship your car is on doesn’t really make much of a difference or give a more accurate indication of when you’ll receive your car within that window, as you and Tesla are ‘in the same boat’ as far as your influence over port activities go.
  • Once your estimate window approaches you will receive an SMS with a link to schedule your delivery appointment. You typically get the choice of a couple of times across 3 days.
  • From my experience, and others, attempting to pull forward or push this back is pretty futile, again, with a bit of understanding and context this makes sense. Anyone that’s been to a Tesla delivery location once vehicles start arriving can attest it’s basically like a delivery factory. Cars seem to come in endlessly, in fact, during my first delivery appointment 2 truckloads of Model 3s arrived and were quickly moved into a giant queue of cars that were promptly stripped of their protective wrapping, and I saw vehicles being shuffled along in and out of wash bays. From what I saw, there’s simply no feasible way to pull a car out of the queue and pull it forward, or any room to store it. During my appointment, the guy doing my handover explained that by late afternoon the delivery centre needed to be empty to make room for the next days deliveries.

Overall, I’ve found that the best approach to ‘the wait’ is to be patient, trust the delivery estimate window and not to panic as it’s in Tesla’s interest to let you know if anything you have or haven’t done is gonna stop you getting your car and them getting paid as soon as possible.

Basically just sit back, watch as many YouTube videos as you can and try not to worry or overthink as neither will get your car here any sooner.

If you want or need to order parts or accessories I’d recommend third party for a lot of it with the exception of the all weather floor and boot mats, and the wall charger.

The wall chargers seem to be very sporadic with their availability, rather than wait for them to be available I’d recommend just putting an order in and Tesla will let you know when they’re ready.

On that note, I actually got lazy after getting my wall connector and for the first 6 months of ownership just charged using the mobile charger that comes with the car as it easily covered my 45km a day commute. In hindsight I probably didn’t even need the wall charger, and could have saved myself around $2,000 in unit and install costs.

Anyway, if you’ve made it to the end I hope this helped in some way, shape or form and hope you enjoy your experience as much as I did, and continue to do.

Hi all,

Ordering

The Wait

• My theory is that this is an automatically generated date based on when the ship is arriving at port,plus a contingency of a few days for unloading, processing, ground transport and final prep work by Tesla. While your sales advisor may not know, or have access to logistics info, this information is likely in the back end somewhere. With hundreds or even thousands of cars being reported as arriving on each ship it’s very unlikely this field is manually managed by your, or any other sales person at Tesla. Combined with that, Tesla wouldn’t hve control of port schedules, unloading order and how the vehicles are moved around at the port this makes the most sense, and explains why customers on the same shipment often have the same 10-14 day window.

Great summary, thank you.

Nice! How was your experience?

I rocked up 10min early and they were fine with letting me in the car. Was gone by 12:01 pm, then had yesterday off on annual to just drive around :)

How are you finding your car?
The pick up was fine once we got there. They gave us plenty of time and checked things over and got used to some of the technology. Unfortunately I only took 2 hours off to drive around so looking forward to the weekend.

The car is fantastic although you are better off asking my wife!

Reactions: Mosesvii and Benzz
Damn you ;-)

I'm now the soon to be owner of one of these faceplates - looks so nice!

Assuming you're in Canberra (from the delivery centre photo) can I ask who you used for the charger installation?

Cheers
Hey Cruiser, have a look at this thread:

Yes I contacted him today and was told I will receive sms next week (should have selected Alexandria for pick-up!)
Again congratulation and Glad that you are receiving Morning Crystal car in an early time so we know they are really pushing up the process!
My SA also shared that, the Alexandria centre still have some cars from the Midas ship to be delivered this week & into early next week, then Crystal deliveries will start mid-late next week. I think Chatswood centre may have more backlogs to be cleared from the Midas ship, so running a bit behind Alexandria maybe? But anyway you will get yours very soon for Fri/Sat delivery dates :)

Hi all.
New to this chat, just been following along for the last few weeks while we wait for our White LR (Black interior). After seeing many people commenting that some people have ‘missed the boat’ we checked in with Tesla today, who gave us the devastating news that we’re now not getting our car until May-ish.
OD: 1 Dec 21
Melbourne
No VIN, etc.
We’re devo, as we had a roadtrip planned for April with holidays booked and all.
😩

Reactions: ArdieLest
Yes, those are ADR81/02 stickers so they have to use numbers produced from the procedure documented in ADR81/02.

Which makes sense when you think about it, because the idea is that you're supposed to be able to cross-shop comparing the numbers on the stickers. ie don't take the numbers as gospel, but at least a car that says 550km should go further than one that says 450km.
Totally understand the need to have consistency with these but I also think it's about time they updated the standard to something that's more representative of real world use.

Noting that I'm happy just using the included wall charger (I don't need the Gen 3 wall charger)
Do some number crunching on when you think you'll need to charge and for how long. The UMC may be enough, or with the addition of a higher current tail up to 32A.

If you need a wall charger there doesn't seem to be much better value than the Gen 3 HPWC when you consider the built in protection.