Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jumping on after lurking for awhile following my Mid-Nov order of a RWD. I got delivery last Thursday in Mulgrave. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the acceleration as there were a few people asking about how it feels compared to the SR+. Well I did do a couple of test SR+ drives mid last year and there's no way I can tell the difference. I don't know what cars many of you have owned (I had a Forester so make of that what you will) but from that perspective this car is stupidly fast. Yes I know it's the "slow" one but I finally took it to a freeway yesterday and floored it for a few seconds - my heart was seriously pounding after it threw me into the back of my seat. Today I went back with the kids and had them screaming and laughing in the back seat every time I launched it. It's especially punchy once you are already moving. As Elon said, they don't make slow cars...

I don't know where this person got this info but if it's accurate then the new 2022 RWD (6.1s/100kmh) only loses out in the first 0-20km/h sprint so after it's rolling it's basically the same acceleration as the older more powerful 2021 SR+ (5.6s/100kmh)
*Australian posting on a German forum you will need your browser to translate.

That would also seem fairly consistent with the video evidence (already previously posted on TMC) in
It pulls away in the first part of the launch then stays about even.

Reactions: Benzz
I don't know where this person got this info but if it's accurate then the new 2022 RWD (6.1s/100kmh) only loses out in the first 0-20km/h sprint so after it's rolling it's basically the same acceleration as the older more powerful 2021 SR+ (5.6s/100kmh)

That would also seem fairly consistent with the video evidence (already previously posted on TMC) in
You will find similar results between Performance and LR, there is a couple YouTube videos on this.

Reactions: RedSky1

So the new one has about 0.5s lag once you punch it. It wouldn't be just below 20k/h, it will be from whatever speed you punch it from.

Kind of like turbo lag for an EV. But once it gets going, it's just as quick or even marginally quicker than the SR+

Hey all :)
I couldn't decide if this required it's own thread, or just ask the people the question is actually directed at.

Placed my order end of January for a Model 3 RWD in Melbourne Australia (Very excited)
I can't seem to get a straight answer on the sound system we get here.. The internet seems to suggest that we get the 8 speaker configuation with a few speakers disconnected, no sub, and no additional AMP.
I try to take the word of the internet with a grain of salt, so when I emailed tesla support through my account to see if there were any retrofit kits, I recieved the following response.

"Thanks for your enquiry. At the moment you cannot upgrade the sound system. Although, both options have 14 speakers, difference in the Long range is that there is a Subwoofer. You can look to maybe get one installed after delivery to make up for this. Super simple"

There's a fair chance the support agent is mis-informed, but also chance that this is accurate.
Found a few websites who sell the activation kits, but noticed that they don't make anything for the AMD based cars at yet.. They're all listed coming soon...

The website for AU lists "Upgraded audio – immersive sound" for the partial premium interior.
What do they mean by upgraded? Upgraded over what? Is that just marketing BS for "Base spec"?
Sometimes regional changes make getting accurate information difficult (Floormats are a good example)

Anybody able to confirm the number of functioning speakers, and better yet the number of speakers present that just aren't connected?

Thanks for your help guys :)
I am quite curious about the setup of the speakers as well, and will find out when my car arrives soon.

I noted that one of the differences between the two audio setups (at least what I could see), was amplifiers in the LR/P models. Given that the SR doesn't have separate amps, it probably suggests the speaker limit is due to power limitations from the mcu.

I would think that if the extra speakers were to be used, you would need to add the missing amp to enable them, not just cable or software changes.

*This is just my opinion, however

I am quite curious about the setup of the speakers as well, and will find out when my car arrives soon.

I noted that one of the differences between the two audio setups (at least what I could see), was amplifiers in the LR/P models. Given that the SR doesn't have separate amps, it probably suggests the speaker limit is due to power limitations from the mcu.

I would think that if the extra speakers were to be used, you would need to add the missing amp to enable them, not just cable or software changes.

*This is just my opinion, however
Check out this review on the 2021 standard models audio system. Wonder how the 2022 rwd differs from this. There's one less speaker I believe..

You will find similar results between Performance and LR, there is a couple YouTube videos on this.

So the new one has about 0.5s lag once you punch it. It wouldn't be just below 20k/h, it will be from whatever speed you punch it from.

Kind of like turbo lag for an EV. But once it gets going, it's just as quick or even marginally quicker than the SR+

I do agree it probably is limited in the power 'ramp up' and the variables are adjusted there though the 'lag' isn't so pronounced in the rolling test on that video above, he only got a car length in front before the other car was holding.

We know the 2022 RWD has a physically lower rated motor, but in short term peaks (like a 0-100 run) they could probably make it run as fast as the 2021 SR+ if they wanted and think it leaves open the door for a potential paid acceleration boost for the 2022 RWD. As we know the car drive electronics can handle the power and car is physically capable of being safe with 5.6s/100kph acceleration. Brilliant move by Tesla if so, acceleration boost is almost pure profit and many would do it.

The old 'performance' motor in the SR+ would be capable of more than it does as well... I know the one in USA the 3D1 performance motor some company had unlocked the 'ramp up' limitation by the looks:
https:// teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ingenext-boost-sr-module.229427/

jeez, the charging setup could drive me crazy
just dealing with electricians and suppliers about 3-phase upgrade + wall connector is hard enough
now I'm reading in this thread above, some posts about extra things I will need
is this likely to meet my needs - if not, what else?
and is it good value?

Check out this review on the 2021 standard models audio system. Wonder how the 2022 rwd differs from this. There's one less speaker I believe..

To my untrained ears, the current speaker set up still sounds great. Granted I have limited experience with other systems in similar price brackets but the current speakers are more than adequate for me

Reactions: Lockster
jeez, the charging setup could drive me crazy
just dealing with electricians and suppliers about 3-phase upgrade + wall connector is hard enough
now I'm reading in this thread above, some posts about extra things I will need
is this likely to meet my needs - if not, what else?
and is it good value?
As one of the posters recommended before, looking at plugshare to see whats around you will sort of help.
Check the plug types and the description/comments, most people will mention whether you need to BYO cable.

I would assume that the type 2 will become more and more common as more manufacturers bring out more electric cars here.
Otherwise, about half the places I have seen on plugshare(that I would normally go to) have Tesla wall chargers installed.

I bought my cable(same rating and length) for $250. So definitely shop around!

Reactions: Benzz and schnaxxl
It went quite smoothly. Completed application over the phone, sent a payslip and license over, then approved within 3 days of placing my Tesla order.
Same terms as you mentioned, no fees other than the 2.99% interest rate. It’s extremely cheap finance for a car, you’d be crazy to use cash IMHO.
Agree that 2.99% is very cheap for a car loan, specially with interest rates set to rise this year and over the next few years.

Putting the money into a long term investment would even more than pay for the car, for those with the discipline to let the returns compound year on year into the far future - and assuming WW3 doesn't break out.

Reactions: Cmoney991
Any recent 2022 M3 RWD please advise how many KMs are shown on screen when charged 100%. 2021 with 18 wheels no covera shows 420kms and 2021 with sport wheels shows 416
When you get your car the first setting change you should do is to change the battery charge from kms to percentage mode. It makes managing the battery charge simpler and reduces the mental load related to range.

When you get your car the first setting change you should do is to change the battery charge from kms to percentage mode. It makes managing the battery charge simpler and reduces the mental load related to range.
This concept confuses me greatly.

My understanding is:

All uses for the vehicle are calculated in km’s.
I.e. We don’t refer to distance between two points as a percentage as it provides no set reference. Percentage of what size battery for example. It’s meaningless without other data.

My last 5 cars have all displayed a km’s remaining figure on the dash, with no “range anxiety” being produced as a result.
Why does this figure upset some people?

Most importantly, it is my understanding that the car constantly updates the available range based on a bunch of variables such as previous driving style/consumption, charge capacity, battery health etc.

So, with the assumption that the above is correct, why would having a percentage of battery be superior?
If you were to do a trip and the car says 400kms remaining or 100%, what difference does it make?

For those suggesting to look at the consumption graph to calculate range, is that not exactly what the range calculation uses?

Hence my confusion!

Reactions: Rowanhs

My understanding is:

I.e. We don’t refer to distance between two points as a percentage as it provides no set reference. Percentage of what size battery for example. It’s meaningless without other data.

My last 5 cars have all displayed a km’s remaining figure on the dash, with no “range anxiety” being produced as a result.

Most importantly, it is my understanding that the car constantly updates the available range based on a bunch of variables such as previous driving style/consumption, charge capacity, battery health etc.

So, with the assumption that the above is correct, why would having a percentage of battery be superior?
If you were to do a trip and the car says 400kms remaining or 100%, what difference does it make?

For those suggesting to look at the consumption graph to calculate range, is that not exactly what the range calculation uses?

Hence my confusion!

I'm not sure what you mean about the figure upsetting people. I didn't use the words "Range Anxiety", you did. Before I attempt to answer your questions, let me just say that I'm totally ok with you disagreeing with me. If I just wanted to avoid people having different thoughts to mine, I wouldn't frequent forums. So in more than one way, YMMV.

Using percentage works in much the same way as your fuel gauge, it's just a more accurate energy remaining guide. By leaving it as a percentage, you're offloading the range calculations, as you've suggested, to the car. Whilst you're doing a trip, you use the nav to take care of the calculations such as range and whether to charge at the next supercharger.

My understanding is:

Hence my confusion!
I’m in your side! kms to me makes sense.
Sure it changes based on air con, lead foot and other factors.
However when I thought about it a bit more, the fuel gauge is actually in percentage, when it gets down to a 1/4 I then find I get range anxiety and that is just your normal ICE vehicle.

Then I reference the km read out.
I’m sure it’ll be the same with the Tesla, just different fuel consumption. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not sure what you mean about the figure upsetting people. I didn't use the words "Range Anxiety", you did. Before I attempt to answer your questions, let me just say that I'm totally ok with you disagreeing with me. If I just wanted to avoid people having different thoughts to mine, I wouldn't frequent forums. So in more than one way, YMMV.

Using percentage works in much the same way as your fuel gauge, it's just a more accurate energy remaining guide. By leaving it as a percentage, you're offloading the range calculations, as you've suggested, to the car. Whilst you're doing a trip, you use the nav to take care of the calculations such as range and whether to charge at the next supercharger.
To be clear, my post was not entirely directed to you, it was just your comment that it is “the first setting” one should change that prompted me to comment.

You are certainly not the only poster I have seen that insists that the percentage view is somehow superior.

I’m not trying to argue a point. I am genuinely confused as to how it’s better? Or why having km remaining wouldn’t be far more useful?

Certainly didn’t mean to upset anyone.