Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a recklessly optimistic statement and won't happen, but it's fun to think about: Imagine if the Morning Clara, arriving at Port Kembla tomorrow had a bunch of surprise Teslas on it. How many of our heads would immediately explode out of sheer excitement?
I thought there was a way to see if Teslas were on the ship? or is that only possible once people are allocated a VIN?

I thought there was a way to see if Teslas were on the ship? or is that only possible once people are allocated a VIN?
Yeah once a VIN is allocated you can probably get a consignment number or the VIN itself is a shipping reference or something and track it much like a parcel. Manifests would also be lodged with Customs or the ports. I think that's what Vedaprime teaches you to do for money. That's assuming the VIN allocation is done prior to shipping. But given we're currently in bizarro world, who knows what's happening with VIN allocation.

That said, i doubt there are any on the ship.

Reactions: Cmoney991
Ordered a blue RWD 2 weeks ago, so incredibly excited but now have to manage what can only be described as a mastering of patience for the 6-9 month wait.
In the meantime, I have been watching a YT channel called Ludicrous Feed which is incredibly informative. I'm quietly hoping the 6-9 months reduces a little with the reopening of the Giga Shanghai 🤞🏼

Reactions: Luddo and Avoz
I'm speculating that the usual allocation for the local market (china, especially Shanghai) for this quarter will be given to overseas markets. The locals can barely have the opportunity to get food, much less taking delivery of a car.

Also the port is closer to tesla factory than the rest of china is, less checkpoints, blockade and things.

Vehicles get shipped on RORO car carriers not containers. Different port altoghether. Not affected by the container shutdown.
Yep. 100%. Tesla ships from Luchao port right near the Tesla factory, not Shanghai port. The report about Shanghai container factory and the issue in the US is from weeks ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220428-212003_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220428-212003_Maps.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 90
Yep. 100%. Tesla ships from Luchao port right near the Tesla factory, not Shanghai port. The report about Shanghai container factory and the issue in the US is from weeks ago.
Yes, I used to think it was the main port, but the tesla port is just a 15min straight empty road to the port.

The RORO port is literally a long road/bridge that leads directly to the ships.

Yes, I used to think it was the main port, but the tesla port is just a 15min straight empty road to the port.

The RORO port is literally a long road/bridge that leads directly to the ships.

I always wonder when seeing footage like this why Tesla don't automate the driving of the cars to the holding area in the factory and onto ships. I guess maybe short drives form part of QA checking.

I always wonder when seeing footage like this why Tesla don't automate the driving of the cars to the holding area in the factory and onto ships. I guess maybe short drives form part of QA checking.
That was cool to see. I never realised how manpower intensive the loading of a RORO would be. That would be horrible to do, and take a bloody long time...and then you have to do it at the other end!

Reactions: Hoopyfrood
the Tesla account website is extremely slow this morning, is there any chance that they are allocating the VINs?
Mine usually holds a login for over a day but this morning keeps booting me out. Probably more likely to be some type of an update to the website generally or an outage somewhere because globally they would be allocating VINs in the system pretty consistently you would think (i.e. we're currently not getting VIN allocations because somewhere else in the world, they are).