Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! I am from Sydney and initially ordered my Model 3 LR White/White on 05/02/22, however i made some exterior colour changes but i finalised it by 16/02/22 and my delivery date still says 14-20 weeks on my account.

What's the go with shanghai and VIN allocation and/or approx. delivery date?

Any info will be helpful to me! Thanks :)

My RWD blue/white arrived today - so happy with my purchase. Can’t wait to take it out on the open road!

Checked thoroughly for panel gaps. Build quality these days is excellent. Custom plates, Sports wheels. So excited.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No issues with the seats at all yet, but I haven’t worn denim in them (no jeans that fit anymore 😜). I did treat them with Gyeon Q2 Leathershield, although I don’t think I applied the product very well anyway.
Thanks. Nor can I... Might have to banish any passengers wearing them to the dog hammock at the back 👍. Have already got some Gyeon Q2 Leathershield in my arsenal👍

They could be rushing to make up for lost time due to lockdowns?

But then again theyve always been rushing.
I don't doubt that, but they're running on ~30% capacity so I can't see it playing out. It'd be great if those that ordered late Q4 '21 are getting VINs allocated and getting cars on that boat but even that seems a stretch.
I'm guessing most of us that ordered in Jan/Feb will start getting VINs allocated around mid May, with some getting on the Clara and some on the Don Juan. Pure speculation based on no data or insight 😂

I don't doubt that, but they're running on ~30% capacity so I can't see it playing out. It'd be great if those that ordered late Q4 '21 are getting VINs allocated and getting cars on that boat but even that seems a stretch.
I'm guessing most of us that ordered in Jan/Feb will start getting VINs allocated around mid May, with some getting on the Clara and some on the Don Juan. Pure speculation based on no data or insight 😂
Prior to the lockdown they were running 3 shifts over 24 hours on a 4 days on, 2 days off schedule (96-120 production hours per week, minus shift change over and likely product changeover). Now they are running a single 12 hour shift on a 6 days on, 1 day off schedule (72 production hours with no shift changeover per week). That's not 30%. That's 60-75% of pre-lockdown production. The 12 hour shift info was from a week ago and there are reports of ramping from there. Plus Tesla may have production being picked up elsewhere.

Source: Tesla's Giga Shanghai Is Back To Ramping Production Quickly

Edit: It's also worth noting that taking this info into account, Aus production happening pre-lockdown at a specific time a month doesn't match this dynamic schedule. It was a moving target with a 4 day on, 2 day off schedule. They likely have sprints with a number of configurations assigned to each sprint.

Last edited:
Hey, when all these long awaited M3s arrive, what then will we have to worry/speculate about??
I can think of a few:

- When will Model Y be available?
- Should we upgrade from model 3 to model y
- When will my Model Y arrive?
- Should we upgrade from Model Y to Model X?
- When will my Model X arrive?
- Should we upgrade from Model X to Model X Plaid?

Repeat ad nauseam :p

Thought I would do an update 1 month after delivery - seeing a lot of new excited posts which is always great.

My previous post is here:
Australian Model 3 Waiting Room

Cant say I have had any major issues with the car - I have now noticed one side of the rear bumper panel that sticks out a little - but it honestly doesnt bother me.

Out of all the accessories I have ordered, I probably haven't used the sunshades(top and front). Its most likely because of the weather, it hasn't been too hot to really justify using them - also when the car IS hot, I've used the phone app to cool it down a bit just before getting into the car.

Charging and charging cables - I bought a type 2 to type 2 cable, at least around Great Western Sydney I haven't had to use it very often, there's enough units that supply their own cables. I've probably had to use the cable twice I think.
Downside to the charging units out there - there's also a lot more Tesla's on the road so snagging a destination charger is challenging(at times) particularly when most places only have 1 or 2 type 2 chargers. But these are all(mostly) free, so beggars can't be choosers.

Touchscreen thoughts - its not the best experience in my opinion. If it could swivel right out of the factory I think it would be a better user experience. Instead you sort of have to lean into the middle to use it which gets tiring quick(or may be Im just getting old) - not particularly entertaining if you're playing something like polytopia while charging.
Navigating the touchscreen(mainly for the radio or the music) is a little challenging while driving too - do not recommend, or at least keep those frequently used buttons set so you dont have to keep playing around with the screen to get to the radio or music on your phone.

Interior doors and scratches - my ones(particularly the back) are getting scratched with the kids getting in and out of the door
Will definitely recommend getting "stickers" or covers that will cover up the interior plastic. It's definitely soft, the top of my runners put a bit of a surface scratch in the front door which I can't rub off unfortunately.

Windows and door seals - all needed a bit of silicon spray to stop the squeaking.

Driving - Echoing what everyone else has said, the acceleration is something else. The RWD still gives you that "sports car" feeling when you accelerate. Of course, Ive also read that the LR/P is in a world of its own - so slightly envious of those other LR or P owners, but also not really.
This is a stock standard white Tesla and I have been tailed by cops for up to 10 minutes at least once a week so far.

Get ready to feel nauseous for everyone's first time(or first 2 or 3 times) at driving the car. Im usually the person who has their foot over the top of the brake in case of emergencies, but the Tesla you're almost always riding the accelerator.

The lane keeping is fine, although tries to keep the car bang in the middle of the lane, going around sharper corners at 80km isn't great. Car tends to swerve to the outside because.. physics.
The wider gaps in intersections arent handled very well unless there's a car somewhat immediately in front of you to follow.

TACC is ok, doesnt do too well when there's people swerving across 2 lanes in front of you to turn left or right.
Had may be one or two phantom braking events prior to the last update(just updated to 2022.12.3.1 as of writing) - haven't driven it enough in this last update to know whether it still is(most likely)

The longest drive Ive taken it is to Bowral(stopped off at Picton on the way) and back up on the Hume.
Could have done it on a single charge from 95% to approx 40%, however we stopped off at the UWS Campbelltown to charge as we were curious to see what it was like.

Prior to getting the car I watched this YT channel there is a review of the 2022 Australian P and RWD which really helped.
Also he's currently putting up videos of driving around regional NSW so definitely worth watching the key supercharging spots and calculations of travel cost and additional time.