Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly? 19 days is pretty much nothing compared to this here predicament. Plus several people below it stated that they had a fine experience. Could easily have been that this dude screwed up, never got his paperwork in order and pinned it on Polestar. And even when i bought my last car there were delivery issues once the car arrived. Same for the one before it with Ford. But at least the car was here and had even been built by the specified time. I.e. delivery was actually happening during the delivery window, albeit fraught. I would love if my current issue involved my Tesla being IN Australia.

That all said, my preference is still a Tesla but it's about how much abuse one can take before losing faith in the cult leader.
You took the words right outta my mouth...

Honestly? 19 days is pretty much nothing compared to this here predicament. Plus several people below it stated that they had a fine experience. Could easily have been that this dude screwed up, never got his paperwork in order and pinned it on Polestar. And even when i bought my last car there were delivery issues once the car arrived. Same for the one before it with Ford. But at least the car was here and had even been built by the specified time. I.e. delivery was actually happening during the delivery window, albeit fraught. I would love if my current issue involved my Tesla being IN Australia.

That all said, my preference is still a Tesla but it's about how much abuse one can take before losing faith in the cult leader.
Only you know what is best for you, but from what I have read and what I have heard, I do not think any car would come quicker unless it was a one off availability and beside I do not think you would be happy with another car instead of the Tesla. You have been waiting longer than me, but I am a car enthusiast while my mate is not and yet he has become one since getting the Tesla in the last batch. He loves driving it, has bought all the accessories and cleaning product etc. I know several people with Teslas and one lady who has a Model S, said she absolutely loves driving it. I have been to the BYD shop in Sydney and while they are nice vehicles, they are not for me. The Model Y is big, too big for me.

Others may say they’ll get a car by this time, but will they? From what I have seen EM just says things the way it is.

Last edited:
Since my car was built apron 26, I guess it wont
My thinking is that was they were demo cars originally destined to arrive in June, so why demo old tech?

Unless Tesla vision was never on the cards for Australia only a couple of months ago, surely Elon made this decision a while ago.

It doesn't bother me what I get personally, but it might give insight into how much thought the big man gives Australia

My thinking is that was they were demo cars originally destined to arrive in June, so why demo old tech?
Tesla doesn't do model years. The cars change in small ways most quarters.

The cars being delivered now are just a small batch (and a lot more than just demo vehicles) that got squeezed out around the Covid issues in April.

Next quarters production will be much larger.

4Q cars or 1Q23 cars might come with new higher resolution cameras.

Reactions: Hazygrunt
I've had enough phantom braking incidents that it does concern me. Driving along with nothing in front of you and the car suddenly hits the brakes is stressful both for the drivers and passengers. The number of false positives from TACC is the worst part of the car for me.

Reactions: Benzz
Only you know what is best for you, but from what I have read and what I have heard, I do not think any car would come quicker unless it was a one off availability and beside I do not think you would be happy with another car instead of the Tesla. You have been waiting longer than me, but I am a car enthusiast while my mate is not and yet he has become one since getting the Tesla in the last batch. He loves driving it, has bought all the accessories and cleaning product etc. I know several people with Teslas and one lady who has a Model S, said she absolutely loves driving it. I have been to the BYD shop in Sydney and while they are nice vehicles, they are not for me. The Model Y is big, too big for me.

Others may say they’ll get a car by this time, but will they? From what I have seen EM just says things the way it is.
I saw a Model Y while i was out to dinner last night and out of the Teslas, the 3 is the one for me for sure.

That said, each car has their pros and cons. As i say I prefer the Tesla for the tech but there are definitely elements of the Polestar i really like. I like the autopilot stuff with Tesla and like they have been doing it far longer and have a full EV design from the ground up. I think the Polestar has a far cooler and much more premium interior and that Android/Google computer is right up my alley. It's always been a knife edge between Polestar and Tesla for me. BYD and NIO are too much of a gamble for me in terms of a lack of history to go off.

I've had enough phantom braking incidents that it does concern me. Driving along with nothing in front of you and the car suddenly hits the brakes is stressful both for the drivers and passengers. The number of false positives from TACC is the worst part of the car for me.
I've seen online some of the US comments about phantom braking. Could you describe an example of the exact instance of one of your events (speed, number of lanes, type of road, traffic etc)? I used the adaptive cruise control a lot in my BMW including on single lane roads and only very rarely had any problems, usually as I was changing lanes or someone changing into my lane and it got a bit confused. So I would like to know what I should watch out for when I get my car (this week maybe). Have you noticed any less phantom braking since recent over the air updates?

For NSW orders, I read that there is a limit of one $3000 rebate per individual. But there does not appear to be a similar limit on the stamp duty exemptions. Does that mean I can:
- claim the rebate and stamp duty exemption for a Model 3 RWD;
AND
- claim the stamp duty exemption for a Model Y RWD?

I ordered my 3 in January and now expecting delivery Aug-Nov. I ordered the Y on Friday and also expecting delivery Aug-Nov. I think I'm going to keep the Y and sell the 3 but I'm not 100% sure.

EM said that Tesla vision is an improvement, I don’t know in what way. I think it is something to do with Tesla not being able to sort it quickly enough.
In no way. I'm 100% sure all teslas "autopilot" share the same machine learning database, but the ones with radar are less likely to throw you under the truck or do a false positive breaking as radar provides an additional dimension of data that cameras are unable to provide. Probably the reason is the price. Radar is an extra expense.

For NSW orders, I read that there is a limit of one $3000 rebate per individual. But there does not appear to be a similar limit on the stamp duty exemptions. Does that mean I can:
- claim the rebate and stamp duty exemption for a Model 3 RWD;
AND
- claim the stamp duty exemption for a Model Y RWD?

I ordered my 3 in January and now expecting delivery Aug-Nov. I ordered the Y on Friday and also expecting delivery Aug-Nov. I think I'm going to keep the Y and sell the 3 but I'm not 100% sure.
Might mean that you can claim for both on a Model 3 RWD and your partner can claim for both on a Model Y RWD ??

In no way. I'm 100% sure all teslas "autopilot" share the same machine learning database, but the ones with radar are less likely to throw you under the truck or do a false positive breaking as radar provides an additional dimension of data that cameras are unable to provide. Probably the reason is the price. Radar is an extra expense.
Likely due to simplification.
One signal tells you A, the other signal tells you B which do you believe? If its the safest outcome then you still get phantom breaking. If not ...

Planes have a similar problem with pitot tubes for the airspeed indicators. If they have one and it fails to some level then airspeed is indicated incorrectly which can lead to crashes. If they have two and one fails to some level then what do you believe? Are you doing 200 knots or 95 knots? Do you now get a 3rd so its a 2v1 voting system?

So I'd guess its simplification based on what instrumentation they need on the car for other things (like AP / FSD).

For those getting a car this month in Perth, apparently the cars will be picked up from Melbourne by the TOREADOR ship. Currently on it's way into PK. This will include the MY demonstrators