Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my SA about mounting my personalised plates (NSW - Chatswood delivery) and he said they don't do this. You have to swap them yourself after delivery. The only time they will do it is if your trade-in has plates to be transferred. They will do that for you in that case. I've heard from people in Brisbane that Tesla there does mount personalised plates. So go figure.
It probably differs with each states rules and regulations, unfortunately.

Reactions: zarbs
I asked my SA about mounting my personalised plates (NSW - Chatswood delivery) and he said they don't do this. You have to swap them yourself after delivery. The only time they will do it is if your trade-in has plates to be transferred. They will do that for you in that case. I've heard from people in Brisbane that Tesla there does mount personalised plates. So go figure.
Their mindset is to have the car in the delivery centre for as short as possible in order to get through all of the deliveries, so I'm not surprised that they're not willing to accommodate you. As you get closer to delivery you should try to count the number of times that Tesla informs you that the delivery pick-up time frame is only 10 minutes.

If they really try to rush you out of Chatswood, just honk the horn lots of times in the underground car park, they love it! ;)

Seems I'm the only one who found your comment a bit judgy.

Why would you assume that people rethinking their purchase are doing so solely due to the increased interest rate on car finance??

Everyone's circumstances are different, but I think it's more likely that they are looking at the big picture and considering the cumulative, long term effects of inflation, increased cost of living (mortgage/rent, groceries, utilities, insurances) as well as potentially allowing for reduced wages if they've exceeded their sick leave entitlements or if there is job uncertainty. Particularly if they have a family to support.

Rethinking their Tesla purchase may not actually be about the car interest rate rise at all, but recognising that buying a Tesla is more of a *want* than a *need*, and deciding it's better to wait until rates and inflation have stabilised.

I actually think that's really smart.
I agree.
Rate is 5.99 now 🐿 -it’s one factor (one of the larger). The more it goes up, the more deposit I should tip in to counter it.. but that pulls cash from my mortgage (is car equity better than a mortgage buffer?)
My OD was end of April.. faced with a long wait and known unknowns, I tell people I’ve ordered a Tesla, not bought a Tesla.
When it comes time, I really want to make this happen but if I have to walk away from $350 I will .. saying that and doing that are two different things though 😂😬

I know it's a commercial world and all that, but really, after spending A$70k (or thereabouts) and waiting 6-months for the big day, they give you 10 minutes to accept the car an be on your way. Seems a bit ... errr ... rushed!
Completely agree. The entire Telsa ordering experience is like buying a mobile online from your least worst Telco.

You basically have 10 minutes to check the car (luckily the quality in the Shanghai plant is good) and ask any questions of the SA. Depending on the SA doing delivery they will let you stay in the car to configure things for as long as you want.

Reactions: Ib38
As you get closer to delivery you should try to count the number of times that Tesla informs you that the delivery pick-up time frame is only 10 minutes.
Surely that cannot be enforceable. For a purchase of this cost and importance, I will take as long as I want to inspect before taking possession. It is not like they will fix a problem overlooked because they pushed the vehicle on you, without allowing you to do due diligence inspection before accepting possession. So they can bloody well wait for me to perform my due diligence inspection.

Though I am not a lawyer... as they say.

So I got a call from Tesla today and figured out why I cant see my VIN, and dont yet have my invoice. I suppose this may apply to anyone else in similar circumstances so worth noting.

My finance has a condition related to the sale of my current Tesla, both loans are through Macquarie. So basically I need to sell my car to have the condition met and the finance fully approved

Surely that cannot be enforceable. For a purchase of this cost and importance, I will take as long as I want to inspect before taking possession. It is not like they will fix a problem overlooked because they pushed the vehicle on you, without allowing you to do due diligence inspection before accepting possession. So they can bloody well wait for me to perform my due diligence inspection.

Though I am not a lawyer... as they say.
When I picked mine up in Brisbane, they gave me as long as I wanted to inspect the car.
I had an app on the phone that listed all the things I should check, which I did.

When I ordered, the rego docs Tesla supplied asked if I had personal plates (which I did). I filled in all the forms required, dropped the plates into the Brisbane showroom, and when I picked the car up from Hendra, they were fitted, and had number plate covers already on them.

Brisbane delivery team FTW

Attachments

• DFD184D5-B69E-43FA-839A-81BD09CD46D0.jpeg
    DFD184D5-B69E-43FA-839A-81BD09CD46D0.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 322BDB0D-94D4-4C07-A942-7901E87B8CAD.jpeg
    322BDB0D-94D4-4C07-A942-7901E87B8CAD.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 33
I know it's a commercial world and all that, but really, after spending A$70k (or thereabouts) and waiting 6-months for the big day, they give you 10 minutes to accept the car an be on your way. Seems a bit ... errr ... rushed!
They schedule a 10 minute pickup block, but you can take as long as you need. Including a thorough inspection. One tip….do not sign for your Tesla first. Always ask to inspect the vehicle first, as that way, if something seems to be a major issue, you have not taken delivery and you can reject it. Once you sign, you have accepted delivery and it cannot be reversed without legal action. They will attempt to fix it, instead of a replacement. Have been burnt once before and it was a nightmare to say the least. This doesn’t just go for Tesla but for any manufacturer. They do it deliberately for try and protect themselves.

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks!

One tip….do not sign for your Tesla first. Always ask to inspect the vehicle first, as that way, if something seems to be a major issue, you have not taken delivery and you can reject it. Once you sign, you have accepted delivery and it cannot be reversed without legal action. They will attempt to fix it, instead of a replacement.
This has been discussed multiple times before, and I can't recall anyone actually pulling off the not signing first trick. If you decide to reject your car, are you ok with a) Tesla having your $, and b) rejoining the queue for another car?

What was the issue with your previous car that they stuffed you around with?

This has been discussed multiple times before, and I can't recall anyone actually pulling off the not signing first trick. If you decide to reject your car, are you ok with a) Tesla having your $, and b) rejoining the queue for another car?

What was the issue with your previous car that they stuffed you around with?
I can assure you that it is your right as a consumer to inspect your vehicle before signing. It is a case of knowing your rights and standing your ground.
My vehicle had been damaged on a side panel and filled and repainted. The rim was also damaged and repainted. All this was repaired by a professional spray repair company and it is not unheard of with new vehicle deliveries. They get the odd knock, scrap during transport and many new vehicles are repaired before delivery. Not uncommon. Some major and some minor. I used my iPhone torch and shone it down the side of the vehicle and could see this slight wave/ripple effect from being filled. Then I looked further and noticed the rim had been touched up. At a glance everything looked perfect. Unfortunately, I had already signed, despite asking for the signed contract to be returned to me.
I engaged a repairer for an independent review, who highlighted the extent of the damage. They remarked that the vehicle must have hit a 900mm high bollard during transport, due to their experience and damage.
The eye opener was when he showed me several range rovers and Porsches, which were brand new and yet to be delivered, in his warehouse with panel and paint which needed repairing, prior to delivery to the customer.
Short story I engaged department of fair trading and a lawyer and it took 6 weeks to get a full buy back. I also went through a buy back, when I lived in the USA, but it was so much easier as they have a lemon law, slightly different in each state. All part of the learning experience of life.
After 11 further new car deliveries, I have always demanded to inspect the vehicle first and it has always been granted and rightly so, as it is your right.
Just passing on what I have learnt over the years and I can only stress the importance of inspecting before signing. If it means I rejoin the queue, after receiving a refund then it’s not the end of world. You must be satisfied as a customer before signing and accepting delivery.
Happy to post in 2 weeks time, after I receive my M3P.

Last edited: