Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still debating a wall connector. If anyone has any reviews on Tesla vs other brands. Would love to get some feedback.
So I've gone with the extra cost of a Zappi to hopefully make exclusive use of my solar panels (6kW), but it's also a basic 7kW charger, or it can do a combination of grid and solar. I got the tethered one cos I don't want to play with cables and if we do end up upgrading the Camry to a MY, it will be the same charger anyway. It is significantly more expensive, but it's the route I settled on. :)

I think they've used my recent purchase money to upgrade their website recently. :p

Reactions: AdeInMelbs
Does anyone know how the ZEV rebate in WA works? Does limit depend on the cost of the vehicle excluding GST, including GST or the driveaway price?
I'm pretty sure the EV rebate is based on the dutiable value of the car (the base price of the car + accessories/upgrades + delivery and order fees + GST.

So in WA, the above would need to total $70,000 or less to qualify

Reactions: danwale
I'm pretty sure the EV rebate is based on the dutiable value of the car (the base price of the car + accessories/upgrades + delivery and order fees + GST.

So in WA, the above would need to total $70,000 or less to qualify
Drat, I couldn't work out the definition of dutiable value and assumed it was purely the base price of the car. Got excited for a moment thinking I qualified 😩

So I've gone with the extra cost of a Zappi to hopefully make exclusive use of my solar panels (6kW), but it's also a basic 7kW charger, or it can do a combination of grid and solar. I got the tethered one cos I don't want to play with cables and if we do end up upgrading the Camry to a MY, it will be the same charger anyway. It is significantly more expensive, but it's the route I settled on. :)

I think they've used my recent purchase money to upgrade their website recently. :p

I also got a Zappi with my solar install. Obviously yet to try it out, but one thing I've since realised is that it doesn't come with the button to open the car charge port/release the cable, that the Tesla chargers will... so will require phone faffing.

Still debating a wall connector. If anyone has any reviews on Tesla vs other brands. Would love to get some feedback.
I'm a late-February orderer, and had the gen 3 wall connector installed last week. Posted to the Facebook Tesla groups if there were any local car owners who might like to help me test the installation. I wanted to see if it would go to full 32A power delivery, and, you know, work, without blowing up my house or something. Someone kindly popped over this morning with their 18 month old Model 3 RWD - the car was one of the first off the Shanghai production line, apparently.

My take on the wall connector is as follows:
  • Perfect for minimal effort charging - it doesn't require all the faffing around that you'd endure with the universal mobile connector (UMC)
  • I think the wall connector is safer than the UMC, particularly for continued use - the plug is designed to provide a secure connection for high current delivery; on the other hand, plugging and unplugging something to a standard wall plug, like you would every couple of days with the UMC, may cause wear and tear over time
  • I like that I can get a full charge in about 8 hours - although I understand the reasoning some come to that they can live with the slower 10A available from the UMC + standard wall plug
  • You take the plug, press the button near the Tesla's butt hole, and the Tesla opens it up - this required no pre configuration, the guy just drove his Model 3 up and it all "just worked"
  • After it's plugged in, the car locks the plug to the charging port, and the touch screen goes in to charging mode showing the battery info (see photo below)
  • The car took seconds to ramp up to full 32A power delivery
  • To stop charging / unplug, hold the button on the plug for a few seconds and you hear a click, the plug is unlocked and holding the button down you can pull the plug from the charging port
Although it's internet connected, you don't get any information from the wall connector itself. If you browse to the wall connector's IP address on your WIFI network, all you get is a basic screen with the wall connector's serial number.

You can go into "commissioning mode", by turning it off and on with an upstream isolation switch, or by holding the plug button down for a period of time. Commissioning mode lets you:
  • Configure the WIFI
  • Specify whether you want to restrict the connector to specific Tesla cars, all Tesla cars, or all cars
  • Change the maximum power delivery (which your electrician should specify when they install)
  • Update the wall connector's firmware
All-in-all I see the wall connector is designed just to sit there as an appliance ready to charge your car. There's talk about future firmware updates offering new features, but no one know what the features will be. Perhaps monitoring, but who knows?

My understanding is you can tell the car to schedule recharging at different times e.g. if you have peak / off peak tarriffs with your electricity company.

IMG_2507.jpg

Last edited:
Until then, I have a lovely set of mudflaps, roof sunshade, and other random accessories waiting. I got way too eager in May! 🤣. Still debating a wall connector. If anyone has any reviews on Tesla vs other brands. Would love to get some feedback.
Other random accessories? I spent over 4.5k on things for my tesla in the last 6 months. The only thing I don't have is a tesla.....

Much like the Model Y thread, it looks like VIN assignments have stopped? So no hope of any new VIN's on Morning Crystal?

Which means Paganella and Morning Clara are our last hopes for Q3 shipments.
Interestingly they are both departing on the same day: 19th of August.

Maybe Tesla are doing a big double batch for Australia before they cut over to domestic production to finish off the rest of the quarter?

Guess we will find out in 3 - 4 weeks time.

I'm a late-February orderer, and had the gen 3 wall connector installed last week. Posted to the Facebook Tesla groups if there were any local car owners who might like to help me test the installation. I wanted to see if it would go to full 32A power delivery, and, you know, work, without blowing up my house or something. Someone kindly popped over this morning with their 18 month old Model 3 RWD - the car was one of the first off the Shanghai production line, apparently.

My take on the wall connector is as follows:
  • Perfect for minimal effort charging - it doesn't require all the faffing around that you'd endure with the universal mobile connector (UMC)
  • I think the wall connector is safer than the UMC, particularly for continued use - the plug is designed to provide a secure connection for high current delivery; on the other hand, plugging and unplugging something to a standard wall plug, like you would every couple of days with the UMC, may cause wear and tear over time
  • I like that I can get a full charge in about 8 hours - although I understand the reasoning some come to that they can live with the slower 10A available from the UMC + standard wall plug
  • You take the plug, press the button near the Tesla's butt hole, and the Tesla opens it up - this required no pre configuration, the guy just drove his Model 3 up and it all "just worked"
  • After it's plugged in, the car locks the plug to the charging port, and the touch screen goes in to charging mode showing the battery info (see photo below)
  • The car took seconds to ramp up to full 32A power delivery
  • To stop charging / unplug, hold the button on the plug for a few seconds and you hear a click, the plug is unlocked and holding the button down you can pull the plug from the charging port
Although it's internet connected, you don't get any information from the wall connector itself. If you browse to the wall connector's IP address on your WIFI network, all you get is a basic screen with the wall connector's serial number.

You can go into "commissioning mode", by turning it off and on with an upstream isolation switch, or by holding the plug button down for a period of time. Commissioning mode lets you:
  • Configure the WIFI
  • Specify whether you want to restrict the connector to specific Tesla cars, all Tesla cars, or all cars
  • Change the maximum power delivery (which your electrician should specify when they install)
  • Update the wall connector's firmware
All-in-all I see the wall connector is designed just to sit there as an appliance ready to charge your car. There's talk about future firmware updates offering new features, but no one know what the features will be. Perhaps monitoring, but who knows?

My understanding is you can tell the car to schedule recharging at different times e.g. if you have peak / off peak tarriffs with your electricity company.

View attachment 832202
Nice, its my understanding that you will be able to add the charger to the mobile app at some point soon(tm). UK market has this already.