Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked her up. There was a prominent rattle in the driver door over bumps but it settled right down in the 15 minutes it took to get back to my home office to work. They allow 2 days to report any delivery defects. She came with the mobile connector with two plug tails.
Congrats , re the rattle , i saw in one video that Aero wheel cover was loose on one of the wheel hence was making noise , check that may be the case

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: *Sparkles*
This thread could be useful, Sparkles:

In particular: “Inside the door panels we have multiple clips that are loose inside of the housing the rest. My fix was to wrap the connection in electrical tape which made the fit snug.”

"So once you remove the panel off, the clips hold the wires that run all inside the door panel. Throughout the door to hold the connections in place Tesla placed clips that hold the connectors. Those clips maintain the connectors in place but the connectors move due to the amount of play. The fix is to wrap the connectors with electrical tape so when you put it back onto the clip it’s nice and snug and with the electrical tape that removes any contact points. That’s a common issue with how Tesla puts the cars together. It’s not just where the wires go onto clips it’s where the trim snaps into place those clips are loose and cause rattles throughout the car.”

Might be a good starting point anyway.

LFP:
  • Gravimetric energy density > Up to 160 Wh/kg[1] (580 J/g).
LMFP:
  • Gravimetric energy density > 230Wh/kg
In addition, CATL highlighted there's almost NO material cost difference between the two. From their papers, I think even the formula is quite similar to LFP. I'd speculate Tesla will likely replace the entire RWD line with LMFP battery packs, if production volume allows.
Can this new type of battery be charged to 100% all the time as well?

Can this new type of battery be charged to 100% all the time as well?
There hasn't been too much mentioning about this but LMFP has fewer cycles (approx 500 - 1000 cycles) than LFP therefore I think should be charged to no more than 90% only on daily basis.

The cycle performance of the LMFP battery is somewhat similar to the NCA battery. Still respectable and will give you 200,000 to 300,000 km milage.

As an “upgraded version” of LFP, LMFP inherits the advantages of low cost, high thermal stability, and high safety of LFP, and makes up for its shortcomings such as low energy density and poor low temperature stability, but LMFP also has electrical conductivity and rate performance. and poor cycle performance.

My understanding is that charging to 100% is still detrimental to LFP, but because of the increased cycle life it's minimal for most users.

But the problem with LFP is that the voltage is fairly constant over the charge curve, so if you only charge say 20-80% then the BMS will quickly become inaccurate. So the recommendation to charge to 100% regularly is in order to keep the BMS calculations correct, at the trade off of some detriment to the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Lachlan Smith
My understanding is that charging to 100% is still detrimental to LFP, but because of the increased cycle life it's minimal for most users.

But the problem with LFP is that the voltage is fairly constant over the charge curve, so if you only charge say 20-80% then the BMS will quickly become inaccurate. So the recommendation to charge to 100% regularly is in order to keep the BMS calculations correct, at the trade off of some detriment to the battery.
If you want to geek out on LFP chemistry vs NCA this is a great video.

Reactions: moa999
There hasn't been too much mentioning about this but LMFP has fewer cycles (approx 500 - 1000 cycles) than LFP therefore I think should be charged to no more than 90% only on daily basis.

The cycle performance of the LMFP battery is somewhat similar to the NCA battery. Still respectable and will give you 200,000 to 300,000 km milage.
That's disappointing.
I was under the impression the nikel and the LFP batteries were both rated for significantly more than that (as in, in the "Outlast the car" territory.) Honestly this significantly changes the value proposition of the car to me. I anticipate buying this vehicle and running it into the ground. I want that to be over well over 10 years, and I anticipate I'll hit 15k KMs per year no problem. (also I have a Y on order thats supposed to be delivered Feb next year, which is why im concerned).

That's disappointing.
I was under the impression the nikel and the LFP batteries were both rated for significantly more than that (as in, in the "Outlast the car" territory.) Honestly this significantly changes the value proposition of the car to me. I anticipate buying this vehicle and running it into the ground. I want that to be over well over 10 years, and I anticipate I'll hit 15k KMs per year no problem. (also I have a Y on order thats supposed to be delivered Feb next year, which is why im concerned).
The battery warranty will cover you for 8 years or 192000 km.
It doesn’t just do at that point. The range just degrades a little

Attachments

• BE5F971E-B61F-4522-9DE0-449A08EE80A5.jpeg
    BE5F971E-B61F-4522-9DE0-449A08EE80A5.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 51
This thread could be useful, Sparkles:

In particular: “Inside the door panels we have multiple clips that are loose inside of the housing the rest. My fix was to wrap the connection in electrical tape which made the fit snug.”

"So once you remove the panel off, the clips hold the wires that run all inside the door panel. Throughout the door to hold the connections in place Tesla placed clips that hold the connectors. Those clips maintain the connectors in place but the connectors move due to the amount of play. The fix is to wrap the connectors with electrical tape so when you put it back onto the clip it’s nice and snug and with the electrical tape that removes any contact points. That’s a common issue with how Tesla puts the cars together. It’s not just where the wires go onto clips it’s where the trim snaps into place those clips are loose and cause rattles throughout the car.”

Might be a good starting point anyway.
Thanks, @NoTimeToLose, but it’s not my car that has the rattle … I‘ve ordered two, but neither has arrived lol 🙂

If mine does come with a rattle, I don’t think I can be trusted to take care of it… see below… 😋

1659594636779.jpeg

That's disappointing.
500-1000 cycles will give you 200k - 400k KMS in total.

Reactions: Lachlan Smith
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.
What is the importance of having the Tesla wall charger installed by an electrician with experience with installing them, as opposed to someone without experience?
I recall seeing it mentioned a few times but don't know why it's important. I am wanting them to also inspect/install a bathroom exhaust fan, so one electron to do both would be ideal.
A simple and "dumbed down" answer would be appreciated 😁

• Funny
Reactions: *Sparkles*