Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of newcomers who are unfamiliar with the "Tesla delivery process". I thought I'd document what I've learnt over the last 9 months of waiting. I hope this helps people avoid having to read 700+ pages :)
  1. Customer order is placed
    1. Tesla account and order page are provisioned (your RN number is your order)
    2. SMS received "Hi $PERSON, Welcome to the Tesla Family!"
    3. EDD on the order page shows "6 to 9 months" or some month range "Aug-Nov 2022"
  2. Order is prepped in Tesla systems
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your registration document is now ready to complete"
  3. Tesla builds quarterly, so now you must wait for the next quarterly build
    1. Note: build schedule is decided by Tesla manufacturing planners, inventory is not build-to-order
  4. Every vehicle receives a VIN once it physically exists
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Final Invoice is now available"
    2. You will now see a final invoice on your order page
  5. VINs are assigned to customer orders (e.g. a VIN is matched to your RN number), this seems to occur while vehicles are waiting to be shipped
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: A Model 3 has been assigned to your order."
    2. You can now find the VIN in your order page (if it didn't appear already), or the API: https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/oxp-bff-api/user-orders
  6. Now you wait while the vehicles are shipped to their port of entry
    1. Vedaprime etc. can help with tracking the shipments
    2. EDD is now narrowed down to a date range (e.g. 7-22 September)
  7. Vehicles are unloaded at port of entry, clear customs, and are entered into the RAV database
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Model 3 delivery is approaching"
    2. You can now find your vehicle by looking up the VIN in the RAV database: Register of Approved Vehicles Search - My ASP.NET Application
  8. Vehicles are scheduled for transport to customer delivery location
    1. EDD may keep adjusting slightly according to transport schedule and other contingencies
    2. Once a firm date exists, you get the final SMS: "Your Model 3 is ready to be scheduled for delivery!"
    3. For me, it took two business days between the "delivery approaching" and "ready for delivery" messages
  9. Now you use the Tesla link to select a pickup date and time :)
You my friend are doing gods work… if only someone would do this on the fb pages lol

Reactions: Magnatron
Yeah. "reach out soon" was on my account in February in relation to invoice.
Its there again for my inquiry about Powerwall - three months ago.
Someone in Tesla need to discover what the word "soon" means
You're not wrong. The "we will reach out with your invoice shortly" message on my order page was there for 7 months before I received it.😂
However given my car is already in Perth I'd hope that I won't have to wait too long before it's in my hands.

I did a test drive of the y on Monday. Its bigger, but really didn't like it, it's also noticeably slower for the RWD. The 0.8 seconds difference is quite noticeable.

Don't get why the Y is so popular beyond cargo space.
I have both a 3 and a Y ordered, and I'm trying to decide between them.

Speaking as someone who has teenagers to lug around and a couple of big dogs, cargo space is a really big deal!

I much prefer the acceleration and handling of the 3, but honestly, not sure how well it'll hold up with the day to day running around of kids (and sometimes the dogs).

I refuse to pay $$$ for a Y performance, but am quietly hoping they announce the long range Y

Speaking as someone who has teenagers to lug around and a couple of big dogs, cargo space is a really big deal!

I much prefer the acceleration and handling of the 3, but honestly, not sure how well it'll hold up with the day to day running around of kids (and sometimes the dogs).

I refuse to pay $$$ for a Y performance, but am quietly hoping they announce the long range Y
Y LR is the pefect model, im sure it will come to Australia just a question of how long.

Checked the VIN source code page early this morning (as I have done nearly daily for the last few weeks now) and nothing.

And now I've just received the "Review Your Model 3 invoice" email! Lo and behold, I now have a VIN!

...... And now it's the MY I really want. So with the heaviest of hearts I'll soon have to cancel this and lose the $350. Not game to take delivery, try to flip it and be blacklisted by Elon. Have already asked all my real relatives a few times if they want it!!

I know someone else will be more than happy to take it instead. Please don't flame me, you will get my cancelled order soon enough :)

Similar situation here, although our kids are 7&8 so not so much of a concern. I'm going to cancel the Y (I think it is arriving on the Morning Crystal into Melbourne any day now) and wait for a dual motor option. Or something non-Tesla.

I don't think I could get in with the drop in performance from M3LR to MYRWD. Maybe I'll get bored of the performance and speeding tickets and that will be the trigger!

Good luck with your decision!

Checked the VIN source code page early this morning (as I have done nearly daily for the last few weeks now) and nothing.

And now I've just received the "Review Your Model 3 invoice" email! Lo and behold, I now have a VIN!

...... And now it's the MY I really want. So with the heaviest of hearts I'll soon have to cancel this and lose the $350. Not game to take delivery, try to flip it and be blacklisted by Elon. Have already asked all my real relatives a few times if they want it!!

I know someone else will be more than happy to take it instead. Please don't flame me, you will get my cancelled order soon enough :)
Oh no! Devastating!

Well, I guess you don't have to decide right now, do you? Still plenty of time until delivery is scheduled (and plenty of time for you to win Powerball 😉)

Reactions: rtvanda

Which MY are you going for? RWD or P?

Thank you garylovesbeer, for interesting update on driving experience.
just wondering why a 10A outside power outlet, why not 15A or even 32A?? I've had 15A's installed athome and office, but i think i should have gone 32s.
Strictly cost. Long run from switchboard. The outlet will be back to back with an interior 10A plug on a low use circuit with a 20A breaker. So very inexpensive to install and we really need one there anyway for other stuff we do in the carport. And we work from home. Last week was high mileage for us, normally 200-300km/week so 10A should be adequate with a weekly visit to a local CCS2 charger for a top-up to 100% if necessary. If we get in trouble with the 10A we will pony up and install a 20A circuit as our house is on an 80A circuit from the street and would need to upgrade that if we wanted 32A so the cost just blows out.

Reactions: Robdunc
You're not wrong. The "we will reach out with your invoice shortly" message on my order page was there for 7 months before I received it.😂
However given my car is already in Perth I'd hope that I won't have to wait too long before it's in my hands.

Thursday 7th of April.. I received the SMS for a Test Drive and Purchase of a Model 3..
I Replied YES ...got the "we aim to get back to you within 2 business days" - Still waiting for that contact.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tesla "soon" and Tesla 'shortly' seem similar to Tesla "2 Days"

Maybe we should get a Calendar or Alarm app in the display cars so they'd pay attention to it ...

Reactions: ImprovKnife
Similar situation here, although our kids are 7&8 so not so much of a concern. I'm going to cancel the Y (I think it is arriving on the Morning Crystal into Melbourne any day now) and wait for a dual motor option. Or something non-Tesla.

I don't think I could get in with the drop in performance from M3LR to MYRWD. Maybe I'll get bored of the performance and speeding tickets and that will be the trigger!

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks @Joe_B! Same to you, though I see you will be receiving a very lovely present soon! 😁
Hope you'll post pics!

Oh no! Devastating!

Well, I guess you don't have to decide right now, do you? Still plenty of time until delivery is scheduled (and plenty of time for you to win Powerball 😉)

Indeed, will cancel but not just yet - just in case Tesla suddenly says all MY production is halted for the next year. Extremely unlikely but crazier things have happened (in which case I'd go ahead and accept the M3 for now). I'm not significantly getting between someone who really wants the M3 and their car, to my mind, although I might be delaying them seeing the VIN.

Which MY are you going for? RWD or P?

The RWD - AFAIK it seemed better to be able to regularly charge the RWD up to 100%, rather than the P up to only 80%, for similar effective range. Paying over $20k more for faster acceleration and sporty features was not at all of interest to me.

One week in report
Drove about 200km in the pouring rain on Saturday. Mixed urban, freeway and rural highways. Auto wipers worked flawlessly, cruise control is exceptional - speedo reads 1% fast so that is a bonus - still coming to terms with the Autopilot. Works well on rural roads but gets uncomfortably close to large semis and other cars on the freeway at times. Also the way it takes the bends does not really match the driving habits of those around you. Everyone, including me, likes to hug the inside line markings rounding curves but Elon thinks that shouldn't be a thing and Autopilot stoically sticks to the middle of the lane slightly freaking all in the nearby vicinily. This is on Brisbane's manic roads occupied by race trained tradies trying to do PBs getting to wherever they go.
Charging is a no brainer with the UMC. Waiting for sparky to come and install the outdoor 10A outlet so we can neaten up the installation.
Was driving since pickup on Chill Mode and tried Normal Mode yesterday. Faaaaaaaark what a difference! Talk about Jekyll and Hyde! Extremely responsive to the point of not being passenger friendly and so much more power.
All up?
Very satisfied after a 750km week.
Enjoy when you get yours! We certainly are!
Just as an addition these are the charge stats so far. Very closely aligned with my calculations before purchase.
1660540305972.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 3.08.13 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 3.08.13 pm.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: PcS000
Indeed, will cancel but not just yet - just in case Tesla suddenly says all MY production is halted for the next year. Extremely unlikely but crazier things have happened (in which case I'd go ahead and accept the M3 for now). I'm not significantly getting between someone who really wants the M3 and their car, to my mind, although I might be delaying them seeing the VIN.
Given how long it takes to get to this point, definitely don't cancel without thinking it through properly 🤯 I'm sure people on here will understand
The RWD - AFAIK it seemed better to be able to regularly charge the RWD up to 100%, rather than the P up to only 80%, for similar effective range. Paying over $20k more for faster acceleration and sporty features was not at all of interest to me.
Yes, I thought the $20k was steep too. Having said that, I would have been prepared to meet in the middle and fork out for a LR ...