Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of newcomers who are unfamiliar with the "Tesla delivery process". I thought I'd document what I've learnt over the last 9 months of waiting. I hope this helps people avoid having to read 700+ pages :)
  1. Customer order is placed
    1. Tesla account and order page are provisioned (your RN number is your order)
    2. SMS received "Hi $PERSON, Welcome to the Tesla Family!"
    3. EDD on the order page shows "6 to 9 months" or some month range "Aug-Nov 2022"
  2. Order is prepped in Tesla systems
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your registration document is now ready to complete"
  3. Tesla builds quarterly, so now you must wait for the next quarterly build
    1. Note: build schedule is decided by Tesla manufacturing planners, inventory is not build-to-order
  4. Every vehicle receives a VIN once it physically exists
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Final Invoice is now available"
    2. You will now see a final invoice on your order page
  5. VINs are assigned to customer orders (e.g. a VIN is matched to your RN number), this seems to occur while vehicles are waiting to be shipped
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: A Model 3 has been assigned to your order."
    2. You can now find the VIN in your order page (if it didn't appear already), or the API: https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/oxp-bff-api/user-orders
  6. Now you wait while the vehicles are shipped to their port of entry
    1. Vedaprime etc. can help with tracking the shipments
    2. EDD is now narrowed down to a date range (e.g. 7-22 September)
  7. Vehicles are unloaded at port of entry, clear customs, and are entered into the RAV database
    1. SMS: "Tesla Update: Your Model 3 delivery is approaching"
    2. You can now find your vehicle by looking up the VIN in the RAV database: Register of Approved Vehicles Search - My ASP.NET Application
  8. Vehicles are scheduled for transport to customer delivery location
    1. EDD may keep adjusting slightly according to transport schedule and other contingencies
    2. Once a firm date exists, you get the final SMS: "Your Model 3 is ready to be scheduled for delivery!"
    3. For me, it took two business days between the "delivery approaching" and "ready for delivery" messages
  9. Now you use the Tesla link to select a pickup date and time :)
This is supremely helpful.

Can anyone else clue me in to the logistics behind rego and insurance, or in other words, if my EDD is 21-30 Sep - what should I be doing right now?

Do I need to lodge the rego form myself? If not, do I give Tesla any other details? etc

I've not bought a car in more than 10 years, so this is all a bit new to me.

Can anyone else clue me in to the logistics behind rego and insurance, or in other words, if my EDD is 21-30 Sep - what should I be doing right now?

Do I need to lodge the rego form myself? If not, do I give Tesla any other details? etc

If you've already filled out your rego details in the Tesla app, you don't need to do anything. Tesla will organise the registration of the vehicle and you will be given a car with fresh rego.

Your next step is 7 in the list above.

Thanks Matt. My real question is whether the boost is only noticeable above an approx battery charge level. When I get my car I'll buy the boost and see how it feels at 40/60/80% or similar.
Bjorn is pretty thorough with testing.. I was sure he did % testing in that vid.. Maybe I confused it with his earlier Performance testing where he did exactly that... NVM. I'll be doing the same thing with boost, when and if I ever get mine too. I look forward to the weekly tyre changes 😂😂

organise your insurance when you get the final SMS to schedule your delivery. you can still get quotes but lock in the policy once you know when exactly you're going to pick up the car.

Buy accessories

waiting-line-ticket-movie-queue.gif
How it's felt being in this waiting room. My car is finally on Australian soil. Bring on the delivery sms already!

Had nothing better to do as there appears to be a VIN drought for RWD orders from Q1 so went to Tesla US to see wait times for their M3 RWD which drive away is just over $70k AUD so roughly the same and order now EDD October to December...😢
RWD March 12 order
I'm a day after you. Had nothing better to do so went to Tesla UK and see wait times for their M3 RWD into mid of next year, drive away 80k AUD, so I think we still good

Reactions: Snoopy1
Great point.
Currently I have car mats.

Is there anything that is critical?

How about tinting and paint protection?
I guess that’s booked once a pickup date is scheduled?
Yep, book those in immediately after you book your delivery time. If you're going to get the entire M3 rear window tinted, check if your installer has done it before. It's a huge piece of film and hard to get right. IMHO don't do the half tint, looks like DIY tint.

Critical? Not critical, but consider:
  1. M3 boot shopping hook
  2. Replacement LEDs for M3 boot (there's a Bjorn video on this, replacements are literally night and day)
  3. Spigen matte screen protector for finger prints. Impossible to install incorrectly, worth the $.
  4. Windscreen sun shade (I love this one, perfect fit for entire windscreen Windscreen Sunshade - Tessories AU )
  5. Console organiser (it's a deep console)
  6. Silicon cup holders. Hold large coffees in snug, and when you inevitably get a spill due to the firm ride, easy to clean.

How it's felt being in this waiting room. My car is finally on Australian soil. Bring on the delivery sms already!
so close yet so far... hopefully we get some good news this week. My project this weekend is to install seals on the garage door....

Reactions: De4thsCh1ld