Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came here again to say nothing of any particular value or substance...

When Vin
1703204896748.png

• Funny
Reactions: divstar
Putting my 'recently retired manager at an importing company' hat back on...

Given the terrible disruptions and the many customer satisfaction issues caused by the long-delayed Stinkship, if I was running things at Tesla Australia, here's what I would do (at least during Stinkbug season):
  • not advise customers of ships bringing stock to Australia
  • provide 'advice of arrival in Australia' and VIN to customers who have placed orders AFTER the cars have been unloaded, cleared any final quarantine inspections/actions and been handed over to Tesla Australia (or its storage/distribution contractors).
This would still be earlier notification that what's provided by a 'traditional' car company. Usually, the first you hear about your new car is when it's at the dealer and they are letting you know to pick up in a few days.

Most of us (waiting for Model 3 Highlands) have EDD Jan-Mar 24. If our cars are on Don Juan (still seems quite likely), then my revised process would allow for probably two months of faffing around with quarantine issues... and they'd still be delivering within the promised window.

It's understandable that customers with cars on the Stinkship are frustrated and that some are even cancelling orders. It must be a customer service nightmare for the kiddies at Tesla Australia to handle. It's probably delaying the work in allocating VINs for cars on Don Juan. But (as I have said before) the allocation of VINs and advice to customers while cars are still on ships sets high expectations for the sequence and timing of things (leading to delivery). It's awfully easy for it all to fall apart if a 'Stinkship event' happens - and the workload in managing the downstream consequences of such an event must be enough to spoil a manager's Christmas.

Chance that Tesla listens to my thoughts: close enough to zero as to be indistinguishable from zero.

I may be an outlier but from the word go I always interpreted my Jan-Mar window as "absolutely no earlier than Jan, and if anything goes wrong, April." I've always interpreted that window as an "all things going well" type situation.
100% in the same boat (hehe) as you.. although as we saw with BA, some customers have already picked up and some to still get their deliveries next week, which exceeded their estimates. Always good to under promise, over deliver.. I'm hopeful of delivery in the earlier part of the Jan-Mar 24 EDD :) but equally, I can't be angry at Tesla if they deliver on 31st Mar 2024.

I had to send through some info to Tesla from my NV company and used the opportunity to ask if there was any updates.
Got the "Jan to March" line.

Passed on some feedback asking them to look at providing some updates even if it's a "hey your car has been built", " your car is awaiting transport" etc, by an automated message, still keep a wide delivery window if necessary to allow for things to go wrong but at least giving people some indication that something is happening.

Probably won't go anywhere but can't hurt.

My SA this week was very switched on, spent a large portion discussing the release date of FSD in aus and all the behind the scenes work (employees on 24hr rotating shifts driving cars around to collect data).

But still take his word with a grain of salt, he said unofficially he would estimate if you ordered before December, you should have your car end of Jan.

Reactions: Jules22
My SA this week was very switched on, spent a large portion discussing the release date of FSD in aus and all the behind the scenes work (employees on 24hr rotating shifts driving cars around to collect data).

But still take his word with a grain of salt, he said unofficially he would estimate if you ordered before December, you should have your car end of Jan.
Yeah, I've heard similar from SA's.

One thing of interest for anyone using Smart Salary, They told me that they can get me a Chargefox card which would be billed direct to them for $5 a month.... I questioned if he meant $5 one off fee (which is what chargefox charge), he reckons it's $5/month through Smart Salary....

Dunno if he's wrong (he's been wrong a few times so far) would be good if you can get one through them and avoid having to claim charging should you use a chargefox site, but no way I'm paying $5 a month for something I won't use more than once a year, if that.