Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having finally taken delivery of my October ordered MY RWD a week ago (and having been royally screwed by the price drop), I suggest avoiding spending extra on your car. But the cheapest variant you can be happy with. Also take a moment to consider other cars coming onto the market.

I believe you have ordered red like I did. It was not worth it. Mine was delivered with spots of dark discolouration eaten into the clear coat of the bonnet. The paint is also really easily damaged. Don't casually wipe a light coat of dust off without using water unless you want to watch the scratches form in front of your eyes.. Was this a problem during transport and delivery, or a problem from the factory? I don't know, but I am stuck with an expensive paint job that looks like crap.

Between that and an assortment of other disappointments, I have been really disheartened by the car. There are good things, too, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do a proper review because I just feel sick about the whole thing.

There are some really silly software issues.
For example, steering assist only works at the signposted speed limit (plus an offset if you want). That is great except that the car keeps missing speed signs, so you can be stuck driving 30km along the highway before it reads another speed sign and allows you to use steering assist at the posted speed limit.

Autopilot (one click down or two clicks down on the right stalk) is very prone to following too close to the car in front e.g. 1 second gap at 80kph, 1.5 second at 100kph. On a 1000km round trip, I was frequently needing to drive manually to keep a safe following distance. It was Ok sometimes, and dangerous other times.

Steering assist is similarly good if it works. It also frequently turns off because of a gentle curve in the road, especially left-hand curves when it seems to detect incoming traffic as a collision threat. The car also frequently complains about imminent lane changes when nothing is happening. It did not cope at all with single-lane rural roads without painted road borders. It frequently popped an urgent alarm, silencing the music while shrieking at me to take control because we're about to crash!!! Honestly, I've never driven a more annoying car to drive on a country road. By comparison, the traffic-aware cruise control and lane-keeping assist on the 2022 Kona is easier to use, more reliable and less intrusive.

The Tesla navigation will not show any chargers other than Tesla superchargers. You also cannot precondition the battery for DC fast charging unless you are going to a Supercharger. Given the lack of Superchargers north of Gympie, this is more than a little annoying.

Charging from solar via the UMC is not practical. You can set when you want the car to be ready at the same time each day, but can only specify weekdays or weekends, not different days of the week. You can't specify just when you want it ready next. You can't truly prevent it charging at peak times. You can say when off-peak time ends, but not when it starts. That is so limited.

You can load your music collection onto a hard drive (on a separate partition from sentry mode). There is no way to specify a play list. You can search and play by artist, song or genre. There is no way to build a playlist from different albums, for example.

You can't watch your own videos while parked. The only way is to use premium connectivity and Netflix or Disney+. How hard is it to play an MP4 file via USB?

The driving experience is pretty quiet (as expected, and this is a good feature), but no better than the 2022 Kona EV. The Tesla doesn't make a bonging noise in reverse, though. That's good.

I did eventually get my UMC replaced with the proper 10A/15A tails. It took Tesla three attempts (each time telling me it had been sent, but then having some kind of system problem) to actually send it to me, so I had to make other arrangements to charge my car initially.

Home delivery is supposed to be arranged through the app. That doesn't happen at all. The car is dropped off with the key cards, the truck leaves and you check over the car, but can't connect the app to it. You have to phone Sales (I mistakenly phoned Support) and they tell you it will take up to an hour for the app to be connected to the car. It is drivable using the cards in the meantime, but none of the app features work.

Again, I just can't bring myself to do a proper job of reviewing this car because I just feel sick about it. I know some people here have had great experiences. I have had the short end of the stick repeatedly and I am just completely over it.

Do not trust Tesla to tell you the truth about anything, or to look after you properly. Do not believe the hype about their superior software. Avoid paying extra for better paint. The white interior does seem nice, though. Honestly, having bought other cars, with the Kona EV being just a few months ago, I don't believe Tesla are offering better value or a better experience. At least, they didn't for me.
Very sad to read the conclusion of your saga, and that it was not a happy ending. Especially with your helpfulness to all the Tesla purchasers on this site (which I'm sure has saved a few calls to Tesla sales reps).

I hope you you can get some enjoyment out of the car but understand with your experience thus far it's going to be harder or take longer to get there.

All the best.

Last edited:
Luckily, I think we are slightly better off being an ABN purchaser before EOY with no GST and full depreciation.

Otherwise I'd have trouble sleeping tonight.
I am in Queensland. When the State Government announced that the $6000 rebate would apply up to $680000, I asked Tesla if there was any chance they would discount the base model ($68900) to below that price (hell, even if they increased the delivery charges by $900 it would have been a huge saving). They said there were no plans, so I stuck with the overpriced red paint in my original order. Tough luck, of course, but with the car being considerably less good than it should be, I am really wishing I had made a different choice.

Reactions: Red Man and LWR15K
purchase the standard range and if you haven't done so already invest the $16k in solar and home batteries.
Great suggestion. Maybe even Tesla stock!
Nevertheless, I already have a home solar.
For batteries, I am considering purchasing another generic vehicle that has V2H capability. It is a cheap 80KWH - 100 KWH battery on wheels that mostly sits in the garage overnight!

Has anyone successfully changed their order (upgrade/downgrade) without losing their deposit after a VIN was assigned? They allowed me to do it once in April when changing from SR to the newly launched LR, but I guess I will have some difficulty this time swapping it again

Very sad to read the conclusion of your saga, and that it was not a happy ending. Especially with your helpfulness to all the Tesla purchasers on this site (which I'm sure has saved a few calls to Tesla sales reps).

I hope you you can get some enjoyment out of the car but understand with your experience thus far it's going to be harder or take longer to get there.

All the best.
Agree with Red Man - sorry to hear of your experience and the delivery dates adjusted. I would encourage you to raise your concerns regarding your disappointment with the red paint. Not sure of your circumstances but if in Nth QLD the distance for delivery may have been a factor for the paint? You do have consumer rights and if you are not happy with the quality you should not have to wear it. Tesla and the delivery company should address your concerns in the first instance. You spent a lot of money and waited a long time to get your car. I am sure many on this forum empathise with you and trust you get a satisfactory outcome. Please keep us updated.

Agree with Red Man - sorry to hear of your experience and the delivery dates adjusted. I would encourage you to raise your concerns regarding your disappointment with the red paint. Not sure of your circumstances but if in Nth QLD the distance for delivery may have been a factor for the paint? You do have consumer rights and if you are not happy with the quality you should not have to wear it. Tesla and the delivery company should address your concerns in the first instance. You spent a lot of money and waited a long time to get your car. I am sure many on this forum empathise with you and trust you get a satisfactory outcome. Please keep us updated.
Thanks. Part of the problem is that the car is already registered in my company name for a couple of weeks before it even arrives. They basically treat it as me taking delivery when they hand it to the car carrier. Tesla will say the paint was perfect when it left them, and the car carrier will say they didn't do anything to it. It has been such a long process that I just can't stand needing to have a fight about the state of the car, especially when I can't see it achieving anything.

To then have them drop the price a week after delivery just feels like a kick in the teeth. I will try to find a way to enjoy the car. I waited until after my trip in the hopes that I would be able to give a review balanced with glowing positives about how well the car works for long trips, but it just doesn't, at least on regional and rural roads. Does anyone know if the Autopilot will somehow improve with more use (beyond the initial calibration)?

I was descending the Eungella Range today and discovered I couldn't activate cruise control at all (in the Kona, cruise uses regenerative braking to hold the car quite nicely to the aet speed). I had to use the brake pedal a lot in the Tesla.

One of the best uses for cruise control is keeping to the limit in roadworks. I understand that the Tesla can't use steering assistance in that environment, but it also can't maintain its speed. The screen shows the posted limit, the cruise control max speed lit up as though cruise control is active, but it constantly applies regenerative braking. I had to urgently use the accelerator to avoid braking in front of the cars following me. That, of course, tended to put me over the speed limit. I ended up avoiding cruise control altogether in the roadworks. Again, every car I've driven in the past 20 years has had better cruise control. What am I missing?

Having finally taken delivery of my October ordered MY RWD a week ago (and having been royally screwed by the price drop), I suggest avoiding spending extra on your car. But the cheapest variant you can be happy with. Also take a moment to consider other cars coming onto the market.

I believe you have ordered red like I did. It was not worth it. Mine was delivered with spots of dark discolouration eaten into the clear coat of the bonnet. The paint is also really easily damaged. Don't casually wipe a light coat of dust off without using water unless you want to watch the scratches form in front of your eyes.. Was this a problem during transport and delivery, or a problem from the factory? I don't know, but I am stuck with an expensive paint job that looks like crap.

Between that and an assortment of other disappointments, I have been really disheartened by the car. There are good things, too, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do a proper review because I just feel sick about the whole thing.

For example, steering assist only works at the signposted speed limit (plus an offset if you want). That is great except that the car keeps missing speed signs, so you can be stuck driving 30km along the highway before it reads another speed sign and allows you to use steering assist at the posted speed limit.

Autopilot (one click down or two clicks down on the right stalk) is very prone to following too close to the car in front e.g. 1 second gap at 80kph, 1.5 second at 100kph. On a 1000km round trip, I was frequently needing to drive manually to keep a safe following distance. It was Ok sometimes, and dangerous other times.

Steering assist is similarly good if it works. It also frequently turns off because of a gentle curve in the road, especially left-hand curves when it seems to detect incoming traffic as a collision threat. The car also frequently complains about imminent lane changes when nothing is happening. It did not cope at all with single-lane rural roads without painted road borders. It frequently popped an urgent alarm, silencing the music while shrieking at me to take control because we're about to crash!!! Honestly, I've never driven a more annoying car to drive on a country road. By comparison, the traffic-aware cruise control and lane-keeping assist on the 2022 Kona is easier to use, more reliable and less intrusive.

The Tesla navigation will not show any chargers other than Tesla superchargers. You also cannot precondition the battery for DC fast charging unless you are going to a Supercharger. Given the lack of Superchargers north of Gympie, this is more than a little annoying.

Charging from solar via the UMC is not practical. You can set when you want the car to be ready at the same time each day, but can only specify weekdays or weekends, not different days of the week. You can't specify just when you want it ready next. You can't truly prevent it charging at peak times. You can say when off-peak time ends, but not when it starts. That is so limited.

You can load your music collection onto a hard drive (on a separate partition from sentry mode). There is no way to specify a play list. You can search and play by artist, song or genre. There is no way to build a playlist from different albums, for example.

You can't watch your own videos while parked. The only way is to use premium connectivity and Netflix or Disney+. How hard is it to play an MP4 file via USB?

The driving experience is pretty quiet (as expected, and this is a good feature), but no better than the 2022 Kona EV. The Tesla doesn't make a bonging noise in reverse, though. That's good.

I did eventually get my UMC replaced with the proper 10A/15A tails. It took Tesla three attempts (each time telling me it had been sent, but then having some kind of system problem) to actually send it to me, so I had to make other arrangements to charge my car initially.

Home delivery is supposed to be arranged through the app. That doesn't happen at all. The car is dropped off with the key cards, the truck leaves and you check over the car, but can't connect the app to it. You have to phone Sales (I mistakenly phoned Support) and they tell you it will take up to an hour for the app to be connected to the car. It is drivable using the cards in the meantime, but none of the app features work.

Again, I just can't bring myself to do a proper job of reviewing this car because I just feel sick about it. I know some people here have had great experiences. I have had the short end of the stick repeatedly and I am just completely over it.

Do not trust Tesla to tell you the truth about anything, or to look after you properly. Do not believe the hype about their superior software. Avoid paying extra for better paint. The white interior does seem nice, though. Honestly, having bought other cars, with the Kona EV being just a few months ago, I don't believe Tesla are offering better value or a better experience. At least, they didn't for me.
Your review is extremely accurate. Tesla autopilot is a joke. It’s still in beta and has been left behind. It is no longer the leader and indeed the tesla designed system never has been. The mobileye system in the earlier tesla’s was the leader. To stop watching your paint scratch, get yourself either a film or a ceramic treatment from a detailer. Each of my 4 tesla’s has had paint defects. There will never be a 5th tesla in my garage.

Reactions: hooty and JonDarian
Thanks. Part of the problem is that the car is already registered in my company name for a couple of weeks before it even arrives. They basically treat it as me taking delivery when they hand it to the car carrier. Tesla will say the paint was perfect when it left them, and the car carrier will say they didn't do anything to it. It has been such a long process that I just can't stand needing to have a fight about the state of the car, especially when I can't see it achieving anything.

To then have them drop the price a week after delivery just feels like a kick in the teeth. I will try to find a way to enjoy the car. I waited until after my trip in the hopes that I would be able to give a review balanced with glowing positives about how well the car works for long trips, but it just doesn't, at least on regional and rural roads. Does anyone know if the Autopilot will somehow improve with more use (beyond the initial calibration)?

I was descending the Eungella Range today and discovered I couldn't activate cruise control at all (in the Kona, cruise uses regenerative braking to hold the car quite nicely to the aet speed). I had to use the brake pedal a lot in the Tesla.

One of the best uses for cruise control is keeping to the limit in roadworks. I understand that the Tesla can't use steering assistance in that environment, but it also can't maintain its speed. The screen shows the posted limit, the cruise control max speed lit up as though cruise control is active, but it constantly applies regenerative braking. I had to urgently use the accelerator to avoid braking in front of the cars following me. That, of course, tended to put me over the speed limit. I ended up avoiding cruise control altogether in the roadworks. Again, every car I've driven in the past 20 years has had better cruise control. What am I missing?
Tesla cruise control is junk. I hadnt used mine at all for a year before departing company with that car.
I did find sometimes a re-calibration helped a lot especially if I drove very carefully for the recalibration distance. Was still junk, just less junk.
Maybe check your regen is switched on, you should not have to brake downhill, unless your battery is too full or cold.

I can’t solve all your problems, but experiment with following distance as too low a setting can result in the car doing scary things. Lane keeping will generally work well in properly lane marked roads, the less the lane markings the harder for Autopilot to do its job. Works best on roads posted with 100 or 110Km/h speed limits. As to the paint issues, I would take it to a professional detailing company to get their opinion, it may be resolved by a good detail which you can optionally follow up with PPF and or ceramic coating. It has helped me keep my 8 year old Tesla looking good.
I hope the experience improves, good luck.

happening. It did not cope at all with single-lane rural roads without painted road borders. It frequently popped an urgent alarm, silencing the music while shrieking at me to take control because we're about to crash!!!

Just a reminder it’s not supposed to be used for this situation.

from the manual it is very clear:

Warning
Autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheeland be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death.

Reactions: dietereater

Warning
Autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheeland be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death.
I've tried driving and testing with auto pilot at first time on the winding road when I was driving around Dandenong Rangers. The result was very scary and that's why I'm using my common sense to decide where to use it. You got to imagine it driving around a bend of suggested speed limit 45kmh with auto pilot at 60kmh,:eek:. When going down the hill driving manually I ended up having the battery recharged by regenerative braking with additional distance of 25 km :)

Warning
This is my fault for not being clear. As I said, I haven't felt up to writing a proper review. I wasn't using autosteer, or even cruise control on those roads. These were emergency warnings because the car thought a crash was imminent. I was manually driving along a single lane of asphalt and the car would pop a warning every couple of minutes because of apparently IMMINENT DEATH!!!

Autosteer also repeatedly turned off on well-marker highways because of gentle curves, or incoming traffic. At other times, it worked well. You definitely want your hand on the wheel and ready to take over any moment. I just didn't find it relaxing to drive with a system that would turn off and jerk the steering sideways at the slightest provocation. Unexpectedly and abruptly slowing for minor crests in the road, etc, is also dangerous for following cars, and uncomfortable for the passengers.

I've tried driving and testing with auto pilot at first time on the winding road when I was driving around Dandenong Rangers. The result was very scary and that's why I'm using my common sense to decide where to use it. You got to imagine it driving around a bend of suggested speed limit 45kmh with auto pilot at 60kmh,:eek:. When going down the hill driving manually I ended up having the battery recharged by regenerative braking with additional distance of 25 km :)

Yeah, I don't use any cruise control if I will need to constantly adjust my speed. It doesn't matter how good your brakes or reflexes are if you can't see around the corner, so it's no fun going too fast. EVs with regenerative braking do typically make it easy to slow smoothly into corners like that, and then whoosh smoothly out of them again.

Tesla cruise control is junk. I hadnt used mine at all for a year before departing company with that car.
I did find sometimes a re-calibration helped a lot especially if I drove very carefully for the recalibration distance. Was still junk, just less junk.
Maybe check your regen is switched on, you should not have to brake downhill, unless your battery is too full or cold.

Thanks. I'll probably try a recalibration.
Regen was definitely on for the hill descent. I wondered if the speed limit of 40 was somehow too low, but I was able to set it as a limit later in the drive. It was about 10 degrees Celsius, but the battery had been preconditioned using Scheduled Departure, and the battery percentage was in to 60s. Autopilot can be set to "Speed Limit" or "Current Speed". I wonder if somehow the car didn't know the speed limit for that bit of road, so couldn't turn on Autopilot. We tested it in "Current Speed" mode this morning on a hill near home and it seemed to work better, down to a minimum of 30 kph.

I can’t solve all your problems, but experiment with following distance as too low a setting can result in the car doing scary things. Lane keeping will generally work well in properly lane marked roads, the less the lane markings the harder for Autopilot to do its job. Works best on roads posted with 100 or 110Km/h speed limits. As to the paint issues, I would take it to a professional detailing company to get their opinion, it may be resolved by a good detail which you can optionally follow up with PPF and or ceramic coating. It has helped me keep my 8 year old Tesla looking good.
I hope the experience improves, good luck.
Thanks. Yeah, I can understand that it can't steer well without good road markings (the Kona likes good markings, too). The Tesla failed repeatedly even where the markings were great. I've driven the same road in the Kona and its lane-keeping was much better.

I could definitely get paint correction, PPF, professional ceramic coating, etc. I just shouldn't need to repair the paint on a brand new car, especially one as expensive as this. Maybe that's how Tesla should be describing this latest discount? "Here's a few grand to fix and protect the lousy paint on your new car".

Honestly, there are others here who seem to have received a car with unmarred paint. I am wondering if something happened to mine in transit and they had to clean something off it, were only partially successful and somehow damaged the paint in the process. I've never seen automotive paint so fragile.

Oh, this was also interesting. On removing my hubcaps, I was surprised to find surface rust. Is that common?

Attachments

• PXL_20230628_055653530.jpg
    PXL_20230628_055653530.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 46
I have had my car for over a week now, first to Tesla, I also probably wouldnt buy another if had the chance and have also been hit with the 6K reduction miss.

Too many issues already, rattles from back which I need to see the centre about, and rattles from a door also, it creaks every 30 seconds.

Overall, the plastics inside, after spending some time with, dont come close to a bog standard CX 5. The interior is a let down after spending time in it. But I should have seen that from the test drive. I was too busy working out how to drive the thing.

I got into an ICE car the other day and felt relief with some buttons, and the Tesla autopilot is total *sugar*...have engaged and disengaged way more than hyundai...who seem to have it sorted. I feel Tesla is all about hype and no actual quality...and long term that will count. The cameras for example, the Tesla vision...they are bad quality...really bad...for a 2023 car. Like Volvo xc60 first version 2014...

Would not repeat the experience, I'd get a polestar if I had to.

Seriousl? The next thing you going to highlight is the website says 455kms range but when your cars fully charged it only shows 435kms. Did you do ANY research while waiting for the car?
New owners are permitted to express the pro’s and con’s of their tesla experience. Tesla cars were fantastic a decade ago. They have not advanced and the competition is surpassing them.

This is my fault for not being clear. As I said, I haven't felt up to writing a proper review. I wasn't using autosteer, or even cruise control on those roads. These were emergency warnings because the car thought a crash was imminent.

This is an active safety feature that you can choose to turn on or off

I would encourage you to read the manual

Reactions: Power Hungry