Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Lane Change Stays in Passing Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have EAP and auto lane change works in every situation except to move out of the passing lane. After passing someone on the left lane, the car simply stays there... regardless of the vehicles behind me waiting for me to move over. I know it's capable of moving lanes to the right because it will do it if an exit is coming up, or if I prompt it (manually engaging the turn signal).

I drove from Michigan to Chicago and if it wasn't for me disabling Auto Lane Change, it was driving in the far left passing lane the entire time.

Has anyone experienced this? Again, it works under all circumstances except to get out of passing lane. Interestingly, it would move out of the passing lane for the first few weeks or so after the release, but, while my friends are still moving out of the passing lane, my car stopped doing so roughly 5 months ago.

The issue was confirmed by a mobile tech and has since been escelated up to where they are now actively analyzing my car's data in real (or semi real time). So far they haven't been able to pinpoint the issue :/

I would like to get FSD soon, but, as the mobile tech mentioned, it'd be a gamble until this issue us figured out first.

Hi,

I have EAP and auto lane change works in every situation except to move out of the passing lane. After passing someone on the left lane, the car simply stays there... regardless of the vehicles behind me waiting for me to move over. I know it's capable of moving lanes to the right because it will do it if an exit is coming up, or if I prompt it (manually engaging the turn signal).

I drove from Michigan to Chicago and if it wasn't for me disabling Auto Lane Change, it was driving in the far left passing lane the entire time.

Has anyone experienced this? Again, it works under all circumstances except to get out of passing lane. Interestingly, it would move out of the passing lane for the first few weeks or so after the release, but, while my friends are still moving out of the passing lane, my car stopped doing so roughly 5 months ago.

The issue was confirmed by a mobile tech and has since been escelated up to where they are now actively analyzing my car's data in real (or semi real time). So far they haven't been able to pinpoint the issue :/

I would like to get FSD soon, but, as the mobile tech mentioned, it'd be a gamble until this issue us figured out first.

I recall reading about this issue, and I also believe it is fixed in HW3. Given that, if you upgrade to FSD and get the HW3 install, it appears that will solve the issue.

Is changing out of passing lane still a thing?

Reactions: jdub55
Just got a response from the Highland Park Tesla SC. Mind you, the video URLs I provided were on 3-4 lane freeways:

>Hello J... this is TESLA at Highland Park we are reviewing your concern and would like to inform you that our engineers have reviewed your concern and the data you have provided. We have performed a Driver's Assistance Diagnostics Test on your vehicle and did not find any issues. We have determined that your vehicle behavior in the videos provided is expected behavior. The vehicle will remain in the passing lane because all traffic will exit or merge from the other, slower lane.You can use the turn signal to move the vehicle back in the original lane. A service Visit appointment is no longer necessary. Thank You

Just got a response from the Highland Park Tesla SC. Mind you, the video URLs I provided were on 3-4 lane freeways:

>Hello J... this is TESLA at Highland Park we are reviewing your concern and would like to inform you that our engineers have reviewed your concern and the data you have provided. We have performed a Driver's Assistance Diagnostics Test on your vehicle and did not find any issues. We have determined that your vehicle behavior in the videos provided is expected behavior. The vehicle will remain in the passing lane because all traffic will exit or merge from the other, slower lane.You can use the turn signal to move the vehicle back in the original lane. A service Visit appointment is no longer necessary. Thank You

LOL. "Our software has issues we can't fix".

Lane change on signal is the ONLY thing I miss going from EAP to basic Autopilot. And that was NOT worth a $7k upgrade.

Reactions: jdub55
Can anyone on HW 2.5 tell me if their M3 moves out of the passing lane after passing?
We still have HW2.5. Getting out of the passing lane used to work quite well. Then a few months back (I no longer recall the specific software release) it just stopped doing it. It hogs the fast lane. Obviously, I can just flip the signal and it'll go, but the automation is gone. Folks say HW3 restores this functionality. But I don't get why this should require HW3.

I recall reading about this issue, and I also believe it is fixed in HW3. Given that, if you upgrade to FSD and get the HW3 install, it appears that will solve the issue.

Is changing out of passing lane still a thing?
I had HW 3 installed April 29th. I can confirm HW 2.5 had that issue and I have over 28,000 miles on my car. Yesterday I drove over 250 miles and on many occasions the car would put on the right turn signal while displaying on the screen "Exiting passing lane" or something like that. The car also seemed to do better at identifying actual road markings from sealed cracks in the road. Also while driving when three lanes were available and the left two had people driving the same speed side by side autopilot passed everyone in the right lane, I was so happy.

Off topic but I dislike that in city speed limit is strictly enforced on autopilot, used to be 5 MPH over alllowed. Also, autopilot is limited to 90 MPH on highways. I thought HW3 would remove that limit.

I had HW 3 installed April 29th. I can confirm HW 2.5 had that issue and I have over 28,000 miles on my car. Yesterday I drove over 250 miles and on many occasions the car would put on the right turn signal while displaying on the screen "Exiting passing lane" or something like that. The car also seemed to do better at identifying actual road markings from sealed cracks in the road. Also while driving when three lanes were available and the left two had people driving the same speed side by side autopilot passed everyone in the right lane, I was so happy.

Off topic but I dislike that in city speed limit is strictly enforced on autopilot, used to be 5 MPH over alllowed. Also, autopilot is limited to 90 MPH on highways. I thought HW3 would remove that limit.

The speed limit is there so the car has plenty of time to recognize stop signs and stop lights...but some highways just have stupid speed limits that are usually labeled to slow or to fast ..someone needs to update the speed limits ..not really a Tesla issue

My HW 2.5 returns from passing lane about 1/2 the time. It has also passed in the right lane. Once it wouldn't accept a command to go to the right lane. The lane was completely free but the display showed a red colored car overtaking me. Weird!

Has anyone seen the “warning” of “changing lanes to move away from cones” or something like that?? I’ve seen it once on a two lane highway with one lane closed and cones on the white dashed line, and it tried to change lanes into the entrance ramp lane!