Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having the same problem. My daughter has even given up on it and tells me to "just park it yourself!" I need to find a place to practice with no one around and the perfect space, I guess.

Is the "P" obvious when it shows up?

Yes and no. It pops up on the dash but it's gray and there's not a lot of contrast. See screenshot from page 76 of the new 7.0 manual
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445971993.629700.jpg

Last edited:
Had a second success this morning dropping my son off at school. Freaked him out a little as he'd never seen it in action before. Really freaked out the mom of one of his friends who happened to be across the street when we were parking and I waved to her with two hands as the car parked itself. :scared:

I think the biggest key for me now that I seem to be past the calibration phase is to make sure I pull further forward than I would have parking myself.

I started this thread 12 days ago and finally got auto park to work today:smile:. The last few days I have noticed that the right side warning beam had been more active when I was near cars or objects on the right side.
Not sure if the sensors needed to calibrate itself or what but it works now. Did nothing different in approaching parking spot when it wasn't working. Those still having problems still, see if your right side warning beam is active enough.

I started this thread 12 days ago and finally got auto park to work today:smile:. The last few days I have noticed that the right side warning beam had been more active when I was near cars or objects on the right side.
Not sure if the sensors needed to calibrate itself or what but it works now. Did nothing different in approaching parking spot when it wasn't working. Those still having problems still, see if your right side warning beam is active enough.

Yup, I had the exact same thing happen to me. Auto-park worked for the first time yesterday, but now it works pretty much all the time. I actually thought that my front right sensor wasn't working right because it didn't seem to show things properly. But now suddenly it is a lot more active and auto-park works even on really low rounded curbs.

Unfortunately, the wheel makes a weird rumbling noise when turned by auto-park so I am going to have to ask the service center to take a look.

I also finally had the auto-park work for the first time about 2 days ago! I was actually about to show a friend how it doesn't work, and all of the sudden the icon popped up for me. I also had to drive forward further than I typically would do to park the car myself. However, I put the car into reverse, hit the button, and it auto-parked perfectly! I haven't had the chance to test it since, but I'm hopeful that it will work for me next time I actually need to parallel park. I can parallel park just fine on my own, but it's so much more fun watching the car do it!

Mine is done calibrating and Parallel Parking on it's own now!

First time was funny as I was with my daughter and explaining how it's supposed to park itself but hasn't done it yet... woah! Then the P appeared for the first time. Tightest parking spot EVER! It parked like a boss - except it had to dry-steer several times. I actually had a hard time getting OUT of the parkings spot! I could use Auto Unpark :)

Mine is done calibrating and Parallel Parking on it's own now!

First time was funny as I was with my daughter and explaining how it's supposed to park itself but hasn't done it yet... woah! Then the P appeared for the first time. Tightest parking spot EVER! It parked like a boss - except it had to dry-steer several times. I actually had a hard time getting OUT of the parkings spot! I could use Auto Unpark :)

I thought the minimum was 20 feet length? Are you saying it parked in a tighter parking spot?

I stopped by the local (SLC) service center last week and we set up a test "track" with one vehicle, then a space and then two more vehicles.

Autopark worked fine when the space was 20 feet but when we shrunk that to 19 it did not work.

Thank you.

I was optimistic by the "tightest parking spot EVER" comment. But 20' isn't tight unfortunately.

i have driven about 700 miles since autopilot update was released, and still only had success 1 time out of 30 times. frustrating....seems like 700 miles is enough to "learn" the dang thing. aint working for me

I wonder if the calibrating / learning distance for parallel parking has to be in situations similar to the actual parking situations. In other words, assuming this whole calibration thing is real, is there any reason to believe that 1000 miles on the highway would get the car ready for parallel parking, better than say 50 or 100 miles driven along city streets, with parked cars and parking spaces available?

If the car is 16' that would leave 2' front and back to get out. Seems tight enough for me.

I've commented about this in another thread. 20' is acceptable for many people, but it really depends on where you live. In a large metropolitan city, you wont find many 20+' spaces. You're going to have to force yourself into a smaller space or park much further away (or pay to have a valet curb your rims ;)).

While I was driving out of my back alley last night I got the "P" indicator for the first time while passing some garbage cans, it did it 2 more times before the end of the alley, so on my way home I tried it on the street and it worked beautifully, first time it left me about 6" from the curb which I thought was marginal, but the second spot I tried it was nice and close to the curb.

Guess the "calibration" period worked as I hadn't seen any "P" indicators for the previous week even though I had tried many times the same type of situations.

I haven't seen this mentioned before...but has anyone tested auto parallel parking on a narrow one-way street? I'm wondering how it shows up if there are available spaces on both sides of the street and how you choose which side of the street you want it to park on.

I haven't seen this mentioned before...but has anyone tested auto parallel parking on a narrow one-way street? I'm wondering how it shows up if there are available spaces on both sides of the street and how you choose which side of the street you want it to park on.

I've only gotten the notification for spots on the right side. Though it could be user error on my part.

I've only gotten the notification for spots on the right side. Though it could be user error on my part.

Thanks. Let me know if you ever get them for spots on the driver's side. I know with other auto-parking systems, you can indicate the side with your turn signals but Tesla's system doesn't need the signals. I wonder if it would display two spots on the screen and let you choose or if it just shows the first one as it's highly unlikely they would be exactly the same distance away on each side of the street.

There are a lot of one lane one-way streets near downtown Denver, hence my curiosity.

Capture.PNG