Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Parallel Parking feature working for anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An ICE car most definitely produces its peak power in all gears, as the transmission keeps it in its power band! The P85D only has max power for 1.5 seconds, until 30MPH, then goes downhill from there to never return again. A 691HP ICE car will will output max HP in its peak RPM range, which is pretty much the whole time as it accelerates.. C'mon. Trap speed of P85D is 111MPH and Hellcat is 127MPH, same HP. Think McFly, Think!

Tesla and Elon are quickly achieving the reputation of "Overpromise, Underdeliver" in the automotive industry. Autopilot, Battery Swap, Trip Planner, Car Summoning, Auto snake charging thing... It's all becoming very gimmicky

Nice selective reading. I never said anything about gears. I don't know where you got your 1.5seconds number from (0-60 acceleration is not linear).

Here's some light reading for you: P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it..
Cliff Notes: It never hits 691HP.

Last edited:
I've tried it countless times. Low curbs. High curbs. 8 mph, 13 mph. super close to parked cars (almost touching:scared:), 1-2 feet away. Stopped at the front of the front car, further than that, and with my rear at the front of that car.

I have never seen the "P" on the display. I stop and put it in reverse, and have nothing on the 17" other than the usual reverse display.

Many times, the toy car on the display does not even register that there are cars next to me, though autopark does not work even when it does.

It sounds like I am not the only one with this issue, and many of us have spent a bunch of time trying to get this to work. Is it possible that some of our sensors are not working appropriately for autopark?

I noticed that when I have autopilot on I see the rear ultrasonic sensors firing away but nothing at all from the front. I noticed in the autopilot videos that both front and rear sensors are firing away. Maybe if a car is not firing the front sensors the autopilot will work but not the self parking. This is purely speculation on my part.

Had my first success today. I was trying to demonstrate for my wife what is supposed to happen before I parked myself when the P indicator appeared. I hit the go button and away it went -- perfectly parked in about the same time that I would have done it myself.

To be honest, it freaked us both out a bit. It did seem quite close at the front corner of the car when making the turn in, but we ended up perfectly placed about 6" from the curb and I could tell from the mirrors that at no point were we in danger of getting curb rash.

I've tried it countless times. Low curbs. High curbs. 8 mph, 13 mph. super close to parked cars (almost touching:scared:), 1-2 feet away. Stopped at the front of the front car, further than that, and with my rear at the front of that car.

I have never seen the "P" on the display. I stop and put it in reverse, and have nothing on the 17" other than the usual reverse display.

Many times, the toy car on the display does not even register that there are cars next to me, though autopark does not work even when it does.

It sounds like I am not the only one with this issue, and many of us have spent a bunch of time trying to get this to work. Is it possible that some of our sensors are not working appropriately for autopark?

I would call Tesla Roadside next time and have them log into the car and see what is happening in real time. Whether it is a bug or a failure on your car, they will want to help you fix it!

Can it parallel park on the left side of a one way street?

Yes, it works on the left side - I tried it tonight and it worked like a charm. It was also dark out, so impressed by that, too.

I have to say that on my first 2 auto parking attempts with a normal spot on the right side, I bailed out early by pressing the brake, not quite trusting things (I'm only test-driving the car overnight so this is my first experience with autopilot). But after that I just let it to do its thing, and success. Then next attempt I tried it on the left side and it worked first time.

Yes, it works on the left side - I tried it tonight and it worked like a charm. It was also dark out, so impressed by that, too.

I have to say that on my first 2 auto parking attempts with a normal spot on the right side, I bailed out early by pressing the brake, not quite trusting things (I'm only test-driving the car overnight so this is my first experience with autopilot). But after that I just let it to do its thing, and success. Then next attempt I tried it on the left side and it worked first time.

The videos I posted a few posts ago were both on the left side of the street.

Wonder when they will add auto calibrate to the sensors. Car starts bumping into cars/walls and detects torque change to determine accurate 0 point :)

On a serious note though, curious if it is sensitive enough to avoid something like a trailer hitch on the front car? Many of those extend quite a ways. Sensitive topic for me, I have a big dent in the front of my (non-tesla) car from someone backing into it in a parking lot.

Count myself in that situation as well...