Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a symptom of the problem, not the root of the problem. Eliminating the rain sensor is obviously idiotic. The root of the problem is a level of arrogance that permeates the corporation, so that idiocy is not recognized as such. That, and a lack of ethics, results in numerous features that do not work as advertised or that have remarkably substandard ergonomics.

As one whose car tried to kill me (while trying out FSD) I'm sensitive to the ethical sleaziness of promoting a dangerous system as if is a safety feature. I'm an aware, defensive driver, with a better-than average driving record and with healthy skepticism regarding FSD's ability to accomplish full self driving. So my reaction times were good enough to avoid accidents several times by taking over from FSD. But an average, more gullible driver might have been killed.

At least Pay Pal had little potential for killing people.
The problem with Tesla is, they seem to decide that something that was done with hardware, should be possible to do with software.

As such, that's not really a problem, but they remove the hardware BEFORE they even write a line of code it seems.

If they decided "Hey we are going to get rid of the USS or we are going to get rid of the Rain sensor" and made the software and only WHEN they had made the software and proved it was possible, would they remove the sensors, i would be fine with it.

But in their arrogance, they decide that it must be possible, so they remove the sensors "now" and only a year or more later, do they find out if it WAS possible to make a software replacement.

When it comes to the rain sensor, i am fairly sure the reason they have not made something that works, is it is somewhere between impossible and a LOT harder than they, in their arrogance thought it would be.

I bought the "cheap" car, had i bought a Model X at more than double the price i would be livid, with rain sensors that works worse than on previous my bog standard GM car from 2016.

According to the ever so trustworthy internet, Tesla removed the rain sensor in favor of the camera alternative in 2016 and if they have not been able to make the camera based system work in 8 years, it's probably because it is not possible to get it working as good as the 1$ dedicated sensor they decided to omit.

Even with the latest version i have had dry wipes....Rainy day, wiper going on slow continuous, rain stops but it just keeps on wiping the now dry windscreen and offcourse when the rain starts and wipers are off, it is extremely slow to react and start wiping in the first place, it seems the windscreen where the camera is, does not get wet as fast as the part that is in my line of sight, it can be completely covered and the car does not wipe...

Reactions: parsec
A few folks in other threads and sites have commented that they thought the wipers seemed a bit better with the latest update (2024.20.1). It's dry as a bone here in Central NJ so can't confirm personally.
Same here. I have no complains with wipers performance in 2024.20.1 release. They work better than my old BMW 325 with rain sensors.

Last edited:
Have 24.20.3, and see no real improvement. Still getting false positives and yesterday the wipers remained at a slow interval while it was coming down in buckets. Again, I needed to override “auto” and set manually.

In some ways, the auto wipers seem to be getting worse, as I don’t remember needing to up the tempo manually because of hard rain.

Just my experience.

the clear blue sky wipes when using TACC is super dumb. EVERY single time our '20 Model Y is put into TACC the auto wipers is set to auto (even though we have turned off auto, because they don't effing work), and then it proceeds to wipe a dry windshield. it's completely obvious the system doesn't work. at all. nor has it ever worked right! damn, tesla, get an 8 year clue already!

the ONLY time auto wipers work even a tiny bit is non-darkness, medium downpour below 60 MPH. and don't even get me started on when cars and large trucks especially, pass and road spray blinds you. yet the car happily drives on TACC like this and auto wipers will not turn on. so incredibly dangerous. seriously.

we won't use autopilot so no data for that.

I’ve just come to the conclusion that, like FSD, auto wipers aren’t for those who may have control issues. Baby steps I guess. Would be nice to have infinite wiper settings, or perhaps an option to customize a setting? Also still trying to adapt to the fluid spray “dribble”, while thinking..it has to be broken. Who knew proprietary stuff would be so hard?!

Reactions: drb3333
AHHH..I now get the wiper thing! Hasn't happened before, but happened twice yesterday, a single wipe, streaking the dried up "stuff" that will only come off in a hight power car wash for some reason. I don't like the idea of updates and "bug" fixes in a vehicle, but figure it's what I bought into..a giant mobile phone on wheels, and something completely "different". They've have had long enough, and at this point I'm starting to think that it's an issue that can't be fixed, otherwise, it would have. Ah well, maybe 2025 when perhaps hardware, and software, will exist in harmony..maybe.. At least we can see better around corners now!;)

I'm starting to think that it's an issue that can't be fixed
I tend to think, based on my experience only, that it can be fixed but, for some reason, Tesla chooses not to. Two years with the car now and initially auto wipers were stupid. Then an update fixed them. Perfect for a year. Then another update broke them worse than ever before. So bad they were totally useless. Then during my free FSD trial, they were just great. Immediately after the trial ended they went stupid again. Makes me wonder....

Do those that have FSD get better auto wiper function?

Why wouldn't you want updates and bug fixes?
My car seems bug free enough that it gets down the road without making me crash and it charges. That's how they should be sold!

If they can't provide an update bug free I don't want it. Simple.

The one bug free update I would really like is nixing the self driving interference even when I have nothing engaged.

AHHH..I now get the wiper thing! Hasn't happened before, but happened twice yesterday, a single wipe, streaking the dried up "stuff" that will only come off in a hight power car wash for some reason. I don't like the idea of updates and "bug" fixes in a vehicle, but figure it's what I bought into..a giant mobile phone on wheels, and something completely "different". They've have had long enough, and at this point I'm starting to think that it's an issue that can't be fixed, otherwise, it would have. Ah well, maybe 2025 when perhaps hardware, and software, will exist in harmony..maybe.. At least we can see better around corners now!;)
From what i have read, they removed the good old, tried and tested rain sensor from Tesla's from 2016.

I tend to agree with you, if they have not been able to get it working in software between 2016 and now, it's probably because it can't be done.

My car seems bug free enough that it gets down the road without making me crash and it charges. That's how they should be sold!

If they can't provide an update bug free I don't want it. Simple.

The one bug free update I would really like is nixing the self driving interference even when I have nothing engaged.
I would like it if they atleast made the AP so that it did not nag about holding the steering wheel when i was on the motorway in a queue going 5-10 miles per hour.

I mean, if it is not able to do that without me having to yank the steering wheel every 15 seconds it must be pretty awful to be honest.

I would like it if they atleast made the AP so that it did not nag about holding the steering wheel when i was on the motorway in a queue going 5-10 miles per hour.

I mean, if it is not able to do that without me having to yank the steering wheel every 15 seconds it must be pretty awful to be honest.
I've actually found the opposite - the time between 'nags' (on regular AP, as I don't have FSD) has dramatically decreased over the past couple of years. That said, I don't really use it in heavy traffic, just when everything is moving along. I find it too slow to respond when the traffic starts to move, leaving a large gap (regardless of the following distance setting). Here in the Northeast US, any size gap means that drivers will cut in front of you.... And we can't have that. :cool:

ank the steering wheel every 15 seconds

the time between 'nags' (on regular AP, as I don't have FSD) has dramatically decreased over the past couple of years
Wow, decreased from 15 seconds? Like every 5 seconds or so? That's terrible.

I don't have FSD either, lately I only get a nag every 1 to 2 minutes when using Autosteer. I'm on the same version software as you.

I've actually found the opposite - the time between 'nags' (on regular AP, as I don't have FSD) has dramatically decreased over the past couple of years. That said, I don't really use it in heavy traffic, just when everything is moving along. I find it too slow to respond when the traffic starts to move, leaving a large gap (regardless of the following distance setting). Here in the Northeast US, any size gap means that drivers will cut in front of you.... And we can't have that. :cool:
Ooops, I meant 'dramatically increased'....