Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 Upgrade for Exisiting Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is the real question. is there a list or a way to find out what is IN the car that is delivered? does any one track what is on a car produced today and tomorrow, etc. and if so if autopilot required hardware is installed on such or such a date does that mean that each model x after that has advanced hardware? even though software may not have been released. BTW my order finalizes this thursday but have asked for delivery mid november. so does that mean production should be october?

If someone is spotting a customer S or X with new hardware that would mean that all subsequent production have it, it would make no sense to make constant changes on the manufacturing line.

The only way to find out would be for all owners to check themselves at delivery - one of the most obvious change should be the presence of more than one camera on the windshield. If you are motivated and live close to a Tesla delivery center (or if you are highly motivated and live far from one ;-) you can also save precious days by inspecting all new cars in the parking lot before they are delivered - just look at their VIN numbers to get a sense at when they've been manufactured. I did the same on one of the first few refresh S that came on Paramus NJ parking lot when rumor was AP 2.0 would be on them...

and yes @psgabin if you asked for delivery in Nov yours wont' be built before early October. You will know by then if is has new stuff on it or not.

@ohmman Maybe yours was like a guinea pig of sorts, or they were too happy to have more time to fix all of those early Xs ;-)

Now it may work for few days or weeks but it would not make financial sense to pay for all the material and labor to build a car that would be delivered 2 months later, let alone the cost of storage. Gives me the idea to go and check on the various trackers out there (slow day at work).

is there a list or a way to find out what is IN the car that is delivered? does any one track what is on a car produced today and tomorrow, etc
Obviously Tesla tracks that and knows exactly what is in each car down to the smallest part. Tesla is not going to share that much details with anyone outside Tesla, including customers. So no one outside of Tesla can accurately track that sort of information. All outsiders can do is read TMC and see when new features show up on delivered cars.
if autopilot required hardware is installed on such or such a date does that mean that each model x after that has advanced hardware?
Probably.

I dream of a scenario where my Signature X P90D is actually sporting a 100kWh battery, and it will be software unlocked as well as AP 2.0 hardware retrofit for free because we are Signature Owners (I currently own 5 Teslas and historically have owned 8) :p

• Funny
Reactions: Stasla
I suppose unless you buy signature they are no pros for being an early adopter. (Unless you were lucky enough to get the active spoiler, that I missed by a week!!!!!)

I have a feeling there are several SigX owners that don't look at their early production vehicles as a *pro* based on several posts I have read/owners I have talked with about their vehicles.:oops:

I've always felt that Signature reservations were not worth it, especially if one reserved on the first day they started taking reservations (I did for both the S and X). Partly because options were limited (some were forced on you whether you wanted them or not) and partly due to initial quality. Not to mention, being forced to take a lower-range (higher performance) model when range is more important than performance to some.

I transferred my S reservation to the X and I did end up switching to a Signature for the X, which may have ended up saving me some money. I think it's better to be a Signature holder outside the US because a lot of problems are sorted out by the time they start exporting, but I don't think I would get a Signature if I lived in the US. I think it's a moot point since moving forward, there may no longer be a Signature option.

I am on my last day of ordering 60d X

I am concerned with autopilot 2.0 rumors and quickly depreciating the car that tesla makes it almost impossible to lease vs purchase (info for another thread) so does it make sense to cancel my order and redo it buying me another 7 days. It still says late sept delivery on order page. I really want it by first week of Oct (getting married). Is this a reasonable thing to do? If there wasn't really a date I needed it by what would stop someone from keep redoing there order if they cared that much about hardware rumors?

I had similar qualms before I got my 75D. With Tesla there's always an minor or even a major update down the pike and it's impossible to time your order "just right" I had 90D confirmed 2 days before they announced 70D will be 75D instead with only a 20 mile range difference. Paid the $500 change fee to bump down to 75D and not regretting it. Personally, I think the software locked 60D option is an amazing value and I would have gotten that instead, if it was available. I now think of my 75 as an unlocked 60 :p

Bottom line, the car is next level stuff. You will enjoy it, don't worry about what's coming later. Waiting for AP2, AP3, new/updated this and that only means you are not driving the dream that much longer.

Plus you can always trade in/upgrade in a couple of years when AP4.5 is out if it matters that much to you ;)

Pull the trigger and enjoy! And if you haven't used a referral on your order to get $1000 off - I here's my code, your DS should be able to add it even after the Order confirms: Referral | Tesla :oops:

I am on my last day of ordering 60d X

I am concerned with autopilot 2.0 rumors and quickly depreciating the car that tesla makes it almost impossible to lease vs purchase (info for another thread) so does it make sense to cancel my order and redo it buying me another 7 days. It still says late sept delivery on order page. I really want it by first week of Oct (getting married). Is this a reasonable thing to do? If there wasn't really a date I needed it by what would stop someone from keep redoing there order if they cared that much about hardware rumors?