Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 Upgrade for Exisiting Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I took my first Tesla test drive, the one thing that impressed me the most was what a pleasure it was to drive. I was impressed by the styling, the wide screen tv, and Jarvis updating himself while I slept, but the biggest draw to me was the low CG, the performance, and how well it carved a turn. I didn't care about AP, but now I am anxious for our MS AP delivery which includes,,,,, well includes whatever comes with it.

Today, technology moves so quickly that if you want to stay current, you have to adopt my old plan. My wife has been instructed that while on my death bed, she should buy me a new computer, phone, camera, etc. (and now a Tesla). That way I can die up to date with all the right stuff. But if you are not ready to depart this world, take a breath, relax, and realize that the next big thing is always coming. It is just out of sight, but you know it is coming fast. It is a folly to spend too much time trying to be sure you don't miss the next wave.

In the good old days cars were built to a certain specification and, except for deterioration, remained as such. We only had to worry about new models once a year. Thank you Tesla for changing that paradigm. And darn you for giving us so much to fret about! Now, please do a real nice job building my Model S. I am looking forward to driving it. And occasionally, I may let Jarvis have a turn at the controls.

Drive Safe.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman and Stasla
With AP 2.0, what are the chances they charge an additional amount for level 3 autonomy with a guarantee like Volvo? Tesla has a decent job of keeping prior owners' values up despite constant improvements and battery cost reductions.

It is 100% sure, that fully autonomous driving is not possible with current hardware. Elon himself has said that.
I venture to say that fully autonomous driving (level 4, maybe even level 3) will not be possible with AP 2.0 hardware as well. This is a work in progress and may take more than two versions before something that is fully autonomous is released to the public. Not even sure the hardware/software/a.i. is capable yet..

Reactions: ohmman and Matias
I venture to say that fully autonomous driving (level 4, maybe even level 3) will not be possible with AP 2.0 hardware as well. This is a work in progress and may take more than two versions before something that is fully autonomous is released to the public. Not even sure the hardware/software/a.i. is capable yet..
I would be very surprised if AP 2.0 took us to point-to-point autonomy. I mean, we just finally got a computer to beat a human at Go, which has a strict set of rules.

I know, not a valid comparison. But it makes my point sound better!

How do you explain all of Elon's Tweets on using EXISTING autopilot hardware for new features??

What's to explain?

I have no doubt Tesla will release a few more firmware updates that expand the functionality of current AP cars. They aren't promising full autonomy in those updates.

However, they've been quite clear that full autonomy is the long term goal, and also that the current package won't get there.

Therefore, at some point they must release a more extensive sensor package, which may or may not be retrofitable to older cars - the subject of all the speculation on this thread.

While I'm not gonna guarantee it, I wouldn't be surprised. Even with all the necessary sensor inputs for full autonomy, making more and more intelligent decisions require more and more computing power. I actually don't know how much further they can take current autopilot with software, since more image analysis, etc. just might be too much for the hardware they have. Typically you size the hardware to the algorithm you're running on it (because you can make specialized hardware that runs specific algorithms - like image analysis - for far cheaper than a much more powerful general purpose processor that would be needed to match the specialized hardware), and I don't know how much headroom Tesla left themselves to be able to run software that hasn't been written yet.

While I don't feel any sort of entitlement to an upgrade, and I'm certainly not holding my breath for an upgrade, there is an unmentioned reason they might. Tesla has significant incentive (more than other auto makers) to maintain the residual value of vehicles. Tesla has offered guarantees of residual values, and has a very high percentage of leases that they need to turn around and sell again. If AutoPilot 2.0 provides a larger increase in residual value than the cost to upgrade, then they have a vested interest in developing an upgrade.

Along this same line of thinking though, I've often thought Tesla should offer an upgrade to turn RWD 85s into P85Ds with the addition of the front motor....but they obviously haven't done that either.

How do you explain all of Elon's Tweets on using EXISTING autopilot hardware for new features??
Features can be subtle GUI changes (like showing actual angle of surrounding traffic), or functional features that use the same set of hardware in new ways (like exiting the highway at a ramp using the turn signal). I bet there is more that AP 1.0 can actually do but AP 2.0 will do more reliably with new hardware.

For those of you that purchased your X, what do you plan on doing once autopilot 2.0 is out along with a 100kwh battery?

1) Nothing
2) Retrofit, if it exist
3) Trade in immediately
4) Wait for a redesign, 3 years or so

Full autonomy requires redundancy. And that isn't for just sensors/CPUs. You also need to have redundant electric steering/braking controls. I know Elon said that they were working towards that with suppliers for the Model 3. But I don't know about the steering rack and iBooster brakes in the Model S/X. So until you see changes in the hardware there you aren't going to get to Level 4. (And I haven't heard any rumors about AP 2.0 including that additional hardware.)

For those of you that purchased your X, what do you plan on doing once autopilot 2.0 is out along with a 100kwh battery?

1) Nothing
2) Retrofit, if it exist
3) Trade in immediately
4) Wait for a redesign, 3 years or so

Option 1, possibly 2 (if cost is reasonable and new features are substantial). As it stands, my MX does what I need/want it to do with AP 1.0