Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 Upgrade for Exisiting Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought AP 1.0 as a toy and don't use it much at all. No loss for me except for the $$ out.

As far as the 100 kWh battery. Not enough of a change to make any substantive difference in my return trip commutes or long trips. Give me 140-150 kWh and then we can talk.

For those of you that purchased your X, what do you plan on doing once autopilot 2.0 is out along with a 100kwh battery?

1) Nothing
2) Retrofit, if it exist
3) Trade in immediately
4) Wait for a redesign, 3 years or so

For just AP2.0 - 2, depending on price. $5k or less, immediately. $5k-10k, I'd have to think about it. More than that, just wait. For 100kWh battery, it depends on the question. If I suddenly found out that my 90kWh battery is actually a software locked 100kWh battery, I think I'd pay anywhere from $3k-6k to unlock it. If instead it's a battery swap, probably nothing - I would expect something like that to cost in excess of $10k.

Came across this video, hopefully we have some hope for a retrofit:

Interesting. The dual housing was hardly news, but this video does show the Xs (or at least his X) are prewired for something more - hopefully the same thing that Tesla is actually going to introduce sometime soonish.

The other thing that I thought was interesting is that he thinks the connectors for the cameras are coax. If the car used the same setup as early AP Ss do, the Mobileye Q3 would be attached to the back of the camera, and connected to car power there and to the CANBus for controlling the car. If the connection is in fact the coax he thinks it is, it suggests that the mobileye chip (or whatever else is in the same role?) is located somewhere else.

Very interesting, and the first concrete evidence I've seen that the X AP system is fundamentally different from the S. Kinda makes you wonder if the Q3 is still in the windshield enclosure on the Refresh Ss... :)

Not my video, just found it on YouTube
This is better news for the retrofit hopefuls, harness seems to be present, dual coax plug going to dual coax cables upstream. Processing power may be sufficient in existing chipset for AP 2.0, if that is the case 2.0 update may just be to sensors/radar/camera/software. Retrofit in this case will require a new windshield as well. Still not holding my breath for a retrofit. Just proof that this Model X generation will be outfitted with AP 2.0 at some point and will use existing wiring harness.

This is better news for the retrofit hopefuls, harness seems to be present, dual coax plug going to dual coax cables upstream. Processing power may be sufficient in existing chipset for AP 2.0, if that is the case 2.0 update may just be to sensors/radar/camera/software. Retrofit in this case will require a new windshield as well. Still not holding my breath for a retrofit. Just proof that this Model X generation will be outfitted with AP 2.0 at some point and will use existing wiring harness.

You forget the need for more processing power / MCU upgrade. If this "AP 2.0" includes the narrow AI Elon mentioned, along with the rumor of the nVidia Drive PX2 on board then there is no way it fits on the windshield like EyeQ3 today. Must be sitting elsewhere with a lot of power and cooling. Question for the new S owners would be if the similar harnesses are present i.e. post refresh.

You forget the need for more processing power / MCU upgrade. If this "AP 2.0" includes the narrow AI Elon mentioned, along with the rumor of the nVidia Drive PX2 on board then there is no way it fits on the windshield like EyeQ3 today. Must be sitting elsewhere with a lot of power and cooling. Question for the new S owners would be if the similar harnesses are present i.e. post refresh.

If the video is correct and those are coax cables, it seems unlikely that the X has the EyeQ3 on the windshield. Having the computer separated from the camera may or may not make the upgrade easier.

very interesting what is your Vin number or production date for this model x because then every model x after that date should be similarly equipped also how difficult to move headliner and then fit back?
All Model Xs are wired this way.

The current Model X MCU is not located on the windshield. Thus swapping out the current MCU for an upgraded MCU is a function of labor (time) and hardware (does Tesla add multiple EyeQ3 chips or develop their own?). It is highly unlikely (basically impossible) for Tesla to use the nVidia Drive PX2 chip. nVidia chips are not compatible with the Mobile Eye System.

Last edited:
The article is referring to the same video above. I do not think it holds water given they earlier said it needs a triple camera in front, and the wiring and the housing electrek has discovered supports only an additional camera on top of existing one. So it seems more like an AP 1.5 Retrofit which i guess they would need for Firmware 8.0.
The triple-camera solution doesn't necessarily need to be all in the rear view mirror unit. There is no reason why the third camera couldn't be located somewhere near the front bumper (this location would provide better visibility around corners).

• Informative
Reactions: krazineurons
The triple-camera solution doesn't necessarily need to be all in the rear view mirror unit. There is no reason why the third camera couldn't be located somewhere near the front bumper (this location would provide better visibility around corners).
The article's premise was that retro fit seems most likely given the new findings in the video, i am wondering how easy would it be to retrofit a camera from the front bumper? Or perhaps go the Volvo way, sticking a camera right inside their logo on the hood.

I had similar qualms before I got my 75D. With Tesla there's always an minor or even a major update down the pike and it's impossible to time your order "just right" I had 90D confirmed 2 days before they announced 70D will be 75D instead with only a 20 mile range difference. Paid the $500 change fee to bump down to 75D and not regretting it. Personally, I think the software locked 60D option is an amazing value and I would have gotten that instead, if it was available. I now think of my 75 as an unlocked 60 :p

Bottom line, the car is next level stuff. You will enjoy it, don't worry about what's coming later. Waiting for AP2, AP3, new/updated this and that only means you are not driving the dream that much longer.

Plus you can always trade in/upgrade in a couple of years when AP4.5 is out if it matters that much to you ;)

Pull the trigger and enjoy! And if you haven't used a referral on your order to get $1000 off - I here's my code, your DS should be able to add it even after the Order confirms: Referral | Tesla :oops:

Here is a rumored update on the AP
Tesla Autopilot 2.0: retrofit to next gen sensors likely to be available for some owners

Yes, this is the missing puzzle piece. what capabilities are coming with 2.0 and how much more processing power is needed. I was hoping for a plug and play solution which seems more plausible since they were forward thinking enough to prepare the wiring harness for future upgrades. Also, the dual camera windshield looks to have horizontal markers in the space where the second camera will fit, these markings are only on one side for the AP 1.0 windshields. So, I'm less optimistic about a retrofit, but who knows, the retrofit price may include a new windshield too, I know a lot of owners with ghosting issues may not mind that if the retrofit gives them ghost free glass.

Here is the thing for me. When I pushed the buy button last winter, Tesla was talking about autopilot being in beta. It was called autopilot and not driver assist. The assumption was that it would come out of beta and become the real thing at some point. The whole software upgrade thing further gave me the feeling that the hardware was sufficient and at some point the software would catch up to allow true autopilot. Now I accept that the next level might be pretty good with current sensors and V8.0 as implied by many threads and questionable leaks. I do feel that if within 6-8 months of my ordering a car there is a substantial hardware upgrade that was not telegraphed in advance then I have been gullible to believe the soft claims of the marketing and such. If Tesla is going to substantially revamp the hardware this quickly, then they must have had some internal inkling this was going to happen several months ago. This has been in the plans for a while. Therefore it seems reasonable to have some type of upgrade path in place and I would hope the wiring and things that are hard to retrofit are already in place.

The key to me is that Level 3 or 4 is a huge jump in functionality and presumably safety. Are current X owners relegated to permanent beta status and what does the non-beta Autopilot look like for us. When Tesla gave us a beta feature last fall, what was the implied final product that is called "autopilot" exactly?

The original S was not sold with "autopilot" as a feature. My X was marketed that way and I personally hope there is an upgrade path of some sort.

I agree with your assessment. My concern is that the sensor suite they deployed isn't adequate enough to do Level 2 well, as I was occasionally seeing "ghost vehicles" where there were none, so I turned the collision warning features off, and don't use the AP much unless I feel like being hyper-vigilant. It's possible that better filtering or integration of sensor and camera data can help fix these problems, but my gut is that there isn't adequate sensor information or camera processing power to tackle this admittedly hard problem. I'm eager to see what 8.0 brings in this respect.

The "forward thinking" of cable and harnesses been there may have less to do with the possibility of a retrofit than to minimize disruption on the assembly line, ie as soon as the new hardware is here there is minimal time needed to adjust. They may have done this for the S when they stopped the line to accomodate for the facelift and increase Xs output. Dream still alive though :cool: