Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 Upgrade for Exisiting Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "forward thinking" of cable and harnesses been there may have less to do with the possibility of a retrofit than to minimize disruption on the assembly line, ie as soon as the new hardware is here there is minimal time needed to adjust. They may have done this for the S when they stopped the line to accomodate for the facelift and increase Xs output. Dream still alive though :cool:

Even if that was their thinking, it means that one of the traditionally hardest and most expensive parts of a retrofit is taken care of for you - provided that the final hardware matches the current extra wiring.

@ohmman so your opinion about the FWD did no change over time, mesmerized but then not convinced of their value?
My doors work better now than they did when I took delivery of the car, though it's going back in on Monday for the falling door issue (among other things). I didn't start off mesmerized really, I've just never been a fan. We're learning to work around the nuances of the doors but I still don't personally get much benefit, having kids that buckle themselves into the back seat and usually only kids riding in the 3rd row.

@ohmman Doors working better after time spent in SC or through software update? Tesla just lend us one to try for a day today ; I can see the advantage with our little guy (he's 4) but yes for older kids not that much.
A little of both. After this next SC visit, I hope they're working "as designed". That will remove the issues with the doors popping and twanging, and with them falling on their own.

The software update for indoor/outdoor mode and buffering overhead obstacles is helpful, as is the "always open fully in this location" setting. I reconfigured my garage doors with a jackshaft opener, and now the corner of the falcon wing clears my head. That's a big help.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5

I feel like this is like trying to upgrade your PC these days. By the time you think about upgrading the parts, so much has changed that it just doesn't make sense from a cost / performance perspective. Of course the big difference is that your old PC has very little resale value whereas one would hope a $100k+ car has some left in it. I doubt that doing the upgrades would really boost your resale value that much though. Seems like you are probably better off selling it (or completing the lease) and getting the new best thing. Holding out as long as possible between purchases, of course.

For those of you that purchased your X, what do you plan on doing once autopilot 2.0 is out along with a 100kwh battery?

1) Nothing
2) Retrofit, if it exist
3) Trade in immediately
4) Wait for a redesign, 3 years or so

For those of you that purchased your X, what do you plan on doing once autopilot 2.0 is out along with a 100kwh battery?

1) Nothing
2) Retrofit, if it exist
3) Trade in immediately
4) Wait for a redesign, 3 years or so

Well, ours was just confirmed early August so hopefully 1/ Nothing ;-)

That been said if it is announced right before it's delivered I'd certainly look at changing the order and paying the fee.

On a side note we have a loaner today - a 90D VIN 70xx. Had a quick look and the cables and harnesses are here like in the video.

Coming from an Infiniti with the around view monitor feature (4 cams on all sides: rear hatch, grille, and bottom of each rear view mirror - all 4 images stitched together with the car icon in the middle, right on the screen) I have to say I sorely miss this in my X75D. Being able to see all around the car when parking, I used to efforlessly park in the tightest of parallel spots (NYC) with my gigantic qx56 and most importantly, I could always see how close I was to the curb - both front and rear wheels, which is simply impossible with just the front/rear sensors, even if the mirrors tilt down in reverse - always worried I'll mess up sidewalls and rims.

It would be a very welcome feature on the future Teslas for me. Was actually hoping they'd do it on the X from the get go, but no such luck..

The article's premise was that retro fit seems most likely given the new findings in the video, i am wondering how easy would it be to retrofit a camera from the front bumper? Or perhaps go the Volvo way, sticking a camera right inside their logo on the hood.

Coming from an Infiniti with the around view monitor feature (4 cams on all sides: rear hatch, grille, and bottom of each rear view mirror - all 4 images stitched together with the car icon in the middle, right on the screen) I have to say I sorely miss this in my X75D. Being able to see all around the car when parking, I used to efforlessly park in the tightest of parallel spots (NYC) with my gigantic qx56 and most importantly, I could always see how close I was to the curb - both front and rear wheels, which is simply impossible with just the front/rear sensors, even if the mirrors tilt down in reverse - always worried I'll mess up sidewalls and rims.

It would be a very welcome feature on the future Teslas for me. Was actually hoping they'd do it on the X from the get go, but no such luck..
That's why the car parks itself.

I honestly think this is this largest remaining feature gap that other brands do but Tesla doesn't.

That's why the car parks itself.

Yeah, that's been spotty for me - can't completely rely on autopark 100% of the time. A few things at play here:

1. Spot has to be between 2 cars for the prompt to trigger. If the empty spot for parallel parking is between a parked car and a hydrant - you're SOL it won't prompt for autopark. Similarly for perpendicular, has to be between 2 cars. I like to park at least 1 spot over from the nearest car so that the chances of getting a ding or a scratch on my beloved Tesla are minimized. Hence, most of the time for me engaging it in perpendicular spots it's useless, unless it's a real busy lot with very few spots. Even in those cases - see #2 below.

2. Car doesn't always see the spot - autopark prompting is spotty at best.

3. You have to completely pass the spot before it prompts, so if you are on a busy 1 way street with a sh!t ton of angry traffic behind you, no one will wanna wait for your autopark shenanigans - they will push up on you and you will have to keep driving forward, thereby loosing the spot. NYC driving/parking at its best!

4. Even perpendicular autopark leaves much to be desired - once every 15-20 times when I pull up to my driveway I'll get the prompt, and every time I engage autopark the car does a half assed attempt at trying to pull in. Most of the time it takes a couple of tries for it to steer into the driveway going back and forth a few times to adjust the approach angle. During this maneuvering it rolls out half way through the street and if there are cars coming up or down, I have to manually stop it, since my car does not see them and I don't wanna be clipped. The best, most fun part is when it says it's done - the car is sitting diagonally, half way into the driveway with the front well on the sidewalk, even a foot or so past it into the street.

TL;DR: Autopark is great, but not 100% consistent. Car has to learn and will certainly get better over time, plus software updates down the line should keep improving it, but as of now it can't be relied on 100% of the time. Still wishing for a 4-way cam system. Nifty party trick though - when autopark works, people are surely impressed!

• Informative
Reactions: KaiserSoze
Yeah, that's been spotty for me - can't completely rely on autopark 100% of the time. A few things at play here:

1. Spot has to be between 2 cars for the prompt to trigger. If the empty spot for parallel parking is between a parked car and a hydrant - you're SOL it won't prompt for autopark. Similarly for perpendicular, has to be between 2 cars. I like to park at least 1 spot over from the nearest car so that the chances of getting a ding or a scratch on my beloved Tesla are minimized. Hence, most of the time for me engaging it in perpendicular spots it's useless, unless it's a real busy lot with very few spots. Even in those cases - see #2 below.

2. Car doesn't always see the spot - autopark prompting is spotty at best.

3. You have to completely pass the spot before it prompts, so if you are on a busy 1 way street with a sh!t ton of angry traffic behind you, no one will wanna wait for your autopark shenanigans - they will push up on you and you will have to keep driving forward, thereby loosing the spot. NYC driving/parking at its best!

4. Even perpendicular autopark leaves much to be desired - once every 15-20 times when I pull up to my driveway I'll get the prompt, and every time I engage autopark the car does a half assed attempt at trying to pull in. Most of the time it takes a couple of tries for it to steer into the driveway going back and forth a few times to adjust the approach angle. During this maneuvering it rolls out half way through the street and if there are cars coming up or down, I have to manually stop it, since my car does not see them and I don't wanna be clipped. The best, most fun part is when it says it's done - the car is sitting diagonally, half way into the driveway with the front well on the sidewalk, even a foot or so past it into the street.

TL;DR: Autopark is great, but not 100% consistent. Car has to learn and will certainly get better over time, plus software updates down the line should keep improving it, but as of now it can't be relied on 100% of the time. Still wishing for a 4-way cam system. Nifty party trick though - when autopark works, people are surely impressed!
5. In order to "see" the spot, you have to be near that side. Which gives you a suboptimal angle in the first place for perpendicular.
6. It's about 10x slower than confidently parking yourself.

Basically, I use it as a party trick or the rare occasion that it's a VERY tight spot, and there isn't a lot of other traffic to frustrate while it's taking its sweet time.

I honestly think this is this largest remaining feature gap that other brands do but Tesla doesn't.
I would love a HUD on my X. Driving a civic right now and test driven the BMW X5, driving both S and X, i constantly felt the need to see the information at my eye level, be it the speed or the navigation directions (civic doesn't show directions).

On the Tesla, looking down behind the steering column every time for any piece of information felt awkward and not industry defying

Reactions: Stasla
The Nvidia Tegra 3 located in the MCU is not used for any AP processing. The only role it has is serving the data tiles to augment AP's function. It's non-critical. You can test this yourself by rebooting it while AP is driving. The car keeps right on going, with no problem.

On the X, the Mobileye EyeQ3 processor is located in the dash behind the glovebox. This module is called the DAS ECU. (Driver Assistance ECU) They wanted to reduce the big glob of plastic in the middle of the X's amazing panoramic windshield, so they get the processor out of there. The camera does indeed connect to the DAS ECU by a co-ax cable.

I do not think Tesla will offer a retrofit. They seem to want you to trade in your current car and upgrade, so they keep coming up with carrots as inducement. I doubt they will change this M.O., but I suppose anything is possible.

The Tegra 3 used in the MCU in both the S and X is on a daughterboard. They could easily upgrade this and offer retrofits to existing owners, but again, I doubt they will.

Especially right now, the bulk of Tesla's engineering effort is directed toward the Model 3, not coming up with more ways to burden the already overloaded service center network.

I do not think Tesla will offer a retrofit. They seem to want you to trade in your current car and upgrade, so they keep coming up with carrots as inducement. I doubt they will change this M.O., but I suppose anything is possible.
Normally I would agree but with all the attention and negative press about AP 1.0, I wonder if they would not go out of their way to retrofit older cars. It could be a liability if they did not, especially if AP 2.0 is significantly safer and eliminates some safety issues that were inherent in AP 1.0.

Also when people get a Beta of something, the expectation is that there will be a gold version available to replace it. I know that beta sw is not the same thing as a fully hw/sw solution like AP, but Tesla is the one that went there with this term.

Normally I would agree but with all the attention and negative press about AP 1.0, I wonder if they would not go out of their way to retrofit older cars. It could be a liability if they did not, especially if AP 2.0 is significantly safer and eliminates some safety issues that were inherent in AP 1.0.

Also when people get a Beta of something, the expectation is that there will be a gold version available to replace it. I know that beta sw is not the same thing as a fully hw/sw solution like AP, but Tesla is the one that went there with this term.
The issue is that when AP 2.0 rolls out, I don't think it's the sensors that are going to be the limiting factor. Initially both AP 1.0 and 2.0 hardware will behave the same, and probably will do so for over a year. Perhaps a year after AP 2.0 rolls out, the software may catch up and begin to offer additional features that AP 1.0 vehicles won't be able to take advantage of.

Therefore, Tesla may decide to down-play the hardware upgrades or even keep them quiet for some time.

This was one of the primary reasons for our choosing a lease over a purchase (the second was tax purposes). After 6 months of ownership there are already advances in battery and AP tech which I would consider as substantial improvements in the car.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my X, and it will still be a great car when our lease is up. But I am also excited to see what the next 30 months will bring in cool new features that will all be rolled into our next one.

This board is so interesting to read at times. Overall, AP2, battery improvements, etc are all just incremental at this point. The MS/MX are already about 95%+ of what everyone needs. New battery tech, +10kWh more, +20, etc only add like 20 miles here, 30-40 miles. Range that you only need about 1% of the time IMHO. AP1.0 does a great job already and is more than most people need, if you actually enjoy driving. AP2.0 won't do some new blowout functionality likely, reliably just yet.

I think the MS/MX we have now is a great build, for this time period of now through about 5-7 years perhaps. At that point I'd maybe expect enough advancements to be made in autonomy, regulations, to have the cars do something we may really need - i.e. driverless completely, or so. For now, they are great/comfy/fun cars to actually drive - battery takes us just about anywhere, and AP's does well when want to use.

Seems like the S & X models are resembling iPhones lately - nothing TOO revolutionary for a few years gap.