TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AutoPilot 2.0

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by apharris, Aug 22, 2016.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Quote from that article: "In conclusion. Tesla has everything in place to offer a retrofit, likely at a cost, for the new front-facing camera setup, and if the company feels ambitious, it could also offer new radar sensors, but it is less likely."

Since the (supposedly upcoming) 4 additional radars at each corner of the vehicle, behind the bumpers, would also require cable connections that are unlikely to be on existing AP 1.0 vehicles, I would phrase the possibility of an AP 2.0 retrofit as "very unlikely" for any Tesla unless the company has been covertly installing new AP 2.0 compatible wiring harnesses in recently produced cars.

• Like x 1
  2. apharris

apharris Member

One more, from Aug 12th:

"Sources with knowledge of the Autopilot program told us that the new suite will keep the current front-facing radar and add more around the car, likely one in each corner. Additionally, the system will feature a new front-facing triple camera system for which we are told Tesla started installing new housing in the Model S production this week."

3. Joel

Joel Active Member

Are you referring to Model S or Model X? If you remove a Model X bumper, there is access to the harness. I'm not sure about current Model S'

4. chillaban

chillaban Member

This is the first I've heard of under-bumper harnesses. Do you have a link describing this?

5. Joel

Joel Active Member

The collision shop had to remove my bumper to fix a minor dent. No link, just first hand knowledge.

• Informative x 1
  6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Well, we know from the video last week that Tesla is installing one disconnected wire in (every?) Model X up near the front camera that looks like another camera wire. If they're doing that, it seems reasonable to assume they're also wiring for whatever additional radar they have planned...

7. dehydratedH2O

dehydratedH2O Member

There's always a disconnected wire under the speaker grille in US Model S that's used for an alarm system in EU models. I wonder if that's the disconnected wire in the X.

8. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

My Model S went into production about 4 weeks ago. I am hoping it can accept AutoPilot 2.0 retrofit..

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The guy in the video says it looks like coax to him - whatever it is, it appears the same as the wiring to the current camera.

10. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

off note and right after the announcement of P100D Tesla configuration shows Autopilot option is now $3000, or +$500 vs before. Sign that new AP hardware is there...?

11. dehydratedH2O

dehydratedH2O Member

Likely more hidden radar/sonar, but I doubt they're going to start putting in visible hardware changes (more cameras) until they actually announce.

12. benemac

benemac Member

I'm not so sure. When we rec'd our car, there were cars already with new hardware and the person who walked us through the car features said that we had new tech on our car that others didn't. We learned 2 weeks later that we didn't when the announcement was official. Hopefully, they learned from that mistake. But I do think people have already received some new tech that will later serve for retrofits. Time will tell if other rumors are true and that cars being built now have new cameras. The $500 increase doesn't help in fueling these rumors.

13. Rahul

Rahul Member

I just met someone recently who mentioned he had an order in queue when AP 1.0 was first being installed and was given a call to ask if he wanted to spend an additional $500 to have the new hardware included. If AP 2.0 was being rolled out wouldn't we hear from current people with orders in queue about receiving phone calls?

• Informative x 1
  14. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

If that's the case then yes other calls would be made and will end up being reported here. Never heard of this so far - doubtful.

• Love x 1
  15. NicB72

NicB72 Member

I have November delivering of model S with autopilot and not had any phone call

16. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

I was just told by my DS that the $500 increase in AP is due to "improvements"...I naturally asked if this was hardware related, not just software and he basically shrugged his shoulders...

This probably means the $500 extra is due to significant improvements in software version 8.0 that is imminent....

17. bob_p

bob_p Member

Hopefully they're installing the AP 2.0 harness and housings, so that an upgrade to AP 2.0 would be reasonable.

AP 2.0 is likely going to cost more than an additional $500, if they are also adding a new processor dedicated to AP.

18. phaduman

phaduman Member

Guys - any update on this thread? I am thinking of picking up a car from inventory soon, and not sure how to go a out checking wither AP2.0 related h/w (or at least wiring) is pre-installed.

19. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Assume it isn't.

• Like x 2