Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Asking for Input Every 11 Seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I elaborated further on that the option to disable the interior camera is no longer there. So, I don't think that's it unless I'm missing where that setting went to.

Just did a test...interior cabin camera initiated "Please pay attention to the road" nag is....less than 11 seconds. So it looks like you may be doing more than just keeping your hands on your lap to trigger the nags. You may need to adjust your head posture/angle, if your head is tilted down but you are looking up it will probably trigger the nag.

I've tried the one hand resting on the bottom of the steering wheel. Doesn't seem to help unless I consciously induce movement. I'll have to try this again and time the nags. I don't expect Tesla to change its behaviour but I bet in 30 years people will be sitting in a comfortable, couch-like environment nowhere near the manual control. They'll be like "You had to jiggle the wheel?" "How quaint". Lol
(summary: if you learn how to hold the wheel, it's as comfortable as putting your hands in your lap AND you'll NEVER get nagged)

Just did a test...interior cabin camera initiated "Please pay attention to the road" nag is....less than 11 seconds. So it looks like you may be doing more than just keeping your hands on your lap to trigger the nags. You may need to adjust your head posture/angle, if your head is tilted down but you are looking up it will probably trigger the nag.
Whoa Good to know I'm not alone. Wonder if wearing sunglasses might be affecting its ability to determine attentiveness.

I elaborated further on that the option to disable the interior camera is no longer there. So, I don't think that's it unless I'm missing where that setting went to.
You can disable data analytics, but can't disable it completely. The only way is to manually block it, but it may create other issues.

I have owned a Tesla Model S since new in 2017. The numbers of sheer articles written about FSD-beta and Enhanced Auto-pilot crash is stupid and could've been prevented. Why? It's due to people not being attentive to the usability of what this tech is.

I think forcing folks to at least be in control by responding to this "annoyance" is key to having the media stop writing negative articles about Tesla autopilot system. Folks are still not attentive to the road, that is the key issue why crashes happens while on FSD or Enhance Auto-pilot. It's not at the level of autonomy, the drivers still need to be aware.
Seriously auto-steering (not FSD) has been in beta for nearly a decade! If Tesla is not confident enough to allow hands-free driving on open fwy, Tesla should stop selling Auto-steering option. I am on my 4th Tesla since 2014. I am positive that I will be on next vehicle before auto-steering is out of beta.

Reactions: QUBO
Seriously auto-steering (not FSD) has been in beta for nearly a decade! If Tesla is not confident enough to allow hands-free driving on open fwy, Tesla should stop selling Auto-steering option. I am on my 4th Tesla since 2014. I am positive that I will be on next vehicle before auto-steering is out of beta.
I guess I should chime in not all "beta" is the same, sometimes it is just used as a marketing word. Autosteer works just as good if not better than other "non-beta" systems from other manufacturers (according to reviewers that tested them), and personally I have no issues keeping my hands on the wheel as it was designed for.

The latest update from a few days ago is shite. Although I don't use it very often, FSD told me I needed both hands on the wheel and issued a warning. When I looked down to grab my coffee it issued a warning. When I looked down to place the coffee back in the cupholder it told me I wasn't paying attention and that self driving was cancelled for the rest of the trip. When I got to my destination an hour later it told me that if I get 4 more warnings, self-driving would be permanently disabled. Guess I'm back to driving with my knees when eating on a long drive.

Did you have your hand on the wheel when you looked away?

I tried looking up out the roof, down at the screen, out to the side. It doesn’t yell at me unless I stay looking away for at least 3-4 seconds. This is with one hand on the wheel. A quick glance does nothing.

Basically I haven’t seen any excessive nagging with the new update 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: zoomer0056
Did you have your hand on the wheel when you looked away?

I tried looking up out the roof, down at the screen, out to the side. It doesn’t yell at me unless I stay looking away for at least 3-4 seconds. This is with one hand on the wheel. A quick glance does nothing.

Basically I haven’t seen any excessive nagging with the new update 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes, I had one hand on the wheel I think. I took my time placing and removing the coffee so might have been more than a couple of seconds. Do you get the warnings with just one hand on the wheel?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yes, I had one hand on the wheel I think. I took my time placing and removing the coffee so might have been more than a couple of seconds. Do you get the warnings with just one hand on the wheel?
I haven’t gotten any more warnings than before the holiday update. Usually one hand on the wheel when cruising. But I'm actually holding the wheel as if I’m driving, not just barely touching it.

I guess I should chime in not all "beta" is the same, sometimes it is just used as a marketing word. Autosteer works just as good if not better than other "non-beta" systems from other manufacturers (according to reviewers that tested them), and personally I have no issues keeping my hands on the wheel as it was designed for.
You do realize that even with our hands on the wheels, Autopilot prompts flashing and kicks into disable without audio beep? Some of us have a light touch on the wheel. Autopilot is fooled by a dummy weight on the wheel but fails to register light human touch.

No matter how anyone spins it, we are no closer to getting out of Auto-steer beta than we were a decade ago. Not even talking about FSD.

Reactions: PassingLane
Before getting our Telsa I thought Autopilot and/or FSD was all about making the vehicle safer and assisting the driver with avoiding accidents. Now I see it as a more of a curiosity that nags you when you drive it like a regular old Corolla and in fact, it’s so determined not to help you, it will disable itself when you drive normally.

You do realize that even with our hands on the wheels, Autopilot prompts flashing and kicks into disable without audio beep? Some of us have a light touch on the wheel. Autopilot is fooled by a dummy weight on the wheel but fails to register light human touch.
This is a common misconception. The wheel does not respond to touch (it has neither capacitive nor resistive sensors), nor movement, it responds to rotational torque. Hanging one hand hanging on the wheel is probably the easiest to provide that torque (that's what the dummy weight simulates). With both hands on wheel, sometimes the hands cancel each other out, so a strategy that works is to resist any turning torque the car is applying (instead of moving the wheel, let the wheel move into your hands and resist that movement).

I've never had AP kick into disable without warning. Sometimes a visible warning pops up and I apply some torque to the wheel to dismiss it (you can also use the scroll wheel) or in worst case, it will reach the audio warning, but I always have plenty of time to apply torque to dismiss it.
No matter how anyone spins it, we are no closer to getting out of Auto-steer beta than we were a decade ago. Not even talking about FSD.
You missed my point, whether something is labeled beta or "Beta" has nothing to do with how the nag system works. It has more to do with how the system as whole performs (for example how well it handles curves, something Autosteer have been doing quite well for some time, compared to many "non-Beta" systems from other manufacturers).

Reactions: derotam and E90alex