Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having been in an accident where the airbags went off but were not needed, I personally like for them to be as selective as possible. In particular, if you are still moving after an impact, they can be problematic as they will obscure your vision briefly at a minimum. Do you feel that you would have had lesser injuries with an airbag deployment? Ultimately that is the real safety question IMO. An airbag that is not needed can be as dangerous as the crash itself.

Here's what I think happened, because it happened to me (no accident, I reacted quickly and correctly but it scared the sh!t out of me). I theorize that EAP was turned on and they were following behind a car. Their upper speed limit for EAP was set much higher than what speed they were going because the car they were following behind was going much slower. They disengaged EAP using the break at some point, maybe while going around the turn, but TACC was not disengaged. For whatever reason, maybe because of the turn, TACC no longer sensed the car in front of them and started to increase speed back up to the upper limit that was set when EAP was engaged.

I had this exact same thing happen to me while going around a curve. I was guilty of using EAP in an area I shouldn't have been. When I got to a turn I hit the break because EAP was taking me around it a little too quick. The moment I left off the break (EAP was no off) my car rapidly sped up. I glanced at the screen and quickly realized TACC was still on. Thankfully I was able to break in time and turn sharply because I was soon going around a pretty sharp turn at above 50 mph on a 30 mph road.

This is what I would guess happened to OP.

It sounds plausible, except that using the foot brake will turn off both TACC and AP. If this is not true I REALLY want to know, as its a base assumption. I would venture a guess that either regen was used to brake, or there was no foot pedal required, since the car in front slowed to a stop, TACC would have automatically stopped as well.

Reactions: MissyMcBee
It sounds plausible, except that using the foot brake will turn off both TACC and AP. If this is not true I REALLY want to know, as its a base assumption. I would venture a guess that either regen was used to brake, or there was no foot pedal required, since the car in front slowed to a stop, TACC would have automatically stopped as well.

It's hard to remember exactly what happened, besides that it happened, and happened over a month ago :)
I believe you're right that braking cancels both. It's possible I hit the EAP stalk to disengage which I believe leaves TACC on. It's also possible I simply took over control from EAP, which also leaves TACC on. One of the two is what likely happened to me and OP. I can ensure you, the car sped up on its own due to TACC being left on and I believe it no longer sensed the car in front of me due to the curve I was on.

It's hard to remember exactly what happened, besides that it happened, and happened over a month ago :)
I believe you're right that braking cancels both. It's possible I hit the EAP stalk to disengage which I believe leaves TACC on. It's also possible I simply took over control from EAP, which also leaves TACC on. One of the two is what likely happened to me and OP. I can ensure you, the car sped up on its own due to TACC being left on and I believe it no longer sensed the car in front of me due to the curve I was on.

Oh this sounds like what happened to me as well. Is tacc supposed to get disengaged when you hit the brakes?

If you use the brake pedal, TACC and Autosteer would be disabled.
  • Were you experiencing limited regen due to the cold? This could've allowed the car to accelerate if going downhill but the brakes would've worked if applied.
  • Was the road icy? If so, did you slide through the intersection?
  • Were you wearing snow boots? If so, maybe you were accidentally pushing the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.

Yes it is. Everything is supposed to disengaged when you hit the brakes.
Ok well, it definitely wasn’t disengaged in my scenario. There was still a blue circle around the max speed on the screen but the blue steering wheel was gone.

I was on the highway in some traffic, near a merge lane. I hit the brakes because a car merged in front of me and ap didn’t recognize it and then when I let go off the brake the car started speeding back up to the max I had set it for AP.

Now that I know exactly what to look for, I’ll make a video tonight to show to you all.

Reactions: Wharton
Ok well, it definitely wasn’t disengaged in my scenario. There was still a blue circle around the max speed on the screen but the blue steering wheel was gone.

I was on the highway in some traffic, near a merge lane. I hit the brakes because a car merged in front of me and ap didn’t recognize it and then when I let go off the brake the car started speeding back up to the max I had set it for AP.

Now that I know exactly what to look for, I’ll make a video tonight to show to you all.
I would take it to the SC right away if I were you. This is a fatal flaw and can be extremely dangerous.

Please do, if there is some bug here it would be really high priority to get resolved. If its a human error it would also be good to know that and teach others how to avoid.

Reactions: Wharton and shanif
Here's what I think happened, because it happened to me (no accident, I reacted quickly and correctly but it scared the sh!t out of me). I theorize that EAP was turned on and they were following behind a car. Their upper speed limit for EAP was set much higher than what speed they were going because the car they were following behind was going much slower. They disengaged EAP using the break at some point, maybe while going around the turn, but TACC was not disengaged. For whatever reason, maybe because of the turn, TACC no longer sensed the car in front of them and started to increase speed back up to the upper limit that was set when EAP was engaged.

I had this exact same thing happen to me while going around a curve. I was guilty of using EAP in an area I shouldn't have been. I was playing around with the feature because the car was very new to me. When I got to a turn I hit the break because EAP was taking me around it a little too quick. The moment I let off the break (EAP was now off) my car rapidly sped up. I glanced at the screen and quickly realized TACC was still on. Thankfully I was able to break in time and turn sharply because I was soon going around a pretty sharp turn at above 50 mph on a 30 mph road.

This is what I would guess happened to OP.

Doesn't AP2+ read speed limit signs? I thought AP1 did that. Anyway, it should have a level of geo-fencing that doesn't allow the "get up to speed" acceleration to happen on roads with slower MPH limits. If your speed was set at 75 on a 25mph road and it gooses it to try to get back up to speed, it'll put you in a ditch on a turn, as you said. Seems like logic could be built into the system to avoid that.

Anyway - claims like this will continue to be a headwind for EV drivers and insurance coverage. I'm surprised insurance companies don't ask if the vehicle has or does not have EAP on board and rate them differently. EV owners of all brands pay the price of Tesla crackups.

Doesn't AP2+ read speed limit signs? I thought AP1 did that. Anyway, it should have a level of geo-fencing that doesn't allow the "get up to speed" acceleration to happen on roads with slower MPH limits. If your speed was set at 75 on a 25mph road and it gooses it to try to get back up to speed, it'll put you in a ditch on a turn, as you said. Seems like logic could be built into the system to avoid that.
No AP2+ does not currently read speed limit signs. I'm not sure where the speed limit information it display comes from because there are many occasions where it's way off.

I have to admit sheepishly that I have triggered TACC accidentally with a single downward push of the AP control stalk, so I know it can happen. Luckily I was stopped with my foot on the brake, if not I would have lurched unexpectedly. You wouldnt be the first to trigger TACC when looking for the wipers either.

TACC can only be activated if a) the car detects another car in front of it or b) you are traveling at least 18 miles per hour.

So no you would not have lurched forward unexpectedly.

When I got to a turn I hit the break because EAP was taking me around it a little too quick. The moment I let off the break (EAP was now off) my car rapidly sped up. I glanced at the screen and quickly realized TACC was still on.
Wait a minute, pressing the brake disables TACC and EAP. Same as cruise control on an ICE car. Once you tap on the brakes cruise control immediately disabled. Yes, you can reactivate it by pressing a button, lever, etc. but no way it’s going to reactivate all by itself. And if it does, you have a very serious issue. I’d take it to the SC ASAP.

I'm guessing what happened was I took it off EAP via stalk and not break. Or I just took over the wheel. I don't honestly remember. But I know it did start to rapidly speed up around the turn and was at over 50 mph before I slowed it down. I've had it "race" on me a couple times sense, and it's always after I've turned EAP off and TACC was still on. I am not sure the process that has caused it because it's not something I was paying attention to going up to the moment. If it ever happens again I will make sure to document what exact steps I took. It would be great to have some of this data available to us even at an aggregated level so that we could tell what actions we took...but I'm sure would never happen due to legal ramifications.

I'm guessing what happened was I took it off EAP via stalk and not break. Or I just took over the wheel. I don't honestly remember. But I know it did start to rapidly speed up around the turn and was at over 50 mph before I slowed it down. I've had it "race" on me a couple times sense, and it's always after I've turned EAP off and TACC was still on. I am not sure the process that has caused it because it's not something I was paying attention to going up to the moment. If it ever happens again I will make sure to document what exact steps I took. It would be great to have some of this data available to us even at an aggregated level so that we could tell what actions we took...but I'm sure would never happen due to legal ramifications.

Either lifting the stalk or hitting the brake will disable both TACC and AutoSteer (what everyone keeps calling EAP). If you just turn the wheel then you only disable AutoSteer but not TACC.

This is the sequence of events as I can best tell from what happened to me:
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 23.01.14.png

Last edited: