Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X90 HW2 w EAP here

TACC's been working fine all day since this morning. What makes me cautious is that the road lines as well as vehicles in front and around me go in and out on my screen. I'm assuming, and hoping, that this has something to do with calibration – although if that were the case, I suppose TACC wouldn't be working at all.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to try AP out.

BTW, TACC is amazing but it's going to take some time for me to build up confidence with it.

From my (few hours of) experience, adjusting the car distant (quite often) to mimic the actual traffic condition can ease the anxiety a bit. For example, you see the traffic seems to be slow down from far away, increase the car distant. That's what a normal person would drive.

other than speed bump from 35 to 45mph for autosteer, any other new feature/change in the 17.3.2 compared to 2.50.185/201 (the release to the first 1000 new years eve)

From my communications with Tesla it has been all refinements of the original rollout which is a great thing.

Most significant improvement I've seen is better detection/reaction of immobile objects using TACC whereas there was NO REACTION before. :)

Because of that it won't take years. Think weeks and they up it to 55, then weeks and they up it to 65, then weeks and they take the limit off.

Months until no speed limit. And sure it'll be better next year than it is by this summer but if you think the lane keeping will be limited to 45 and under much longer you are being wildly pessimistic.

Looks like we agree that it will be months before HW2 AP is at AP1 parity. AP1 will go up to 90MPH and will work on non-interstate roads.

Elon just tweeted updates every "2 to 6 weeks". This is Elon time, so let's use 6 weeks. 45-55-65-75-85-90 is 6 steps, which is 36 weeks, which is about September of this year. Even 45-55-65-90 is half a year. Pretty far off from "December" when it was announced in Oct.

Probably just over-reacting to my annoyance that the only way I can try this is to actually go search out traffic. I'm not doing 45MPH on a highway on purpose when everyone else is doing 65 MPH. This was not the experience I expected.

Looks like we agree that it will be months before HW2 AP is at AP1 parity. AP1 will go up to 90MPH and will work on non-interstate roads.

Elon just tweeted updates every "2 to 6 weeks". This is Elon time, so let's use 6 weeks. 45-55-65-75-85-90 is 6 steps, which is 36 weeks, which is about September of this year. Even 45-55-65-90 is half a year. Pretty far off from "December" when it was announced in Oct.

Probably just over-reacting to my annoyance that the only way I can try this is to actually go search out traffic. I'm not doing 45MPH on a highway on purpose when everyone else is doing 65 MPH. This was not the experience I expected.

Could be true, but also possible there's no huge difference for the car when looking at speeds of 65 to 90mph. I think the priority is making sure it is reacting correctly, not to make sure it is reacting quickly enough, as it's already much faster than we are. Even if it reacts incorrectly at 45mph, it's probably a relatively minor incident for the driver, whereas 50mph+ could cause enough dmg to set them back years from a public relations standpoint regarding autonomous driving. I'd imagine he is referencing more than just the speed increases when he states every 2-6 weeks, including stop sign and traffic light recognition which was already demonstrated in builds people were receiving.

I was a CA 1000. Downloaded this morning. Didn't get a chance to try autosteer again, but it worked well wiht last rev at 35mph.
I don't like that they limited TACC to 75 MPH. Last rev topped at 90MPH. This morning in Sunday light traffic, I was at 75 and being passed by more cars than I was passing.

again I think that is overly pessimistic

I don't expect 6 steps to 90 mph. I see no big advantage for doing more than 2 or 3 steps to full unlimited speed. I'd say 45-55-65-90 is possible.

2 to 6 weeks per step puts you into March 2017 to May 2017. Well less than half a year (3 steps x 6 weeks is 18 weeks but half a year is 26 weeks). I'm going to go for March as a guess for full speed lane keeping with 65mph lane keeping happening in February.

And max speed isn't AP1 parity. Even if max speed is out in early March, the crossover to the day that AP2 is better than AP1 will be some number of weeks after it hits full speed lane keeping enabled.

But if you want to complain about Late December roll out vs January roll out you won't get much sympathy. Even less if you conflate the roll out with the AP1/AP2 crossover point. Everyone knew that Elon was talking about last week of December when he said

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 22 Dec 2016
Looks like we might be ready to rollout most of Autopilot functionality for HW2 towards the end of next week

because he posted that 3 days before Christmas and the end of the next week was Dec 30th one day before New Years Eve.

Yeah it slipped a couple of weeks out from that and it isn't full speed enabled but if either the slight slip or the speed restrictions surprised you then you haven't been following Tesla since the first autopilot announcement that took years to go from announced to what we have now (and AP1 is still being developed, will get better in future updates). That's Tesla Unveils Dual Motor and Autopilot Oct 2014 to Jan 2017 and it still isn't done. AP1 will have more than 3 years of development and more than 2 years of use in cars before they stop updating it, if they stop updating it.

If you are going by anything they said before December then those were "forward looking statements" and they are "“subject to risks and uncertainties."

From my (few hours of) experience, adjusting the car distant (quite often) to mimic the actual traffic condition can ease the anxiety a bit. For example, you see the traffic seems to be slow down from far away, increase the car distant. That's what a normal person would drive.

Everyones comfort level is going to be different but I have zero anxiety with TACC set to 3 car lengths, both own the freeway and surface streets. I've always been pretty "trusting" of cars, whereas my wife freaks out if I even take my hands off the steering wheel for 2 seconds (for some reason she thinks the car is going to uncontrollably veer off the road, as if the inertia isn't going to keep the car going straight).

I was a CA 1000. Downloaded this morning. Didn't get a chance to try autosteer again, but it worked well wiht last rev at 35mph.
I don't like that they limited TACC to 75 MPH. Last rev topped at 90MPH. This morning in Sunday light traffic, I was at 75 and being passed by more cars than I was passing.

That sucks. I love TACC and usually leave it at 80 on long distance. 75 cap is a bummer. Haven't tried it yet - it's pouring cats and dogs in socal.

Last edited:
This did not work for me at all driving on surface streets or highways just now. Does it only work work Autosteer is on?

Hmm. Hope others can confirm. I was looking forward to it. I haven't taken it for a spin yet it's coming down pretty heavy here in so cal. We need the rains so not complaining . On the other hand most folks here can't drive in rain , so staying out until it eases a bit.

Reactions: cdub
That sucks. I love TACC and usually leave it at 80 on long distance. 75 cap is a bummer. Haven't tried it or yet - it's outing cats and dogs in socal.

80+ is when CHP gets you "dead to rights" if they feel like issuing a ticket. I prefer unlimited but I think we will all be better off if Tesla refines the heck out of TACC and Autosteer at speeds 75 and below.

Collisions, and fatal ones especially will set Tesla and TSLA back far more than anyone of us wants in the pursuit of speed.

Reactions: DJ 240V
80+ is when CHP gets you "dead to rights" if they feel like issuing a ticket. I prefer unlimited but I think we will all be better off if Tesla refines the heck out of TACC and Autosteer at speeds 75 and below.

Collisions, and fatal ones especially will set Tesla and TSLA back far more than anyone of us wants.

Last week, we did a 500 mile road trip and did not manually use the brake or accelerator for about 460 of those miles. Had one false positive incident ( slowed down abruptly under a flyover) . But overall loved it. For parts of the drive I had to set TACC to 80-85 just to keep up with the traffic flow. Would be hard to do that with a 75 cap . Do you know if it disengages TACC if you step on the accelerator ?

Last edited:
My calibration is finally complete! TACC is nice! So far, the instrument cluster is only showing the car in front of me, and the car seems to have difficulty with lane detection (on the display - haven't been able to test autosteer yet). I was following a motorcycle, and the display showed a car that appeared to be weaving in and out of the lane, when in fact the motorcylist was driving quite normally.