Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if Tesla wants even just 1M miles on AP to test it out, each car needs to do 40 miles on AP. At 45 MPH or less. So an hour for every single car.

For me, it will take months to spend an hour on a highway at below 45 MPH,

I'm kind of surprised at that, given that you're listed as living in Seattle.
Don't you drive rush hour traffic? or do you not need to get on highway?
Because I'm pretty confidant that I-5, I-90, and 520 go less than 45mph often.
(that said, your issue returns when traffic is <5mph).

I think many of us who live in Metro Areas will make up for your situation.

My wild guess is that I'm on the highway going under 45mph but faster than 5mph at least 20 minutes per day.

I do hope they remove the 5mph restriction soon as that'll help with stop/go traffic on the highway.

only reason I bought EAP was for the slow/stop/go traffic on my night time commute.

I do hope they remove the 5mph restriction soon as that'll help with stop/go traffic on the highway.

It appears people are reading the restriction completely wrong. It says: "In general, you must be traveling at least 18 mph to engage Autosteer. When a vehicle is detected in front of you, you can engage Autosteer if you are traveling at least 5 mph, or if you are already using cruise control."

So there is no problem with TACC/Autosteer in stop and go traffic.

img_20170121_192756-jpg.211576

This quirk in our nomenclature has similarly bothered me, having lived both East and West USA (New York, New Jersey, turnpike and toll bridges, truck driver there, and California, born and returned; I still call "Fastrak" "EZPass").

Freeway in the West means divided with full speed on and off ramps but absolutely no stopped traffic of any sort, entering, exiting, turning, crossing, or anything. Of course, as with everything good and holy, the bastard Communists have corrupted that with failing to expand capacity (causing slowdowns while driving) and "meter lights" (which only metronome cars onto the freeways one or two at a time by making them stop on on ramps, an otherwise illegal thing to do on our freeways). This is using the word "free" to mean free of stopping, free of obstructions, free of pedestrians and bicyclists, free way, free of problems. It's almost a bending of the meaning of the word, and has long caused confusion. But, freeway sounds like a nice word. I'm in favor of toll roads for road maintenance, but not for income redistribution, and the commie government wants to primarily use tolls for income redistribution. But I'd love all our freeways being proper toll roads and still called freeways, if it means making them free again (of stopping).

But I don't know what the Tesla rule is. They used to be actually incorrect, referring to freeways as highways, when our California driver code clearly defines highways as not freeways. You often see signs saying "End Freeway, Begin Highway", which in code, practice, drivers' education and common use, means possible cross traffic and any type of stopped traffic control (lights, yields, stops, etc.) on a fast road, and possibly undivided, and even possible bicyclists and pedestrians. At least Tesla fixed that egregious error. The nomenclatural confusion you refer to is actually worsened for you a slight bit by their improvement of their terminology for us.

I'd prefer if they were much more specific, but I suspect they have the usual issue that their lawyers and liability concerns greatly lag their AI team progress, and that even their AI teams don't know how far the AI has or has not gotten. Clearly they could draw some better conceptual lines, though (oh no, I don't think I said that clearly).

I voted "informative" but the "funny" upvote would have been appropriate too. So many good lines in that post.

I am also getting the camera calibrating message. It seems like many of us who were on firmware .36 and have P100Ds are in calibration limbo. It could mean that the .36 firmware didn't have shadow mode and therefore our cameras weren't calibrating like the rest of the fleet.

Anyone with a P100D not have to calibrate after the update? Also, has anyone with a P100D successfully completed the calibration after the most recent update?

My 90D(not P) X received .36 update and with this ap update am also getting the calibration message. you have some weight in your theory of not having shadow on .36 update.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Me, for 1. Saw it downloading stuff off of Akamai about half an hour ago over WiFi, but kicked it off the WiFi since it's rather slow. LTE is much faster. Hope it'll just continue downloading...

From what we have seen Tesla only delivers updates via WiFi for a couple of weeks after it is made available to your car. If you don't get it downloaded after that then they will send it over the cellular data. (You can see WK057's post about it here: Firmware updates officially sooner when using WiFi)

So it might be faster to just let it download over your slower WiFi.

Interesting learning the behaviors of the car, and some items to be cautious of.

I had TACC active on surface streets and was amazed how well it worked, especially in a situation where the stopped car in front of me moved forward at the light a few feet, and my car also scooted up. Much different than my wife's car that requires the driver to press the gas pedal if stopped for more tha. 5 seconds.

On the flip side, at another intersection, I was in the right turn lane at a red light, and the car in front of me made a right after being stopped and my car wanted to surge forward. Oops.

Probably going to be mindful of not traveling in the right lane with TACC until the car starts to recognize red lights and stop signs.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and Ulmo
Yes. It's also worth remembering that we were told we'd have EAP in December. It's Jan, and we have no auto wipers, no auto headlights, no summon, no auto park, and Autosteer is limited to 45MPH.

This is only for HW2 cars. Of which there are about 25,000 now. So if Tesla wants even just 1M miles on AP to test it out, each car needs to do 40 miles on AP. At 45 MPH or less. So an hour for every single car.

For me, it will take months to spend an hour on a highway at below 45 MPH, and I assume lots of cars will be like that. So it will take a long calendar time to rack up those 1M miles because many cars won't be participating.

But Tesla has said they want more like 100M miles. Which means each car needs to do 4,000 miles on AP below 45 MPH. Which likely means years of data.

Given all of this, it's pretty unclear when autosteer will be functional at useful speeds, and that's pretty frustrating.

1. stay safe
2. Tesla is limiting your use of it to under 45
3. You are still racking up miles in shadow mode at all speeds on all roads. You don't have to stay under 45 or stay on interstates only.

Because of that it won't take years. Think weeks and they up it to 55, then weeks and they up it to 65, then weeks and they take the limit off.

Months until no speed limit. And sure it'll be better next year than it is by this summer but if you think the lane keeping will be limited to 45 and under much longer you are being wildly pessimistic.

From what we have seen Tesla only delivers updates via WiFi for a couple of weeks after it is made available to your car. If you don't get it downloaded after that then they will send it over the cellular data. (You can see WK057's post about it here: Firmware updates officially sooner when using WiFi)

So it might be faster to just let it download over your slower WiFi.
The two updates I got so far always gave the alert when it was off WiFi and I got them within a few days after showing up on ev-fw.com. Maybe it downloaded the firmware while on WiFi and it took some time to maybe verify integrity, causing the notification to show up a bit later.

Anyway: moved the car around the house, set up my access point just outside the backdoor and am watching my router like a hawk ;)

My 90D(not P) X received .36 update and with this ap update am also getting the calibration message. you have some weight in your theory of not having shadow on .36 update.
P100D here with the .36 update until today, I had to calibrate too so pretty likely 36 didn't have shadow mode.

TACC and autosteer worked flawlessly for me. Didn't find many roads for autosteer here in the UK, only motorways (there's another alternative name for all you US people! ) in heavy traffic, but it was great when it worked.

Reactions: Ulmo