Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is everyone installing and test driving already? Mine says it needs to calibrate the cameras.

You may fall in to this category:

Screenshot 2017-01-22 09.02.05.png

Reactions: Matias
Edit: Being pushed around by rain puddles made me wonder if the car has motion and sound sensors, like us humans do, for experiencing the puddles pushing us sideways and sliding in curves.
I thought about this a bit. I even think I may have experienced traction control steering the front wheels straight while I was holding the steering wheel turned in a curve that was wet under a bridge, then it returning them to my turned position, unless that was just the car sliding straight through a puddle. So, perhaps the traction control sensor capabilities mean it can at least pass information to the AI steering and driving, so it handles puddles in the full AI. (I'm limited by English in describing what I'm trying to say.)

After coffee at Los Gatos Starbucks, I came back over 17 to Vine Hill through Soquel to Seaside via Hwy 1. A few comments:

The big touch screen is so bright at night even when turned fully down that I caught myself over compensating and failed to slow for a blind spot somewhere in the Vine Hill Mountain View Old San Jose roadways. I recall it just being a puff of mist obscuring some leafy roadway for a few feet, but this caught my gut and dismayed me. I have to remember not to let myself over compensate for lighting issues. I also picked a darker app to avoid the situation again. (Tesla-Waze fills new tiles with white placeholders during movement even during night mode, basically a bug. The built in map app doesn't do that wrong.)

I stupidly let Visible Tesla turn off my charging as if I was parked at home to avoid the PG&E EV-A time of use rate change (which I didn't even do correctly, since on Saturday and Sunday it's off peak until 3pm and after 7pm), interrupting my SuperCharging at Seaside (right before I was using the rest room! Grr), but while running out to restart the charge, I saw this posted on the dash screen:

IMG_0922.JPG

It says "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable", "If issue persists, contact Tesla Service".

While coming out of Moss Landing, I noticed the lanes pretty well marked on the dash screen, but the car in front of me was determined to have jumped out of the lane when it actually didn't, a few times. I told it to report bug. (I fear this could potentially manifest badly.) It acted as if the car in front was suddenly in the right margin rather than where it actually was in the driving lane. It made this jump a few times during a curve in the dark when the car was far away in the curve.

Here I caught how far a car is seen in the dash interpretation:

IMG_0916.JPG

That seeming light smudge just under the left part of the "4" in "46" (my current speed -- almost as far from the 4 as the 4 is high) is actually the faintly displayed representation of the car in front of me. That gives you a sense of the distance it can detect a car at least as far as it's willing to tell us. I never saw it showing any other cars except the immediate car in front. That was true even as I passed a standard box tractor-trailer 18 wheeler big rig that was in the lane to my right, as well as other vehicles in my lane and lanes to my left (same or opposite direction). I have no idea if that is a display or a detection thing.

A gratuitous picture of what seems to might be a black inventory P100D with AP HW2 ready to buy:

IMG_0923.JPG

The blue aphw2 car next to it has red calipers and a rear fin, but stealth sub model marking, only revealing that it is a Model S. One is left to wonder if it too is some type of performance model, 90 or 100, Ludicrous, etc. If so, I prefer the blue

Last edited:
Have 60D delivered 12/23 w HW2. Got update in Pacific Northwest around 2am. Went out this am on an 'extended' Starbucks run. Restricted highways for sure on autopilot - for me that was interstate; Sunday am at 7am I could get away w 45mph on inside lane and not be a hazard so tested autopilot there. What others said you kinda feel like your bouncing down highway within whatever lane threshold is set by AP otherwise nothing revolutionary to report.

I'm kinda excited for Monday morning traffic to run TACC at 45mph and AP keep me 2 car lengths behind person in front of me and just ride out traffic until speeds go 45+.

Imho this is beneficial for commuter who does not sit in stop and go (AS cuts under 5mph) but has steady sub 45mph commute in. Clearly tesla wants to collect data while we are all going in same direction against other cars (restricted highways) before it puts AP up against the dogs and cats and bikes and squirrels of the burbs or the deers crossing the road at 70moh on the twisty mountain passes

Reactions: Ulmo
Does anybody know what type of driving is best to help car calibrate?

When I got my update this morning, I did about 30 miles of highway driving and a couple of city miles. It was early in the morning, so the highway driving was unencumbered by traffic. I then parked at a coffee shop for about 45 minutes, and when I got back into the car, the features were enabled. I think I heard two high pitched beeps when I opened the door, which I hadn't heard before. Not sure if that was an indication about the calibration status.

A question while my update is downloading:

People seem to be saying that auto steering works only on "freeways", but I thought the rule was only on roads with dividers. Here on the East Coast we don't have anything called a "freeway", though the Cal-centric folks at Tesla (and Apple and Google and ...) think we do. We have "Interstates" or "Highways" and we also have many divided roads that are neither. So what exactly is the rule?

PS: One reason we don't call them freeways is that many are not free. EZ-Pass has ended the hassle of toll booths, allowing the government to remove money from our wallets silently and frictionlessly.
This quirk in our nomenclature has similarly bothered me, having lived both East and West USA (New York, New Jersey, turnpike and toll bridges, truck driver there, and California, born and returned; I still call "Fastrak" "EZPass").

Freeway in the West means divided with full speed on and off ramps but absolutely no stopped traffic of any sort, entering, exiting, turning, crossing, or anything. Of course, as with everything good and holy, the bastard Communists have corrupted that with failing to expand capacity (causing slowdowns while driving) and "meter lights" (which only metronome cars onto the freeways one or two at a time by making them stop on on ramps, an otherwise illegal thing to do on our freeways). This is using the word "free" to mean free of stopping, free of obstructions, free of pedestrians and bicyclists, free way, free of problems. It's almost a bending of the meaning of the word, and has long caused confusion. But, freeway sounds like a nice word. I'm in favor of toll roads for road maintenance, but not for income redistribution, and the commie government wants to primarily use tolls for income redistribution. But I'd love all our freeways being proper toll roads and still called freeways, if it means making them free again (of stopping).

But I don't know what the Tesla rule is. They used to be actually incorrect, referring to freeways as highways, when our California driver code clearly defines highways as not freeways. You often see signs saying "End Freeway, Begin Highway", which in code, practice, drivers' education and common use, means possible cross traffic and any type of stopped traffic control (lights, yields, stops, etc.) on a fast road, and possibly undivided, and even possible bicyclists and pedestrians. At least Tesla fixed that egregious error. The nomenclatural confusion you refer to is actually worsened for you a slight bit by their improvement of their terminology for us.

I'd prefer if they were much more specific, but I suspect they have the usual issue that their lawyers and liability concerns greatly lag their AI team progress, and that even their AI teams don't know how far the AI has or has not gotten. Clearly they could draw some better conceptual lines, though (oh no, I don't think I said that clearly).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Does anybody know what type of driving is best to help car calibrate?

When I got my update this morning, I did about 30 miles of highway driving and a couple of city miles. It was early in the morning, so the highway driving was unencumbered by traffic. I then parked at a coffee shop for about 45 minutes, and when I got back into the car, the features were enabled. I think I heard two high pitched beeps when I opened the door, which I hadn't heard before. Not sure if that was an indication about the calibration status.

I received this morning on model X

Test drove but unable to get auto steer to work. Keeps on saying unavailable on this road. Tried highway but unable to go 45 on interstate.

Will try again later.

Adaptive cruise control worked. But I'm still keeping an eye on it. Cars jumped around and flickered a little too much for my liking at some points.

I have AP1 on S and I recommend everyone take it slow with AP2. Definitely feels more like the beta it is as opposed to AP1 which feels a bit more solid.

But I suspect it will get drastically better than AP1 over time.

Excited to follow this as it progresses and happy to be driving around collecting data to make it better.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and caltechkid
Drove about 20 miles on highway and city roads. Car still saying it's calibrating when trying to engage AP. Went for an errand some minutes ago and got the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable - If issue persists contact Tesla service" message... I guess I'm probably in the unlucky fews who needs to have their camera serviced... Too bad the Service Center is a 2h30 drive.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
A tip for all those who gets the message " self driving features not available , contact tesla ..." use a spray and clean out your cameras. ( I just used water and cleaned them lightly ) . Mostly the windshield of it was raining or had a bird dropping. This fixed it for me every time I got this message and it persisted . Usuallly it goes away.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Noticed now that cars show up on display not only in the lane but also adjacent. Have not tried highway yet. Just on local roads.

Question I have is: I just tried to do launch mode (75D model x, hw 2) and it warned me that both pedals were pressed. No indication of launch mode ready. Sorry for a dumb question but is launch mode just on P designated cars or is it not available because it's still not ready on hw2 cars?

• Funny
Reactions: HumanGenome
Noticed now that cars show up on display not only in the lane but also adjacent. Have not tried highway yet. Just on local roads.

Question I have is: I just tried to do launch mode (75D model x, hw 2) and it warned me that both pedals were pressed. No indication of launch mode ready. Sorry for a dumb question but is launch mode just on P designated cars or is it not available because it's still not ready on hw2 cars?

Launch mode is performance cars only.