Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded today to 17.3.15 (HW2). No cruise control. The dash display says "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable...If issue persists, Contact Tesla Service." What is this horseshit?

Attachments

• 29B72BAE-FFF5-468D-91B0-6FC71EC777C9.JPG
    29B72BAE-FFF5-468D-91B0-6FC71EC777C9.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 65
I upgraded today to 17.3.15 (HW2). No cruise control. The dash display says "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable...If issue persists, Contact Tesla Service." What is this horseshit?

Are your cameras obscured by any crud like snow or salt? You could have an issue with your radar but its probably best to call Tesla service (available 24/7). They can pull your logs and tell you more specifics. I've heard that message and come and go for people and eventually disappear without actual service needed but Telsa can say for sure.

Reactions: Ahisaac
I got this a few times inside my garage and it disappeared outside. You might also try doing scroll wheel reset of instrument cluster and touchscreen as I believe that's cleared out a lot of people's errors.

Reactions: Sather and Ahisaac
I got this a few times inside my garage and it disappeared outside. You might also try doing scroll wheel reset of instrument cluster and touchscreen as I believe that's cleared out a lot of people's errors.

Thanks! I'll check to make sure all my cams are clean and do the reset as well. The Tyso SC is close to my office in Tysons, so I'll pop over there in the afternoon if I can't resolve it. Appreciate the tips!

I managed to turn on my AP 2.0 today on the freeway during rush hour. Seemed to do okay but it had some problems maintaining a straight line at low speeds. Although the car stayed in the lane, it was weaving and I have to assume people behind me probably thought I was busy doing something other than driving. Hope it works smoother at higher speeds.

I think I have a problem guys..

I don't normally drive in traffic but I have been going out at 5pm every day just to get in to traffic and autosteer for a little bit.

I can see your point. Got my first HW2 update yesterday and this morning driving to work..."Yay! A trafic jam on the motorway!"

Maybe we should form a Tesla Motors support group?

• Funny
Reactions: wesley888
Looks like they've added a few new roads to the mix. In Charleston, SC portions of Hwy 17 now are included in addition to the interstates. AutoSteer is still very rough and incorrectly handles every off-ramp. So you basically have to disable and reenable AutoSteer every time there is an exit lane. Using AutoSteer in bright sunlight on an East-West facing highway is downright scary. When the cameras can't read the lane markings because of glare, all hell breaks loose rather than just alerting you to take control of the wheel and disabling AutoSteer.

...incorrectly handles every off-ramp. So you basically have to disable and reenable AutoSteer every time there is an exit lane.

That's very much how HW1 performed on initial release - I used to joke that when Elon said "...on ramp to off ramp..." that I didn't realize he meant it would try and get off at every off ramp. But it improved a whole lot over time and future releases.

• Funny
Reactions: Sather
I was able to use auto steer for the first time yesterday during rush hour traffic from the Nashville airport back home. I didn't realize that it would also break and accelerate on it's own like TACC. During my 40 minute commute, it did try to take an exit ramp on 2 occasions but other than that I thought that it was incredible experience. This being a version 1.0, I was extremely impressed and it far exceeded my expectations and I look forward to the refinements and enhancements.

I thought that it was incredible experience. This being a version 1.0, I was extremely impressed and it far exceeded my expectations and I look forward to the refinements and enhancements.

It's almost like riding a bike for the first time. You're scared to death when you first get going but after that, it becomes second nature. Before yesterday, I hadn't used Autopilot since a test drive last April. I was very cautious at first while learning the ropes again. This morning, I felt quite comfortable with TACC was able to use it for nearly my entire drive to work. Autosteer was only available for about one second so I didn't get to use it again. I'm sure I'll find some spots where I enable it this weekend.

Autosteer is acceptable. The 45mph limit is really killing me as I'm wishing traffic speeds drop to 45. I was able to enjoy it for 10 seconds. It did not take the two exit ramps I passed and didn't take the one I wanted to take so I disabled it and exited. It did hug closer to the right side of the lane than I like but it did not cross the lane line and the dancing line issue seemed mitigated once autosteer enabled. I disabled autosteer by tugging on the wheel to exit the highway.

Huge improvements will come. My HW1 autosteer is 1000% better today than a short year ago, trust me!

A short example:

On my daily drive to work, at a particular straight stretch (60km/h) the AP1 autosteer *always* (no exeptions) veered to the left at a certain place, and *always* (no exeptions) tried to kill me at a certain hill/elevation.

The former, I don't know the reason for, but the latter I do know: The camera is physically pointing upwards into the sky when approaching the top. AP1 completely looses control, every time.

TODAY however, somehow Tesla has fixed this. No more veering to the left, and no more suicidal hill top.

I have a very positive outlook for both AP1 and AP2 going fwd

Huge improvements will come. My HW1 autosteer is 1000% better today than a short year ago, trust me!

A short example:

On my daily drive to work, at a particular straight stretch (60km/h) the AP1 autosteer *always* (no exeptions) veered to the left at a certain place, and *always* (no exeptions) tried to kill me at a certain hill/elevation.

The former, I don't know the reason for, but the latter I do know: The camera is physically pointing upwards into the sky when approaching the top. AP1 completely looses control, every time.

TODAY however, somehow Tesla has fixed this. No more veering to the left, and no more suicidal hill top.

I have a very positive outlook for both AP1 and AP2 going fwd

That's great insight from real world driving. Thanks for sharing. I too enjoyed AP1 for a short while and now going into AP2 it's nice to hear this encouragement.

As the owner of two previous Model S vehicles, P85+, and for the past two years drove a P85D with HW1, (I now own a P100D with HW2), I can give some opinion on the "autopilot experience":

I lived through the onset of HW1 autopilot and as some posters have noted it was a bit rough around the edges when it was first released, but every update brought improvements, to the point where I had significant confidence in it in almost any driving scenario.

So far with the initial release of HW2 autopilot, the TACC features are almost on par with the HW! autopilot, a little rough around the edges. Braking is sharper but have not experienced any significant or worrisome experiences. HW2 Autosteer on the other hand to me is a definite step behind the 1st iteration of auto steer for HW1. Yes with HW1 it tried to take every exit off the highway but the stability of the car and it's position within the lane were good from the get go. HW2 auto steer so far has me concerned to even attempt to use it without significant pressure of my hands on the wheel.

I'm sure like my experience with HW1 Autopilot, each software update will bring improvements and give us ll further confidence in the car and it's maker. It's just gonna take a bit of time, and all of us driving so your car can add it's "experience" to the neural net.