Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact of the matter is that this has nothing to do with AP.

If a driver is suddenly incapable of executing control over the vehicle, it can either careen out of control or Tesla can make a best-possible guess about how to take care of the driver and those around him/her. Whether in AP or not, this is considerably better than the car just shrugging it's shoulders and saying cest la vie.

A driver that is suddenly incapacitated would therefore be *lucky* to have been in AP when his/her issue commenced.

My experience of flying many thousands of hours in airplanes, with and without autopilot, is that you are less likely to fall asleep with autopilot. The fatigue is so much lower that you can stay awake more easily.

To be fair, JST's argument is that you are much less likely to fall asleep in the no-autopilot scenario. He fears that technology will lull you into inattention and you will be more likely to require the assistance. I agree that it will increase the incidence of that happening, but my experience on the roads today with texters and overtired drivers suggests to me that scenario #1 happens far too often. I'd rather take my chances with #2, particularly since I'm confident I can remain responsible and attentive.

My experience of flying many thousands of hours in airplanes, with and without autopilot, is that you are less likely to fall asleep with autopilot. The fatigue is so much lower that you can stay awake more easily.

I was thinking this very thing, and glad you mentioned it. I drove a Q50 that had a very basic version of lane keep assist. On a particular road trip, while I wasn't 'tired' at the time, I was feeling a bit 'run down' lets call it (nothing remotely unsafe...). I then tried the lane keep function. I felt more relaxed and... alert. Now, I purposely was paying attention to the car and its 'attempts' (successful in this case as the road was pretty straight) to stay in the line. I might have also had a bit of adrenaline for all I know, knowing that i was testing this feature out. So I certainly am not saying my experience is all that typical. But the point remains that I felt better letting the car drive itself. Hearing a pilot state similar gives me hope my experience holds a bit more validity.

Nothing will help the person who is simply too tired to be driving (aside from pulling off the road and resting)... I can see the scenario now... "i'll let the car drive, just for !!5!! minutes, i'll even set an alarm to wake me up in 5, and I'll feel a bit more refreshed with that 5 minute cat nap" only for there to be a very unfortunate ending to that story.

This may be a crazy idea, but bear with me for a moment.

TACC rarely stops working. Certainly, it would seem, it is more likely to be able to function than the lane-keeping in marginal situations, from the way things sound.

TACC, using the forward facing camera, can see objects in front of the Model S.

So, when the time comes that the lane keeping software alerts are not being responded to, and the Model S is going to slow down, turn on the hazards, and attempt to get to the side of the road and stop, why not accelerate before making each lane change? The risk of the lane change with no rear facing camera is a car coming up fast in the lane the Model S would be changing in to. Even if lane-keeping wants help, presumably the forward facing camera can still tell that the path in front of the car is clear. So at the proper moment, when it appears, based on the ultrasonic sensors, etc., that it is safe to change lanes, if there is also room in front of the car, accelerate as the lane change takes place, to minimize the risk of a faster moving car coming up from behind and causing an accident. If multiple lane changes are necessary, the Tesla can slow again, before repeating this.

Remember, there's no reason to think the forward facing camera isn't going to be able to still see objects in front of it, even when lane-keeping may need help to stay within the lines, because TACC has not been regularly stopping, and we've had TACC for a while.

Crazy? Not Crazy? What do you think?

Are those stereoscopic cameras on the front of the Model X? (two triangles instead of 1 for the AP front looking camera)

attachment.php?attachmentid=96103&d=1443621260.jpg

So based on the Model X reveal, seems like no AP V2.0, and the only real improvement is the "side collision avoidance"?

Not even Tesla is tone deaf enough to start crowing about AP V2 when they still haven't released V1. I don't think we can draw any real conclusions from their failure to mention it other than that they don't have AP V1 ready for release.

Are those stereoscopic cameras on the front of the Model X? (two triangles instead of 1 for the AP front looking camera)

Someone who was at the reveal said no. I can't tell from the pictures.

We could be seeing light reflections off the rear view mirror with the center dark triangle being the bottom of the single camera module?

To me, it clearly looks like 2 cameras when I zoom in. But based on your comment about them being too close together and LetsGoFasts's comment about someone already asking and being told no, I don't get it.

In my opinion stereo cameras are coming. When I got my windshield replaced a while back they quoted me pricing for the windshield for a mono camera and it said the same thing on the invoice after the work was done. It's entirely possible that the first Model X will continue to come with mono cameras. But that the picture was taken with an internal car that already has stereo cameras.

With respect to the side collision avoidance. I'd bet that the Model S will get it. It has the side sensors. It has the ability to control steering. So I don't see a lot of reason not to implement it. Though it's entirely possible that the X has better sensors in some way that would make it behave better.

But then again for all we know the Model S coming off the line today have better sensors than the one that came off the line a year ago. I'd be surprised if no improvements have been made.