Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The text does match the script the actor read from. (He said the same line--they didn't just caption it incorrectly.)

Obviously either "This is how luxury should look today." or "This is what luxury should look like today." would be correct, but not the above.

I stopped watching at that point, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were additional errors.

Am I the only one bothered by stuff like that?
Tesla has some pretty poor wording on its web site regarding Autopilot, maybe you should have stopped reading at that point as well... lol :smile:

Touché!

I've watched this video before. I started watching it again just now.

It amazes me that companies can spend so much money on producing super-slick advertising, and screw up the English! There was something before the following that I found awkward, though not glaringly wrong, but the following is just plain wrong:

View attachment 89830

The text does match the script the actor read from. (He said the same line--they didn't just caption it incorrectly.)

Obviously either "This is how luxury should look today." or "This is what luxury should look like today." would be correct, but not the above.

I stopped watching at that point, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were additional errors.

Am I the only one bothered by stuff like that?

I assumed they were just transcribing exactly what the actor said (and not necessarily what was actually in the script). There were more than a few mispronunciations (or at least unconventional ones) that jumped out at me in the video.

Tesla has some pretty poor wording on its web site regarding Autopilot, maybe you should have stopped reading at that point as well... lol :)

Actually at the time I was reading the Tesla website (before ordering my P85D) I realized that it had basically just been cobbled together quickly, immediately after the D announcement, so if I did come across poor grammar that I would have found offensive I would have been more inclined to give Tesla a pass. That BMW ad looked like they spared no expense. They rented some multi-million dollar home, spent huge sums on shooting great footage of the car, etc. They couldn't have paid some English grad student somewhere $300 to make sure there weren't any grammatical errors in the script?

That ad is all about trying to give the feeling of luxury and being the best. For me they were doing a fine job, but that sentence was like dragging a needle across a playing record.

- - - Updated - - -

I assumed they were just transcribing exactly what the actor said (and not necessarily what was actually in the script). There were more than a few mispronunciations (or at least unconventional ones) that jumped out at me in the video.

Perhaps, but then re-shoot that part. It's not as if he acted it so brilliantly that time that he could never ever do it that way again!

Actually at the time I was reading the Tesla website (before ordering my P85D) I realized that it had basically just been cobbled together quickly, immediately after the D announcement, so if I did come across poor grammar that I would have found offensive I would have been more inclined to give Tesla a pass.

If it's been "cobbled" together, surely they would have time by now to fix it?

If it's been "cobbled" together, surely they would have time by now to fix it?

AmpedRealtor said I should have stopped reading when I had been reading the site, implying that then I wouldn't have purchased my P85D. I was responding based on what the site was like at that time.

I am in agreement with those that believe the site should be corrected now so that there is no way anyone could be misled about which features are currently available and which ones are not.

I think it's a bit late now. If the missing features are going to be released in 1-2 months, the current verbiage as it stands probably is not worth changing. They should have changed it near the start of the year (although perhaps back then there wasn't much complaint over it).

I think it's a bit late now. If the missing features are going to be released in 1-2 months, the current verbiage as it stands probably is not worth changing. They should have changed it near the start of the year (although perhaps back then there wasn't much complaint over it).
They have been 1-2 months away from releasing these features for about the last 6 months (and that's generous).

Personally, I think they jumped the gun and made it present tense. At the start of the year they probably thought to make it future tense (when the first delays hit), but they worried at the backlash at people who had just bought their cars and turned around to immediately trade it in b/c of Autopilot. So they thought, it will come out in another 1-2 months, so lets just leave it and deal with the few fires and angst our customers give us. But then, as AP got more and more delayed, it then became something they were scared to change for fear of people saying Tesla misled them. So they got stuck between a rock and a hard place and have stuck their heads in the ground to muffle the noise until AP gets released.

Dont forget, with all those advertised features, the 7 series is close to 150K, whereas most of Tesla's technology can be had in a 75K S70.

The 2016 BMW 750i X-Drive that I just configured online, with almost every option except for the executive rear seat package, came to around $122k. That also includes the M Sport package. That's only $17,000 more than a well equipped Model S 85D, which has the same acceleration as the 7 Series (4.2 seconds). Of course I would not consider the car because it is not an EV, but if that is not important to someone, it represents a better (and much more luxurious) overall vehicle than the Model S at roughly a similar price. Elon said his goal was to make the best car, not the best EV. When comparing to the 7 Series, Elon has a long way to go. I say this with love and affection for Tesla because I'd like them to be better than BMW.

Amped, I think you put too little weight on the things for which any other luxury cars cannot compete. The instant torque, smooth drivetrain, full charge every morning, lack of oil changes, quiet ride, lack of shifting, increased storage space, low cost per mile, etc...I could go on.

In my mind, and in a lot of people's minds, a "plush" interior and gadgets don't even come close to making up for the fundamental flaws of an ICE drivetrain.

@Todd, don't you think in a couple of years, you'll have EVs from Merc/BMW that will have plush interiors and good tech?

I also just received an email titled "Gift certificate for a Tesla Model S" - which is basically the referral program, but here is an excerpt from it,

----
Coming in a few weeks via an over-the-air update are the highway autosteer and parallel autopark functions. When asked, the car will automatically control steering going down the freeway, dramatically reducing driver workload. It will also automatically parallel park with precision.

In a few months, you will be able to press a button on your Tesla phone app and the car will open your garage and put itself to bed. You will also be able to summon it from your garage if it isn't plugged in. It needs the Tesla Snakebot for that! https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/629305813912326146
----

So, a few weeks, I'm still betting 2 months, i.e. end of Q3 for Autosteer and Parallel Park.
The summon and park in garage, probably mid next year.

I guess we just need to sit back and be patient. Not ideal, but no other choice.

Mercedes and BMW are not going to come out with a EV that truly competes with Tesla because that would canabalize their very profitable high end lines. They and their dealers have too much invested ICE to let that happen. If someone prefers the German tech or interiors of their ICE cars that's ok. Not every car can have everything that everyone wants. Tesla should focus on its strengths and not try to compete on their turf. There are more than 15,000,000 cars sold in the U.S. each year. For Tesla to get up to 500,000 is only 3% market share. Certainly there are 3% of car buyers who would want what Tesla will offer, which will be the best EV technology and supercharging network.