Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure that you're not, perhaps, stretching this just a little bit? :)

I travel a lot and cannot imagine any appreciable difference in my travel plans simply because the car now has a button that tells it stay in it's lane by itself. For me, the ACC makes far more difference than the lane keeping ever would.

That's kind of my thinking too. If there was a trip you had ever done in a gas car would you then fly because your car didn't have autopilot? If it were truly autonomous driving then I'd consider stretching the distance I would drive greatly but not what Tesla is coming out with. It will make travel easier but I'm not all of a sudden going to go on a 2,000 mile drive with autopilot when I never would have considered doing this in a non-autopilot car. Just me though.

Same for me - center console comes with cup holders, 2 in the normal NexGen armrest and 2 in the back because of the Executive Seats option.

But remember, don't drink and drive.
You might hit a bump and spill it.

Haha... so true.

I never have drinks in my car, but recently I had an energy drink in the cup holder. Shortly after leaving the 7/11, I had to some... spiritied driving... against an M5. As I flew around the corner to my house, I remembered the drink. I panicked and rushed my hand over to try and catch it, but it was firmly in the cupholder, so I just knocked it all over my front seat instead. I laughed, cried, and then laughed some more.

Never again.

"A few" can in no conceivable, realistically conversational way be more than 11 when referring to months, which is the word that came next. Anything more than 11 months is a year.

Give me the legal definition of 'a few' or 'some' or 'quite a bit' or 'more than most'. The point is it's vague. If you pinned a certain time frame based off 'a few' not sure what to say. I too would expect 'a few' to be less than 6 months or so but not everyone interprets things the same way. If Elon has said "lane keeping will roll out on March 3rd" then by all means you have a date to pin your hopes on but he didn't.

It was announced 11 month ago. They didn't say lane keeping would come out immediately, did they? They said 'a few' and are obviously late but not 11 months. Most people were expecting the summer I bet which we are now leaving.

Last edited:
Are you sure that you're not, perhaps, stretching this just a little bit? :)

I travel a lot and cannot imagine any appreciable difference in my travel plans simply because the car now has a button that tells it stay in it's lane by itself. For me, the ACC makes far more difference than the lane keeping ever would.

That's kind of my thinking too. If there was a trip you had ever done in a gas car would you then fly because your car didn't have autopilot? If it were truly autonomous driving then I'd consider stretching the distance I would drive greatly but not what Tesla is coming out with. It will make travel easier but I'm not all of a sudden going to go on a 2,000 mile drive with autopilot when I never would have considered doing this in a non-autopilot car. Just me though.

Well, in case you don't already know, I travel *a lot*. I put 25,000 miles on my P85 in 10 months, plus non-driving travel. This year I was to cut that miles driven number down quite a bit. Before I ever heard about the P85D I already had plans set to fly to some places this summer (continental USA), saving about ~8000 miles of driving in total for 2015. When I ordered the P85D with the assurance from many folks at Tesla that autopilot would for sure be available by summer I figured it would be worth driving at least a good chunk of it using autopilot to make the trips a bit easier and also save the money and aggravation of flying/renting cars.

To each their own. If it's not important to you, so be it. But don't try to make it out like I'm "stretching" anything or otherwise being ridiculous about this. Feel free to acquire witness testimony from the folks at Tesla with whom I discussed this all at length while considering placing the P85D order if need be.

Well, in case you don't already know, I travel *a lot*. I put 25,000 miles on my P85 in 10 months, plus non-driving travel. This year I was to cut that miles driven number down quite a bit. Before I ever heard about the P85D I already had plans set to fly to some places this summer (continental USA), saving about ~8000 miles of driving in total for 2015. When I ordered the P85D with the assurance from many folks at Tesla that autopilot would for sure be available by summer I figured it would be worth driving at least a good chunk of it using autopilot to make the trips a bit easier and also save the money and aggravation of flying/renting cars.

To each their own. If it's not important to you, so be it. But don't try to make it out like I'm "stretching" anything or otherwise being ridiculous about this. Feel free to acquire witness testimony from the folks at Tesla with whom I discussed this all at length while considering placing the P85D order if need be.

I don't doubt that's what you were told but you ended up back to your original plans that you would have done had you held off on ordering the P85D and kept the P85, right? Sure you get the P85D earlier than you might have but it is not like the P85D is no different than the P85 and you got no benefit for driving it over the last 10 months. TACC is something my P85 will never have and would like to have that.

I expect Musk will be considerably more cautious in announcing upgrades based on this experience. I would be frustrated too in your situation. Presumably the wait is almost over.

Future software gets even more complicated. I'm sure the delay is caused primarily by unforeseen situations and software reactions.

I figured it would be worth driving at least a good chunk of it using autopilot to make the trips a bit easier and also save the money and aggravation of flying/renting cars.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about the usability of Autopilot, especially when the feature has not been tested or tried by anyone outside of Tesla's strictly controlled environment. There are discussions of nag screens, or requiring driver input on a regular basis. The Autopilot will probably be as good at its job as TACC was when it was first released. In other words, it will require a lot of babysitting.

I understand you had some idea in your head about what Autopilot would be, and that informed your plans, however I'm pretty sure that there is going to be quite a gap between what you think it is and what it really is going to be. To assume that relying on Autopilot would make your travels easier is a big stretch, in my opinion, because you are presuming facts that are not in evidence about a feature that doesn't exist yet.

"A few" can in no conceivable, realistically conversational way be more than 11 when referring to months, which is the word that came next. Anything more than 11 months is a year.
Tesla actually said "several". There is a difference between "several" and "a few". Several usually refers to more than "a few". "Several months" would usually be less than 1 year though.

I wasn't a Model S owner during the last major SW overhaul. Did Tesla post an instructional video / users guide before to let owners become familiar with the changes?

Has there been a major SW overhaul? I think this is the first one really. But no, updated manual and release notes are about what we get with most changes.

Edit: I see this thread has come full circle and we're back to arguing about what words mean.

Tesla actually said "several". There is a difference between "several" and "a few". Several usually refers to more than "a few". "Several months" would usually be less than 1 year though.

Well if they said several then that gives them a lot more wiggle room. Go to a bar and ask someone in their mid 20s 'how many beers is several?' and ask someone in their 80s the same question. You'll likely get vastly different answers.

I agree with you.

None of us are alike. Ludicrous mode, though fun, doesn't float my boat but it would be silly of me to criticize someone for spending the extra $10K for it.

I think you've been more than patient waiting for the features promised to you when you bought your Tesla. Too bad Tesla didn't at least offer you compensation. $50 per month or an equivalent service would have made a difference, I think. At least they'd be recognizing the inconvenience.

I expect Musk will be considerably more cautious in announcing upgrades based on this experience. I would be frustrated too in your situation. Presumably the wait is almost over.

Future software gets even more complicated. I'm sure the delay is caused primarily by unforeseen situations and software reactions.

Do you mean like the recent Ludicrous mode upgrade (that service centers still have zero information on?). Elon is Elon; don't expect change.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about the usability of Autopilot, especially when the feature has not been tested or tried by anyone outside of Tesla's strictly controlled environment. There are discussions of nag screens, or requiring driver input on a regular basis. The Autopilot will probably be as good at its job as TACC was when it was first released. In other words, it will require a lot of babysitting.

I understand you had some idea in your head about what Autopilot would be, and that informed your plans, however I'm pretty sure that there is going to be quite a gap between what you think it is and what it really is going to be. To assume that relying on Autopilot would make your travels easier is a big stretch, in my opinion, because you are presuming facts that are not in evidence about a feature that doesn't exist yet.
Precisely. I also completely understand the anger re. a feature you purchased the car for is missing - that's fair and obvious. But the assumption that, sight unseen and unvetted, it would be capable of reducing the stress of 25K miles over the summer is beyond unrealistic. Especially if this was important, required traveling.

I think you've created expectation that Model S would not have been able to fulfill in any case. Given your angst over the claimed horsepower as well, I am just not sure if the Model S is for you.

Well if they said several then that gives them a lot more wiggle room. Go to a bar and ask someone in their mid 20s 'how many beers is several?' and ask someone in their 80s the same question. You'll likely get vastly different answers.

The website or Elon said something to the effect of "the features will be rolled out over the next several months", right? Assuming that is right, or approximately right, then I think it is fair to say that had the expectation been that the length of time in question was actually twelve months, the statement would have been "...rolled out over the next year." In fact, even if it was expected to take ten or eleven months, "...rolled out over the next year" would be more appropriate than "...rolled out over the next several months."