Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, in the meantime why can they not release the autopilot self-parking? Self parking should not be too white concrete / white lane marking contrast dependent, if driven at the limited speed, right? I am sticking to my speculation that Tesla need more and better sensors.

According to someone who interviewed for a job with Tesla, Tesla hasn't even hired anyone to code the phone app portion of the self-parking and summoning features. So that stuff probably won't even get released with the Autopilot, it will come later.

I don't know what's fair. I just know I bought a $90k car with a $5k option because of this feature. And 6 months later I don't have that feature. That's all I know.

Yeah - same goes for me - as many others probably. Traded in my P85 with a huge loss to step up to the P85D merely because of the Autopilot features. If you compare how the latter was being presented at the D event and now hearing the issues they appear to have with lane marking contrast issues that does not feel good (and that is an understatement).

According to someone who interviewed for a job with Tesla, Tesla hasn't even hired anyone to code the phone app portion of the self-parking and summoning features. So that stuff probably won't even get released with the Autopilot, it will come later.

I wouldn't assume that someone being interviewed, who didn't have to sign an NDA, actually knows any real information.

For what it's worth, you aren't getting nothing for that $5k (there's still TACC, Auto High Beam, Forward Collision Warning, Automatic Emergency Braking, Blind spot warning).

Actually you got TACC and auto-highbeams. The safety features are included with a base car.

ETA: Nevermind, this was before the design studio upgrade. In that case he also got lighted door handles, keyless entry, power lift gate, etc.

Last edited:
You are referring to this promise, I think, just to refresh everyone's memory:

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

Two promises: 155 MPH top speed and an additional "OTA firmware upgrade to... improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside of Tesla has experienced to date." Today's announcement sure sounds like the latter to me, but word parsers may disagree. In my book, it feels like Tesla couldn't deliver on the OTA promise to increase the power output, so now existing P85D owners have a $5,000 upgrade. That doesn't sit well with me, but I could be misinterpreting the above, quoted promise.
I read this the exact same way, and I feel a bit sad about it. Have been looking forward to that update since I got the car in February:( really not uplifting if Tesla tries to sweep this under the rug. Especially if autopilot is a no go for a long time.

Hmm...that's amusing, someone who is not a Tesla employee claims to have inside information on what Tesla programmers are dong with the phone app based on being interviewed?

Hmm...that's amusing, someone who is not a Tesla employee claims to have inside information on what Tesla programmers are dong with the phone app based on being interviewed?

My guess is that, if there's any truth to this, it's that the candidate was being interviewed for development work on the iOS/phone app. Perhaps during the interview, they said the position would work on addition of some new features, including self-parking, etc., and the candidate took that to mean they didn't have anyone working on it. I'll be generous and say it was likely a misunderstanding.

Yeah - same goes for me - as many others probably. Traded in my P85 with a huge loss to step up to the P85D merely because of the Autopilot features. If you compare how the latter was being presented at the D event and now hearing the issues they appear to have with lane marking contrast issues that does not feel good (and that is an understatement).

If it's any consolation, if you traded early (closer to the announcement) then you likely got much more value for your P85 than today's sellers. I know that doesn't solve the core issue, but the upgrade might have cost you more in depreciation if you had waited.

"D" autopilot demo drive was on asphalt with thick white lines, no wonder it worked perfectly.
Tesla Model S P85D AWD and auto-pilot demo - YouTube

Thanks for the video. That's the first time I've actually seen it in action. I don't know if I could comfortably drive a car without holding the wheel. What happens if you hold the wheel -- how much force does it exert? I assume it's easy to override but it might be nice if it takes a bit of force so you can keep your hands on the wheel while it drives you. Still that seems odd.

I wonder how this works on real street driving since there are few road lines like those in the video -- at least for any significant amount of time. I also assume it's useless in the snow but even after the snow, because of the salt, sand and ploughing, many of our road lines are barely visible and need painting yearly, at least on our interior highways where this would be nice to have. Often, we can't even see where the road lines are. If it's relying on road lines only, I can see major issues, at least for in Canada.

I'm surprised that the current laws allows this. Are there any other brands of vehicles on the road that currently do this?

If it's any consolation, if you traded early (closer to the announcement) then you likely got much more value for your P85 than today's sellers. I know that doesn't solve the core issue, but the upgrade might have cost you more in depreciation if you had waited.

Thanks for the compassion..:tongue:that might very well be true. Also, since the us$ gained quite against the € I paid a lower purchase price as prices have been raised quite a bit for us since my order. The main reason for stepping up was really autopilot / lane keeping and by no means did I anticipate having to wait that long from when I ordered last year. No regrets btw - I love my P85D,

It does add some color to the fact that when Elon says he's testing it personally, he means he is testing it on the 405.

To those wondering why they don't release it and have it simply say it can't work in some circumstances, well, unfortunately those circumstances happen to be Elon's commute, and he's not going to let that go.

Here is why it's taking so long...

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/What-s-holding-back-Tesla-s-self-driving-car-6391158.php

Jeff

EDIT: Okay so sorry about missing the boat on this one, didn't want to delete my post since the article is "new" although it looks like what you guys already knew...